Abs pump gone bad after brake line replacement?

ytk

TDI
MK3
Hi all.
I had my front brake lines replaced in a shop, dont know how they bled the system or if they used any software to run the pump while bleeding.
A few days later the abs light comes one, is it coincidental?
Scanning for codes I got:

01276 - ABS Hydraulic Pump (V64)
16-00 - Signal Outside Specifications

Without disconnecting the brake lines I connected a different pump I have from a donor car to the electronic connector and light came off but did not try to cycle it yet with the software or scan it.
So I assume it is some internal failure of the pump? Is the mechanic to blame?

Thanks

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Blame? No. Chances are your neglected brake hydraulics that were full of rust and gunk had something come loose once fresh fluid got pushed through it and now the pump died.

Or, it could just be that was the pump's time to die. Not too many A3 TDIs had ABS, and the pump failure was quite common on the ones that did. Yours is over two decades old. It did pretty good regardless.

ToddA1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'96 B4V, '97 B4 (sold), '97 Jetta (scrapped)
I agree. Trying to point blame for a failure, weeks later, on a car that’s decades old will be tough. If you have a decent relationship with this shop, it may soon be over, if this is pursued.

DIY. Leaves nobody to blame, but yourself.

Cant these pumps be rebuilt? Never messed with one, but I can’t see it being disposable.

-Todd

ytk

TDI
MK3
Appreciate your input . Brake fluid is a few month old, I replace it every couple of years the proper way using the software to cycle the pump so I dont think it was neglected , I do most maintenance myself but this time was loaded with work and sent wife to the mechanic as i noticed a crack in one of the lines and wanted it taken care of ASAP. Failure occurred less than a week later.
You are correct about the DIY , yet to find a mechanic(in my area) to treat this car as his own and usually I have to double check them.
I am not going to confront him its just frustrating that an expensive part goes bad after it was in his hands.

What do you think died in the pump? The electric board? The motor? I also wonder if it could be fixed.
When replacing the pump will bleeding as usual be enough or it somehow has to be purged ?

Thanks !

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
There are places that can rebuild them (you cannot buy these new anyway, and even when you could, they were over $1000, but like the rest of the car, Volkswagen has obsoleted it).

You'd just have to call around and see. They were troublesome when they were new. My sister's '96 Jetta GLX had one fail under warranty, then another a few years later. The fact that yours has lasted this long is pretty amazing.

I do not know if you can retrofit one of the newer ones from the Cabrio in there or not... I'm thinking not. It would be nice if you could, though, as they were a better unit.

Digital Corpus

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'97 B4 w/ 236K mi body, 46K mi soul
I pulled one from a B4 a while back. It’s been sitting in a box in the garage for ~2 yrs here in SoCal. *if* there is rust, it’s surface only. Do some. Ore testing on your existing one but I pulled it in case someone would want/need it like this. PM me if you want it.