Oil for a 2006 BRM in Florida?

turdlarsen

TDI
2006 Jetta tdi
Look guys, sorry for so many inquisitive posts, but after spending the past 3 hours searching about what oil to put in my vehicle, I am obviously more confused than when I began. 5w30 or 5w40? Everybody has their own theory. I was looking at Pentosin High Performance II Full Synthetic Motor Oil 5W-40. Or should i stick with a 5w30? Not looking for some magical cam shield, just some decent oil for my tropics that most can agree on. Cheers!

ymz

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI Wagon, 2003 Jetta TDI Wagon
How's your camshaft doing???

Technically, your car's supposed to use a VW spec 505.01-rated oil... most here would say that a 5W-40 is better than the VW-supplied 5W-30...

That said, many here like to use the old standbys Rotella T6 and Mobil-1 "Turbo-Diesel Truck" - both 5W-40, both usually available at many WalMart's in the U.S... yes, even in a PD-engine...

Isn't the VW-world just wonderful ????

Yuri

Jnitrofish

Veteran Member
TDI
2005.5, 2005.5, and 2006. 5m, 5m, and DSG.
Not looking for some magical cam shield, just some decent oil for my tropics that most can agree on. Cheers!

First bold: Good, cause you wont find one.
Second bold: Hah, good luck with that, as you know from searching, we cant agree on many things when it comes to oil and the PD engine, this thread won't change that.

You will find here (like on the rest of the forums) we will mostly agree on a 5w40 505.01, TDT, or T6, with a few lesser used (but not neccearaly lesser quality) oils sprinkled about. Just about any 5w40 oil is decent, those are the better choices.

I wish you safe travels. :)

Last edited:

Henrick

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf VI TDI, 77 kW (CAYC)
I would use nothing but Mobil1 Turbo Diesel Truck 5w-40 if I'd live in States.

Marinel

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
TDT or T6 would do just fine and its more readily available than 505.01. Ive been using TDT since I bougnt my TDI last year. Its a very good oil and theres plenty if info on here to back that up.

turdlarsen

TDI
2006 Jetta tdi
i'll prolly go with the pentosin, although maybe possibly the tdt. I had my oil changed at the dealer for 90 bucks 2k ago before I knew right from left. I'm going to dump the 10w30 in 3k. Haven't seen the camshaft, realistically I'm banking on the timing belt service for the cam check at 80k. and then just drive like a slow drippy turd until then.

Jnitrofish

Veteran Member
TDI
2005.5, 2005.5, and 2006. 5m, 5m, and DSG.
He has oil problems IMHO, that might trigger or escalate an accelerated failure event...

By the way, slow drippy turd isn't really good for the rest of your engine, drive it normal. If its going to fail, it will fail either way. Just don't sustain wide open throttle with the 10w-30, turbo probably can cook that 10w-30 pretty easy.

If you are in warranty and that's important to you, keep the 505.01, otherwise go with TDT, or T6 (T6 is actually cheaper and somewhat easier to find, but still as good or slightly better than TDT -- I changed from TDT to T6).

Last edited: