VR6 axle swap 'How To'

Bdpprocessors

Veteran Member
TDI
1999 jetta tdi 5 speed
FYI autozone has these shafts for 47 each with a core or 98 each outright. its a bit more expensive buying them outright than buying them new but atleast your getting bran new" u " joints in them and they come with a warranty.

vwsurf

TDI
2000 Golf TDI 2-Dr
FYI autozone has these shafts for 47 each with a core or 98 each outright. its a bit more expensive buying them outright than buying them new but atleast your getting bran new" u " joints in them and they come with a warranty.
I bought the Autozone/Discount Auto, only lasted about 20k miles each time. I even bought one from mjm that was around $119. it got about 25k.
Now I'm look for OEM or Raxel. Raxel needs a OEM core.

Kree

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 Golf
Still got the clunk!

Well.... I thought for sure my CV joints were gone considering when I bought my little Brittney 50k miles ago I knew the boots were gone. So I opted for the VR6 axles. Got to say this is a very easy R&R! I also must say..... That lil" drivers side axle is a heavy MF!!! LOL! Anyways, when I was under her I saw that a bushing on the drivers side LCA is almost gone! like magic i figured out the clunk! Thanks for the how-to, very nice! I did get the 12 point bits at Autozone as well as the large 17mm hex bit used for the drain and fill plugs. the 30mm socket was found at ace hardware, just happens to be across the street from autozone in my lil' town. took me about 5 hrs but that was with breaks with the kids, its an honest 3 hr job. take care yall!

FL/COtdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta wagon
Thanks for the write up! Hardest part was I had to pb blast and pound the axle splines out of the rotors.

TDIJetta99

Top Post Dawg
TDI
03... Faster than yours =]
An air hammer works wonders for getting the axles to go through.. A puller would be my tool of choice when air isn't available though..

If only the VR6 axles were actually an upgrade LOL.. I went through 3 or 4 axles before I put my old 200k+ axles back in.. Kept breaking inner joints..

FL/COtdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta wagon
An air hammer works wonders for getting the axles to go through.. A puller would be my tool of choice when air isn't available though..

If only the VR6 axles were actually an upgrade LOL.. I went through 3 or 4 axles before I put my old 200k+ axles back in.. Kept breaking inner joints..
Air hammers are fun!

What part of the inner CV joint is breaking?

Last edited:

Shouse

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI GL - 185k
I'm trying to source some VR6 axles currently. I have the flanges already. I found these on Vortex. 68k miles supposedly off a car bought at an auction not running (no reason mentioned why). No accidents supposedly. These look good to everyone? Slightly concerned about the rust, not sure what's normal (not from the rust belt).
Thanks

Wingnut

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta Wagon
I wouldn't be concerned about the rust either. But the axles do not look the same. What year did those axles come from? Are they from an Auto or manual? The inner joints look nothing alike and the shaft length also seems different (but that could be because of the different inner joint?). I'm not saying they won't work. As long as the flanges bolt up and the overall length is the same, they should be fine. Are the part numbers visible?

Last edited:

diesel4ever

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf 2000, black
I'm trying to source some VR6 axles currently. I have the flanges already. I found these on Vortex. 68k miles supposedly off a car bought at an auction not running (no reason mentioned why). No accidents supposedly. These look good to everyone? Slightly concerned about the rust, not sure what's normal (not from the rust belt).
Thanks

Those look like from automatic transmission.

Kristofk

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Golf TDI

So, how are the oem axles working out? What are your hp/torque figures?

VR6 axles are not an upgrade?

I need to replace my axles and would like to know for sure.
What are the limitations on the 10mm pump? HP/TQ? Will I need upgraded axles? I like to got WOT, a lot...

-zamppa-

TDI
Audi Allroad 4BH V6 TDI/6M, Compound charged Golf 3 AHU, Passat 3B5 TDi 4motion, Typ1 & 636B
No. Save your moneys for something more usefull.

Wingnut

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta Wagon
The VR6 inner CV's aren't any stronger than the TDI joints.
But how about the shafts?

This is from an unmodified TDI:

And the flange bolts are considerably smaller too. I have seen some snap at the flange.

I'm not sure why VW decided to put different axles in the 2.0L and TDI cars vs the 1.8T & VR6 cars. They must have had a reason for it as it saves a lot of $$$ when cars share the same parts. There must have been a need for it. The logical answer is that the higher powered cars got more robust parts. Perhaps the same reasoning behind the 2.0 & TDI cars getting smaller brakes and the 1.8T and VR6 getting much larger brakes??? Probably a cost thing. Make the parts just strong enough for the engine they are mated to.

Last edited:

-zamppa-

TDI
Audi Allroad 4BH V6 TDI/6M, Compound charged Golf 3 AHU, Passat 3B5 TDi 4motion, Typ1 & 636B
If you are worry about bolts, change them to 12.9 and you will be fine for sure. At least I have been with over 500Nm.

The picture is quite blury, but it seems like there is rust in the area where the driveshaft has given up. These kind of problem has also been in many old MB's. Driveshaft snaps just under the boot clamp near the inner joint.

Last edited:

Nash_TDI

Veteran Member -TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
2000 Silver Jetta TDI
The snapped axle looks rusty so prob aftermarket.

I did have plans to do VR6 axles in mine before I went all out and 6spd.

red16vdub

Veteran Member
TDI
03 JSW 5spd
Question is when swapping axles from 100mm to 108mm without draining the transmission how fluid should i expect to lose when removing the inner flanges.

FL/COtdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta wagon
That's an interesting question. I think most of us drain the fluid before removing the axles.