www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > Upgrades (non TDI Engine related)

Upgrades (non TDI Engine related) The place of handling, lighting and other upgrades that do not relate to the performance or economy of the TDI engine. In other words upgrades to your TDI that don't fit into TDI Fuel Economy & TDI Engine Enhancements.Please note the Performance Disclaimer

Old December 29th, 2018, 09:16   #2596
2000alhVW
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2000 Golf

Are there actually 2 dust tin plates?
I've looked up "06a 103 645" and "06a 103 645 m" with and without the spaces. I get the exact same results with both searches.

Additionally, ECS tuning returns "no results" when searching specifically for 06A 103 645 M
2000alhVW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2019, 14:05   #2597
MyFastVDub

Default Dust Tins/Cover

I'm gathering parts to do the swap on my 2003 GTI
Not exactly sure on tins/covers myself; found all these...

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-...ate/06a103645/

038103645A (cover behind the drive flange)
https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-...te/038103645a/

068103621E (Upper Cover Plate)
https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-...te/068103621e/

068103648K (Lower Cover Plate)
https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-...te/068103648k/
MyFastVDub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2019, 18:00   #2598
DCELL
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 44mpg ave

The first two work together. The pictures are deceiving but the second one in your list isn’t like 2”x4”. There is also a screw and washer that join them and allow the little plate to swing out. I don’t know about the other two, they don’t look like parts I’ve used in a swap, but maybe those part numbers superceded?
Old March 18th, 2019, 18:18   #2599
Petesaguytdi
Veteran Member

Hey wondering if anyone in the know can advise on something regarding the the wiring for the 2004 Bew auto to standard swap. 2004 Jetta tdi wagon

I have run into some confusion with the process where is it states for the starter interlock wiring to check the wires for any unwanted ecu connections. I do have the Bentley but following the wiring diagrams has the best of me so far.

Wondering are there supposed to be connections from these wires at the ecu, ie one connection but more than that indicating some kind of short or altered wiring.

I have continuity between blk/blue (at relay connector) to Blk/Grn on pin 35 of the smaller ecu connector.

Hoping I am overthinking the instructions, but just concerned with blowing up an ecu.

Appreciate any insight from anyone running into the same concern.
99.5 A4 Jetta, ~359,000km Ventectomy, neoprene swaybar bushings,Koni FSD's, Shine rear bar, a4 deluxe tb kit. dieselgeek skid plate,sigma 5 shifter, vag-com, Euro110hp version vnt15, pp520's, Aligator Kerma level 1, Tdi heater, vr6 clutch/g60 flywheel, CAT fuel filter
2004 Passat sedan, Malone stage 2, 2005 passat wagon 5spd DUK, 1756 Hybrid, Malone custom tune
Petesaguytdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2019, 08:46   #2600
alphaseinor

You won't touch anything on the small connector.

Almost nothing from the wiring diagram on the ALH will work.

More information in a bit.
alphaseinor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2019, 09:13   #2601
alphaseinor

Still Under Construction
5 speed automatics require more wiring than on the 4 speed. All connectors in engine compartment are different
The starter wiring is identical with a 53 relay replacing the 173 relay
reverse wiring is similar, but not exact, so read on
On the BEW engine: The cruise control cancel switch is a +12v normally closed, to the bottom switch on pedal which connects to pin 43 on the large ECU connector.
Move pin 94/59 to pin 94/43 on the Large ECU Connector.This is the kick down (F8) switch wire which we will be re-appropriating for the cruise cancel switch
Cut pin 1 on the throttle pedal connector and connect it, using a new wire to the bottom clutch cancel switch
Connect other side of Bottom clutch cancel switch to black/Green wire from ALH wiring instructions
A27 Bus will not be present. This is how the ECU knows how fast the cluster is reporting the vehicle speed, On BEW engines the A27 bus is a connection between pin 3 on the blue connector of the instrument cluster to pin 90 on the large ECU connector.
Move pin 94/28 to pin 94/90 on the large ECU connector, which is where the A27 bus is supposed to go
Move the engine harness side of pin 9 to pin 6 in the orange connector in the plenum (under the wiper motor on the drivers side) This is the signal from the instrument cluster to the ECU, we are just connecting it to the wire in the prior step.
The VSS harness is not present and must be wired in manually: This requires a 10a fused positive connection (usually fuse 7 bus B163) to pin1 , ground to pin 3, and a wire from pin 2 to the instrument cluster blue connector pin 28
Pin 1 is connected to the reverse light positive wire
Pin 3 is connected to the ground in the range switch (brown wire)
Cut pin 56 from the transmission computer, this leads to the instrument cluster for the VSS signal on Pin 2
Connect pin 2 from the VSS to pin 56 of the transmission computer using a new wire, or you can use one from the transmission range switch that goes directly to the TCU as a short cut.
Consult your bentley manual for all other details... Your Mileage May Vary... Yada Yada Yada
Kinda been doing this for 12 1/2 years... I have ways of making this work

Last edited by alphaseinor; March 19th, 2019 at 09:24. Reason: clarified some points
Old March 19th, 2019, 13:26   #2602
Petesaguytdi
Veteran Member

Thanks for the reply,

I will have to double check my steps so far. I got past the cruise wiring already as you wrote out above. The reverse wiring from the relay area is showing continuity to a pin 35 on the ECU.

