Did both front calipers, used motive bleeder, now have squishy pedal (03 tdi manual )

03tdiwagon

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 vw jetta wagon TDI
Hey guys just need some quick advice/feedback FAST to get the car on the road. I replaced my front brakes yesterday (calipers, pads, rotors) and upon completion i began bleeding with my new motive power bleeder.

My reservoir was just about empty when i did the seal test. (I now know how important it is to not allow it to run empty because potential air goes into the abs module and creates issues only using vcds and cycling the abs pump can solve)(i didnt know before hand unfortunately so i let it run a little low on fluid)*

I hooked up the bleeder empty and pumped it to about 11 psi and checked for seal leaks, all was well. I topped up the reservoir for actual bleeding with the power bleeder and i ran about 500ml through the front 2 calipers @10psi (yes more than needed i know) i had no air after that and tightened it all up. I then thought maybe push the pedal down a couple times to cycle the master cylinder and i did this and some more air came out but not much. The pedal was firm and hard after this.

I turned on the car to back it out of the garage and the pedal went to the floor and i now have ZERO braking ability...... did i let air into the abs system and now need the vcds to cycle the abs and repeat everything?
Any suggestions please and thanks ?!

JB05

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf,2005,anthracite blue
Yes. Start with the longest line, the right rear, then the left rear, front right, and lastly the front left. Not sure about the ABS pump, but that has do be done also.

edfcmc

Veteran Member
TDI
i think its normal for the brake pedal to go to the floor on the first press after doing all that stuff. Did you just try to pump the brakes up several times? When you compress the caliper, this leaves a gap between the brake pads and the rotor. If it didn't, it would be very hard to get the new pads/caliper back onto the rotor. So, when you first get behind the wheel, you need to pump the brakes several times to get the caliper piston to the point it is pushing the pad against the rotor. After several pumps, it should bring firmness back to the pedal.

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
It should. Use the order appropriate for your car, finish with the clutch slave cylinder, if applicable. Even with the Motive I occasionally have had to repeat the process.