Boost Leak After EGR Bypass BEW

Inverhyt

TDI
2005 Golf Mk4 GLS TDI
Hello!

So I (as the title says) bypassed my EGR with a block off plate on the turbo where the lower EGR tube would connect to on my BEW. I did this at the same time I changed my leaky oil pan for a hybrid pan because why not, I'm already under there.

However, after it was all done I ended up with a massive boost leak. I roll down the window and it's like a banshee screaming under my hood. I'm talking MacDonalds dropped hot coffee in her lap screaming. It's loud, and the car no longer will boost past 10psi. Still not in limp mode and the only light is for the EGR valve no longer being connected.

I checked every line that I thought could be under pressure and there were no visible signs of oil or anything loose at all. I pulled a few apart and didn't have any luck either.

Now, I had a boost leak before. It wouldn't go past 15 psi but that was (I assume) from the egr cooler. A fairly large soot mark gave it away.

I'm confused now though. Where would it or could it be? Any suggestions of what to start tearing apart first?

Thank you

k_pt

Veteran Member
TDI
VW MKIV TDI
Turbo side was blocked, did you blocked the EGR side?

Inverhyt

TDI
2005 Golf Mk4 GLS TDI
I wasn't aware that the egr side needed to be blocked if you still had the egr installed, just unplugged

JETaah

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
96 B4V, 2005 BEW Beetle, 2005 Jetta Wagon
That screaming is no doubt one of the stainless steel laminated gaskets chirping. If it has been leaking for a while it is liable to have shattered.
Probably the one closest to the turbo where high heat is a factor.
What are using as a block-off plate?

JETaah

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
96 B4V, 2005 BEW Beetle, 2005 Jetta Wagon
I would remove the plate and check it with a straight edge for warping.
I have pulled a few of those off of cars that have your problem.

Inverhyt

TDI
2005 Golf Mk4 GLS TDI
I would remove the plate and check it with a straight edge for warping.
I have pulled a few of those off of cars that have your problem.
I've already pulled it off once to see if there was an exaust leak and no, there isn't. Gasket is straight and no soot anywhere it shouldn't be.