Buy 2012 Touareg TDI Now or after the 21st?

johnt26

TDI
2009 Jetta Sedan
Hey All,
I need some advice please.

I have a deposit on a 2012 Touareg TDI LUX. The dealer is allowing me to wait until after the 21st when VW announces the "fix" before I pick it up. I asked for that just in case the "fix" will have a detrimental effect on power or economy, if it does we will renegotiate the price or not buy it.

Should I pick it up before the 21st so I'm possibly eligible for any compensation for owners or is the thought that the $5,000 compensation I hear being thrown around would only be for people that owned the truck before 11/2015 when the scandal broke for the V6 vehicles?

The rumors are that the V6 TDI will only need, at most a new Cat and a software change to add more Ad Blue. That's not a big deal but it's only a guess. I also read that rumor and it didn't include the 2012 vehicles, only 13-16, any idea why, is the 2012 different or a simple omission?

So, to buy now or wait, thanks for your opinions!

John

atc98002

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat TDI SEL Premium (sold back), 2009 Jetta (sold back), 80 Rabbit diesel (long gone)
I'm not so sure they will announce anything for the V6 TDI yet. Everything that's been mentioned has only dealt with the 2.0.

That said, I'm not sure I'd hesitate if I was in the market for a Touareg TDI. Like you said, they didn't include all years so it's possible the 2012 you're looking at needs no modification. Still, the dealer has given you a generous amount of time to decide, and I'd personally take it, just in case.

Yeti35

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Touareg V6 TDI
09 -15 are included in whatever is going on with them. They still have not officially come out and said what the situation really is on the 3.0. I have heard of no compensation for the 3.0 crowd, just the 2.0.

NoobyT

Veteran Member
TDI
N/A
You'd be mad to consider buying any Tdi VW at the moment.

The 3.0 may be okay, then again it may not.

I very much doubt you'll pick up $5K.

Why risk your hard earned cash buying what many currently regard as a melon sized lemon?

Savageman69

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2012 Highline Touareg TDI
lol i would and i did buy one post scandal. Best car ive had i love this touareg

3.0 tdi is amazing engine in a awesome chassis, now is the time to buy...prices are down from fools who are scared and selling. You will not lose the car, if there is a buy back it will be voluntary. I did it and would do it in a heart beat, id be surprised if i dont try and step up to a r line 16 when they release them

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
I would wait until the 21st. While I don't expect they'll announce anything specifically for the 3.0 V6, I think we will get some sort of indication of Volkswagen's general intent. Buying now would be premature, in my opinion, unless you don't care about the outcome of Dieselgate.

atc98002

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat TDI SEL Premium (sold back), 2009 Jetta (sold back), 80 Rabbit diesel (long gone)
The only discussion about buy backs and cash payments have all been for the 2.0. Absolutely nothing has been publicized about the 3.0. Also, if you were not the registered owner back in September when this all hit the fan don't expect any compensation, as you purchased after it became known.

Savageman69

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I would wait until the 21st. While I don't expect they'll announce anything specifically for the 3.0 V6, I think we will get some sort of indication of Volkswagen's general intent. Buying now would be premature, in my opinion, unless you don't care about the outcome of Dieselgate.
in which case if lets say they release its just a software update for 3.0 per say....used prices will likely jump back up, i think now is the time for price point to buy but then again i dont care about dieselgate and never will
The only discussion about buy backs and cash payments have all been for the 2.0. Absolutely nothing has been publicized about the 3.0. Also, if you were not the registered owner back in September when this all hit the fan don't expect any compensation, as you purchased after it became known.
we dont know this...the 1000 dollar sorry incentive money was offered to new owners after dieselgate release, so who really knows, if there is anything more to come

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
Yep. Let's not get too far into the realm of speculation about what might or might not happen. My recommendation to not buy before June 21st stands unless you really want it and don't care about Dieselgate.

johnt26

TDI
2009 Jetta Sedan
Thanks for all the replies.
We are planning on buying on Friday and see what happens.
If a fix comes out on the 21st, VW dealers may have to stop selling the used TDIs just like the new ones until they are "fixed".
We will see...

Zannie

TDI
Touareg
Make sure to get an extended warranty or set aside a repair fund to cover issues that may arise. Also read up on buying a used Touareg at mytreg and clubtouareg to get an idea of issues.

CSR Penfab

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 Touareg Lux Tdi
I bought my 2016 right after the 2.0 scandal broke, and I took advantage of the $2k in incentive money. If I was you, I would not touch a Tdi 3.0 right now, there are too many downsides. What if there is a fix, but it robs power, mpg and uses a ton of AdBlue?? They may compensate owners for this, but no you since you bought post-scandal. What if there is a fix but used values tank due to VW's **** reputation and the way they handled this?? Again, too many downsides.

Savageman69

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I bought my 2016 right after the 2.0 scandal broke, and I took advantage of the $2k in incentive money. If I was you, I would not touch a Tdi 3.0 right now, there are too many downsides. What if there is a fix, but it robs power, mpg and uses a ton of AdBlue?? They may compensate owners for this, but no you since you bought post-scandal. What if there is a fix but used values tank due to VW's **** reputation and the way they handled this?? Again, too many downsides.
first off we dont know anything at all about the 3.0 fix...added adblue usage will do nothing to the power or mpg...and use a ton of adblue lol even if it was double its what 20 bux for 10k miles lol
im glad so many think like this, makes buying a touareg at stupid low price so easy....paranoia is real

BarryT82

Veteran Member
TDI
‘12 JSW TDI
I doubt you'd qualify for any money from VW. The Goodwill program only applied to people who purchased cars before November 8, 2015. The price of the Q5 and Q7 is down too. They were cheaper a few months ago and went back up a little.

CSR Penfab

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 Touareg Lux Tdi
first off we dont know anything at all about the 3.0 fix...added adblue usage will do nothing to the power or mpg...and use a ton of adblue lol even if it was double its what 20 bux for 10k miles lol
im glad so many think like this, makes buying a touareg at stupid low price so easy....paranoia is real
No paranoia einstein, just saying I'd wait this out first... I could care less about the cost of added DEF usage, but if that is a result, VW will be forced to compensate or maybe even buy back in CARB states like CA where I live. It's all speculation until we hear news, so why jump in now????

Jumping into any Tdi right now is not a smart move and that was my point.

Savageman69

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I doubt you'd qualify for any money from VW. The Goodwill program only applied to people who purchased cars before November 8, 2015. The price of the Q5 and Q7 is down too. They were cheaper a few months ago and went back up a little.
wrong bought my touareg january and i got my 1000

Savageman69

Top Post Dawg
TDI
No paranoia einstein, just saying I'd wait this out first... I could care less about the cost of added DEF usage, but if that is a result, VW will be forced to compensate or maybe even buy back in CARB states like CA where I live. It's all speculation until we hear news, so why jump in now????
Jumping into any Tdi right now is not a smart move and that was my point.
compensation for added adblue usage...really has vw ever stated on paper a expected usage...and you realize all other brands using adblue use 2x or more...so no i dont think you should get any compensation if this is the case.

Yeti35

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Touareg V6 TDI
I'd love an R50, but if I had one, I'd never want to drive it for fear of having an accident. Talk about a rare collector's item!
No worries, you won't find one here anyhow. Never were imported to NA. Lots of people making regular V10's into them with the body kits, but not real R50's.