www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI Conversions

TDI Conversions Discussions on converting non TDIs into TDIS. More general items can be answered better in other sections. This is ideal for issues that don't have an overlap and are very special to swaping engines.

Old April 29th, 2019, 17:17   #16
AKA John Smith

TDI(s): Toyota TDI

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbote View Post
you are correct leaving the exciter wire off most likely did not cause the failure..... and your jeep already has an alt light that will suffice....I used the stock toyota lamp and all is well....

My Toyota has a 3 wire harness and my TDI (alh) alternator has 2 wires. How’d you wire yours up?

Thanks!
AKA John Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2019, 13:18   #17
Eric b fishing

TDI(s): 02jetta
Default 5 speed swap wiring

Hello
I’ve finished my swap an wiring. I have two problems . #1 my reverse lights stay on , is the switch on the transmission normally open ? # 2 my alternator just took a crap. When I key on I get power to both side of the two prong plug on the alternator , should I only have power to the “curved side of the plug prong “ or both sides ? If I have key on an remove the large plug to the computer then I just have power to the curves side of the plug to the alternator. Any help would be appreciated.
Eric b fishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2019, 07:04   #18
[486]
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 02 golf ALH
Fuel Economy: 42 stock, 47-49 now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric b fishing View Post
Hello
I’ve finished my swap an wiring. I have two problems . #1 my reverse lights stay on , is the switch on the transmission normally open ? # 2 my alternator just took a crap. When I key on I get power to both side of the two prong plug on the alternator , should I only have power to the “curved side of the plug prong “ or both sides ? If I have key on an remove the large plug to the computer then I just have power to the curves side of the plug to the alternator. Any help would be appreciated.
on an 02 motor the two small wires to the alt are field and lamp

the light on the dash (also used to excite the alt) and a wire from the field coil to tell the ecu what percent load the alternator is loaded down (to switch on or off the coolant glow plugs, nothing more)

field ends up with some power when keyed on, but nowhere near full 12v as the lamp wire will not supply that much current to the regulator, talking maybe a couple tenths of a volt
lamp should be essentially grounded, key on not running, and the light in the dash illuminated
[486] is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2019, 13:46   #19
CasaEd

Can you see the color of the wires in the plug ? 1 is normally blue, that is the warning light wire, the other wire is usually brown/red, that wire go's to the ECU.
CasaEd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2019, 21:31   #20
jimbote

Fuel Economy: golf=38-43mpg...tacoma tdi=29-33mpg

iirc, there's a yellow wire from the toyota's cluster (charge lamp) that goes to the blue wire of the vw alternator, that's all i have to charge aside from the large wire... my alternator light works as required