Marrige of upper grill to lower grill ?

quigley

TDI
2006.5 jetta
For anyone who has done this install I would appreciate advice on how to install the upper Hillside grill to the lower VW grill. The tabs on the lower grill do not marry to the upper. Do I have to remove the lower grill if so how do I remove it. There are no screws and VW dealers I called havn't a clue even there body shops on how to replace the grill. Thanks.

LF06VWJTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
06 MkV Jetta TDI
quigley said:
For anyone who has done this install I would appreciate advice on how to install the upper Hillside grill to the lower VW grill. The tabs on the lower grill do not marry to the upper. Do I have to remove the lower grill if so how do I remove it. There are no screws and VW dealers I called havn't a clue even there body shops on how to replace the grill. Thanks.
There are screws holding on top of the lower grille holding the lower and upper grilles together. Regular Phillips.
Unscrew, Remove the upper grille first. Then just pull the lower straight out.
Pretty straightforward, really. Some of these VW techs should be hanged...:rolleyes:

quigley

TDI
2006.5 jetta
That's what Hillside implied, but looking at the lower assembly it seems to be entwined with front surround which seems to be one piece. I will go give it another tug. Thanks.

quigley

TDI
2006.5 jetta
LF06VWJTDI. You are correct. VWvortex forum confirms, but I tugged as hard as I care to. It just seems something is going to break. Perhaps the dealer can do it .... I'm to CS.

v70rsik

Veteran Member
TDI
GTI..soon TDI
You need to pop off the top of the lower grill. There are 4 or 6 tabs along the top of the lower grill. Just put the flathead between the two...twist and pull with your other hand. You have to be a little rough.

scrichy84

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta, Manual
Some times you can get your fingers back to the tabs and pop them out as you pull, work you way around the grille and it shoud come. I started at one of the upper corners and then went around the bottom. I spent about 40 minutes fighting with mine to get it to come off.

It will come off, I promise! It is just those plastic clips that hold it in place.