Can the radio stay on until door opens?

TDIDK

TDI
2003 Jetta wagon
I have a 2003 Jetta wagon with the stock double DIN radio (non-Monsoon). The current radio behavior is that is shuts off immediately after removing the key. I would like it if the radio stayed on until I opened the driver's door. Is this programmable via VCDS? I haven't found anything obvious or maybe I've been looking in the wrong places. Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance!

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 A6 TDI, 2001 Jetta TDI, 2014 Passat TDI
That's exactly how my car is currently. Mind you, I Don have a CAN converter box thing with an aftermarket JVC deck. I can check my coding tomorrow morning if you like. I think it's something programmed into the gateway or cluster, can't remember.

TDIDK

TDI
2003 Jetta wagon
That's exactly how my car is currently. Mind you, I Don have a CAN converter box thing with an aftermarket JVC deck. I can check my coding tomorrow morning if you like. I think it's something programmed into the gateway or cluster, can't remember.
If you could check the coding, that would be awesome and much appreciated. Browsing through the Ross-Tech wiki didn't yield results. (1J body style page)

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Well I'm stumped. Instruments, gateway, shoot. Even comfort control, no dice. Seems like some late 2002+ cars are either setup with it, or aren't. With mine if I take the key out, I can still control the windows, sunroof, and radio, until I open a door. Maybe it's a feature you have to change with VDS Pro?

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
It it wasn't, it'll either be stuck in the detected open, or detected closed positions. My passenger door acts up from time to time and the radio still stays on. But it'll also rearm the alarm if I open just that door.

eddieleephd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 jetta Wagon
Mine the windows stay active until I open the door and the radio goes off as soon as I pull the key.
That's the way it's always been, and I never thought to change it.
There might be a setting in the radio, or the accessories somehow.
As said before, you can always turn it back on , would hate to leave it on though. Lights go of in time, so maybe it will to?

Sent from my Armor_2 using Tapatalk

mrfiat

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI (Reflex Silver) , 2003 Jetta TDI Wagon (Black)
I have an aftermarket radio in my 2003 wagon. My radio stays on until I open the door. It was like that when I bought it.

flashmayo

Veteran Member
TDI
'03 Jetta - Gator Tuned
Funny, my radio will stay on until either the passenger door is opened or I activate the lock button on the FOB. I can take the key out and open the drivers door and the radio stays on.

irvingj

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Jetta Wagon TDI (PD/BEW)
My 2005 wagon will shut the radio off as soon as the key's removed (also had it re-programmed to unlock ALL doors --but no joy with back gate-- when key's removed), but windows will still operate until door is opened. Normal.

However.... you can just push the volume control button on the radio and it will turn on... and run for about 1/2-3/4 hr before it will turn itself back off again. Never knew it could do that, but that's the way our 2015 Sprinter is, so I thought I'd try it -- and it worked, happy day!!

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I almost wonder if the reason that aftermarket radios stay on is due to not receiving the CAN signal to power down to standby, but still has ignition power.

eddieleephd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 jetta Wagon
Aftermarket radios are usually powered on by the accessory that runs the lights, therefore, they act the same

Sent from my Armor_2 using Tapatalk

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I dunno, my light will dim out after pulling my key, then continues to stay on for 20ish minutes. I just bought the quick adapter that clips into the OEM harness, then spliced it to the radio connector.

TDIDK

TDI
2003 Jetta wagon
Thanks for the good info, y'all. It just seems like something that VCDS and similar scan tools should be able to... *ahem* address. Plus, I'm a curious person.

I have an aftermarket radio in my 2003 wagon. My radio stays on until I open the door. It was like that when I bought it.
Nice! If you have VCDS, do you mind sharing the coding for your radio? That's address word 56. This is really a shot in the dark... Like someone else said, it could be radio, comfort module, cluster, etc.

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Coding won't be there, since you can't connect to it, no K line connected...

TDIDK

TDI
2003 Jetta wagon
Coding won't be there, since you can't connect to it, no K line connected...
Good point. Mrfiat said his radio does stay on after key is removed and before the door is open but his is an aftermarket radio, mine is stock.
Those of you with radios that behave like I'm describing- Does anyone know where to look in VCDS? If not, I'd love it if someone posted their coding to compare my coding, model year, etc. and see what the difference is.

Sorry it's taken so long to respond.