B4 sedan trunk lid liner help needed

lisab4

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 Passat B4 1.9 TDI
I bought a B4 trunk liner for the trunk lid as standard for US B4s (I'm in Europe, we didn't have those), but now I need to know how to install it. Can anyone post a picture of the hardware on the trunk lid so I can see how it attached? Seems like 4 screws at the bottom and 4 rectangular plastic pieces at the sides?

Last edited:

ToddA1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'96 B4V, '97 B4 (sold), '97 Jetta (scrapped)
I took a look at mine, but all I saw were 6 screws along the bottom. I'm sure the clips you mention slip inside the trunk lid, but I wasn't pulling the panel to find out.

-Todd

Technician!

Veteran Member
TDI
None, currently
Your picture is a bit out of focus, but it looks like you have the necessary clips on this panel, which are along the top edge in the above photo. Those clips slide into the trunk lid "frame" holes, the panel wraps around the hinge arms, and the screws hold it in place.

c3k

Veteran Member
TDI
B4 Passat
That's interesting, my '96 uses the same black clips that go into the back of the trunk deck but it has white clips that snap into plastic openings in the front of the deck lid near the latch.

**Just a follow up**

I found a '96 GLX in a junkyard nearby that utilized the screw method as described above. It would appear that VW used two methods during the same year to mount their trunk liners?

Last edited:

lisab4

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 Passat B4 1.9 TDI

This is my panel. The red arrows show the 4 screw holes. The green arrows are plastic taps. These should slide in plastic receivers I think? I'm looking for info on those. I'm not talking about the top row of tabs. I know those just slide in.
As for the screw: do they screw directly into the metal lid, or is there also a plastic receiver for them?

tripl-e

Veteran Member
TDI
b4 sporting a new ET 6th gear!
http://vagpart.com/vw/passat-pa-us-1997-86780-luggage-compartment-trim/

I think you're looking for #10 Grommet, it receives the plastic tabs attached to the trim piece.

The drawing shows an 'expanding rivet' to attach the rear edge of the lining to the lid but mine has 4 sheet metal screws. They screw directly into the lid on my US spec '97.

There is a small opening in the left front corner for the wiring harness to pass through.

lisab4

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 Passat B4 1.9 TDI
Anyone breaking a sedan? Looking for these plastic receivers, part no 3A5867981. The mounting hardware is NLA from VW

glenn1179

Veteran Member
TDI
na
Are the clips the same in a 98 Jetta? I think I have a trunk lid for a Jetta that I could take the clips out of.

ToddA1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'96 B4V, '97 B4 (sold), '97 Jetta (scrapped)
ECS and Autopartmaster still show that as a valid part. Obviously, it’d be wise to verify.

-Todd

lisab4

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 Passat B4 1.9 TDI
Glenn, thanks for the offer, but 3a5 is a Passat sedan specific part number :(
Todd, had my dealer check it. No longer available from VW or even VW classic parts. I do live in Europe, so maybe some US firm has them still.
Would love to find someone breaking a sedan as I'm also looking for the parts to add trunk release.

On a positive note, after a 5 year restoration,1st drive is imminent! Last snag is a leaky fuel pump.

Last edited:

lisab4

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 Passat B4 1.9 TDI
Thanks Steve! Please let me know when you find one. I'm also looking for the trunk release actuator and wiring loom for the trunk.