Rebuild next step: sorting the engine

ToddA1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'96 B4V, '97 B4 (sold), '97 Jetta (scrapped)
Camshaft has play...? Is this a new cam? Do you have the original cam?

-Todd

lisab4

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 Passat B4 1.9 TDI
Original one as for as I know. Had the whole head rebuilt. Don't know what he did, but don't think he replaced the head.

ToddA1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'96 B4V, '97 B4 (sold), '97 Jetta (scrapped)
Curious if the cam bearings were aline bored... this may be your issue. There shouldn’t be noticeable play. Not sure if any type of repair sleeve bearings are available for this.

-Todd

iluvmydiesels

Veteran Member
TDI
AHU
I've also seen that the camshaft has play in it. I see the bolt from the camshaft gear move when the engine is running. it is noticeably going up and down.(
so you havent really given too much other info on this. is the camshaft gear also 'moving' like the cam bolt?? if the cam has play the gear would also 'move' id think. is it the stock bolt? did you happen to put a different bolt and washer in?
for one id turn the crank to TDC and check out if its still in time. then check that the bolt is tight!!. make sure its @ about 45ftlbs.

Digital Corpus

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'97 B4 w/ 236K mi body, 46K mi soul
Curious if the cam bearings were aline bored... this may be your issue. There shouldn’t be noticeable play. Not sure if any type of repair sleeve bearings are available for this.

-Todd
None are around that I'm aware of, but come could be made to fit if the right dimensions and machining is done.

lisab4

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 Passat B4 1.9 TDI
I'm putting her back together as we speak and will send her off to a shop afterwords. I know too little myself to keep trying. I do not want to cause further damage. I'll keep you informed regarding the diagnosis.

lisab4

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 Passat B4 1.9 TDI
Play turned out to be minor and no problem. The problem with running rough was bad timing and a stuck injector. All should hopefully be OK now.

lisab4

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 Passat B4 1.9 TDI
And a leaking diesel pump to add to the list:/ But I'm getting there :)