ALH turbo oil feed line fitting faulty?

earthtobase

TDI
yes
i have an oil feed line fitting at top of turbo, i am torque-ing approaching 30lbs., and i notice a shave of metal coming out of side of fitting, about 7/16inch, coming out of hole in side of fitting. i have to shim with wood the 90deg. bend to prevent this from touching the exh.manifold, and thus the 90deg. bend entering the fitting is ever-so-slight canted. i have photos but cannot attach here. does any of this sound odd to anyone? can anyone confirm what the oil line fittings torque should be? i'll guess 15ft.lbs.

Last edited:

elroy

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI GLS
what engine model because the alh motor doesn't use a 90deg fitting. Just a straight JIC fitting into the turbo.

Rembrant

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Golf TDI DSG
...does any of this sound odd to anyone? can anyone confirm what the oil line fittings torque should be? i'll guess 15ft.lbs.
It does sound a bit odd, yes...and 30 ft/lbs does seem high.

I had to replace the supply line union/washer on top of the turbo on my ALH Beetle, and I installed a new oil supply line, but I didn't torque either of them. Just installed hand tight with a wrench.

Pictures would help...

earthtobase

TDI
yes
banjo bolt torque confirmed, therefore other end of oil line torque confirmed

http://vwts.ru/engine/alh_ahh_1_9.pdf ...this pdf document confirms the banjo bolt torque to be 15ft.lbs., therefore the torque of oil line fitting to union at top of turbo should be 15ft.lbs. as well. union at top of turbo, seated into turbo 30ft.lbs. according to myturbodiesel.com. i was absent-mindedly torque-ing to 30ft.lbs. because for whatever reasons this turbo job is making me psychotic?! or confused, or something (a long story). anyway, i have another oil line ordered on ebay, and all oil lines that i have seen on whichever auto parts website, they all have 90degree bend into top of turbo union. my 2000 golf 1.9 alh tdi built in wolfsburg, germany has original garrett non-function turbo as of last time i drove it, killed by egr of course, the dirty little secret of the tdi... the oil feed line which i received bundled with the turbo 'kit' had shrink tubing which did strike me as el-cheapo, and so anyway i believe i ruined this line by over-torque-ing.

elroy

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI GLS
Best bet is get a stainless braided line with the fitting. The stock line needs the support bracket or else will crack and spew oil where it meets the turbo. Know this through experience unfortunately.

SoCalC

Veteran Member
Looks like TDI guru in Colorado didn’t support the new factory hard line installed at 239k with new -17 when original -15 blew. I am Inatalling a flex line. Took about 55k miles to break enough to put significant oil on ground. Want stuff done right you often have to do it yourself even after paying good money for so called guru expert shops sometimes.

SoCalC

Veteran Member
I just had a 3’ line made by TMR in Orange Ca. I still need to get the fitting off the turbo which seems to take an act of Congress. Any got rid of rhe banjo, going straight in. Same at other end based on what I’m seeing. Just hope I’m not short. Bought extra banjo side replacement fitting in case that’s what is on turbo side too. Somehow doubt it, but the other is a M10x1.0 looks like his guess given 14 mm hex. Hose is -4an PTFE