Since that seems incorrect I will have to check it again and see if I can figure that out.
99.5 A4 Jetta, ~359,000km Ventectomy, neoprene swaybar bushings,Koni FSD's, Shine rear bar, a4 deluxe tb kit. dieselgeek skid plate,sigma 5 shifter, vag-com, Euro110hp version vnt15, pp520's, Aligator Kerma level 1, Tdi heater, vr6 clutch/g60 flywheel, CAT fuel filter
2004 Passat sedan, Malone stage 2, 2005 passat wagon 5spd DUK, 1756 Hybrid, Malone custom tune
Old March 19th, 2019, 13:38   #2603
alphaseinor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petesaguytdi View Post
The reverse wiring from the relay area is showing continuity to a pin 35 on the ECU.
Yeah. There shouldn't be anything to pin 35 on the ECU from the reverse switch wiring.

It's pretty simple wiring
+12v to the reverse switch (and the VSS) which is a black/green wire from the transmission range switch
The reverse switch
The other side of the reverse switch goes to the Yellow/blue trace wire with continuity to the back of the 175 relay.
Once you have that, you have switched 12v to the interior of the car. cut the yellow/blue wire flush with the relay panel.
Now you need to direct it to the back of the car, which is the black/blue wire... however this one you don't cut flush, because you need that to start the car. leave a small lead for that off the relay block.
Now butt connect the yellow and blue wire to the black and blue wire that lead back into the harness (not the one on the relay block).

Not too hard.
Old March 24th, 2019, 17:02   #2604
Petesaguytdi
Veteran Member

Default Thank you Sir,

Got the main wiring done and tested. All good

Pieced it together with your post and the other contributions of those on this site, as some things were not a match on my wiring. Made for a slick install and no unneeded extra wires via the plenum.

Coding her up and will see what errors we get if any.

thanks for the time spent to give the extra input.

Peter
Old May 10th, 2019, 16:35   #2605
QWASZX

Im just finishing up ripping everything out of my donor car. Before I scrap the car I want to triple check and make sure I have everything I need.

On the clutch pedal assembly, I have the two switches (female side) but do I need the male side of the switches wired to my donor?

List of what I have so far:

Axles
Dust tins
Trans
Trans mount
Shifter assembly
Shift linkage
Clutch hydraulic line
Clutch pedal assembly/master cyl
53 relay

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
QWASZX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2019, 08:10   #2606
boertje
Veteran Member

You will need the wired pig tails of those two clutch switches to finish the wiring. You really don’t need the master cylinder as the master cylinder on the auto has the nipple for the hose that goes to the clutch slave cylinder. One only has to cut off the plugged tip to make it functional.
You will need the 5 speed starter, shift boot and shift knob.
boertje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2019, 08:20   #2607
SLF-951

I finished my 04 BEW conversion yesterday, but have been driving the car for a month or so.... With no reverse lights, cruise, speedo and the auto trans selector zip tied in place to start the car.

Everything is working except my cruise cancel due to my computer isn't coded manual yet. And when taking pin 3 from the cluster to pin 90 at the computer my airbag light is now on. Was I supposed to cut that wire, or tap into it ? I cut it and ran a separate to ecu 90. I've read so many different versions of this part, just found this way to be the least confusing(from Spartan's 05 BEW Wagon instructions).

Any help or thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
SLF-951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2019, 08:48   #2608
alphaseinor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLF-951 View Post
And when taking pin 3 from the cluster to pin 90 at the computer my airbag light is now on. Was I supposed to cut that wire, or tap into it ? I cut it and ran a separate to ecu 90. I've read so many different versions of this part, just found this way to be the least confusing(from Spartan's 05 BEW Wagon instructions).
Any help or thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
The only thing you need to splice would be the positive for VSS and reverse lights... nothing else splits a signal.

check this post for the way I do the 5 speed automatic wiring... shouldn't be that confusing.
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showpost.p...postcount=2601
Old May 12th, 2019, 13:47   #2609
SLF-951

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphaseinor View Post

check this post for the way I do the 5 speed automatic wiring... shouldn't be that confusing.
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showpost.p...postcount=2601

I appreciate that response. I did have that procedure printed out as well from another post you were helping another member with.

I just hard wired it from the cluster, as stated in the Boertje procedure pg:33 by Spartan. It was more work, but that should be the same result, right? I just wasn't sure if that way should have been tapped into or cut away like I did. I've been driving the car for a month then all of a sudden the airbag light is on after doing this.
SLF-951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2019, 14:05   #2610
alphaseinor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLF-951 View Post
I've been driving the car for a month then all of a sudden the airbag light is on after doing this.
What's the code for the airbag... not likely associated with this, but stranger things have happened.

Yeah, there's a dozen ways of connecting wire a to slot b