Toureg Impression

SIAI

TDI
Jetta,2015,Silk Blue
I drove a new V-10 TDI Toureg the other day and really had some mixed feelings about it. Esserman Volkswagen in Miami, Florida had two new TDI's on the lot. A white with grey interior with navigation, and a black on black without nav but equipped with the 19" wheels and tires. I had gone to the dealer with the intention of purchasing the nav equipped Toureg. When I got there and looked at the vehicles in person, I was a little dissapointed. First (and this is personal preference only) I really didn't like the all white Toureg. Just too much white without any contrasting colors. It just didn't give the appearance of a 65K plus vehicle. At least it would have given it a little more classy look if it was a pearl white. The interior looked great and felt great until you got out of the front seats and into the back. The front seats felt great and gave good back and lateral support. However, the back sets were like sitting on a flat board and really looked cheap. The seats looked like they belonged in a Yugo. I know the flatness is required to allow the seat to fold down, but a little contour to the seat would really be nice. The rear cargo area looked smaller then the trunk on my Jetta! Really very little cargo area. Driving the TDI Toureg was a joy. The engine (as others have said) was very smooth and quiet. Lots of power and a nice smooth shifting transmission. The ride and handling were good, but the adjustments for the shocks didn't seem to change it much. The vehicle was free from rattles or any wind noise. But I was not impressed with the 17/23 epa economy numbers. I bought a TDI to get better fuel economy then the average car---so if I was to buy an SUV, I would expect great fuel economy with a Diesel and I don't think the TDI delivers. I also don't think the people who buy luxury SUV's really care if the engine is gas or diesel and more then likely would not want to deal with fueling and maintaining the TDI. Also, reviewing J.D. Power, the Toureg is near the bottom of the list when it comes to the number of problems reported in new vehicles. Knowing how great dealer service is, I sure don't want to buy someting that may need to go back to the dealer. Esserman was willing to deal below sticker which suprised me for a newly released vehicle that is in short supply. Just my thoughts.

Pushintin

Veteran Member
I have pretty much decided on the loaded v8. I really can't justify another $12,000.00 on top of the V8 price for the TDI engine. I started looking at them for the V10 but at these prices I think I could buy several V8's to replace it when needed. No big trailers, so extra torque isn't mandatory. I lose 3 MPG so no great loss there either. Am I missing something? Not sure...need more data...

mavapa

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 golf
I had hoped maybe VW would fix their quality control. Apparently it's a problem shared with other European carmakers. I wonder how that will go over with people paying that much for a vehicle?

leebo

Veteran Member
TDI
Black 2004 Touareg V10 TDI
[ QUOTE ]
I have pretty much decided on the loaded v8. I really can't justify another $12,000.00 on top of the V8 price for the TDI engine...

[/ QUOTE ]

I traded my V8 Touareg for the V10...for a lot of reasons. I posted my impressions the VWVortex forum if you'd like to read them.

Touareg V8 vs. V10

RogueTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
1998 Jetta TDI Black
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I have pretty much decided on the loaded v8. I really can't justify another $12,000.00 on top of the V8 price for the TDI engine...

[/ QUOTE ]

I traded my V8 Touareg for the V10...for a lot of reasons. I posted my impressions the VWVortex forum if you'd like to read them.

Touareg V8 vs. V10

[/ QUOTE ]

Fantastic - Im heading there right now! /images/graemlins/smile.gif

cevans

TDIClub Enthusiast, TDI Parts Ninja Vendor , w/Bus
TDI
2015 Beetle Conv. TDI 6-Speed & 2006 E320 CDI
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Touareg V8 vs. V10

[/ QUOTE ]

That is one of the BEST write ups I have seen in a LONG time. Thanks for making the effort and telling all sides of the story, we need more opinions like yours voiced loudly.

cevans

b1powered

Veteran Member
TDI
95' powerstroke,y2k Cummins ISB,98' jetta TDi, 03' Jetta TDi auto
Just bought a Touareg TDI last week from CVM motors in pennsylvania.
Love the vehicle and so far the mileage is pretty good, even though it's brand new. The power is awesome, the vehicle is soooooo quiet, tranny shifts like a dream and all the other gadgets and interesting ideas that the engineers put in this vehicle made it a must buy. By the way, sticker was 63,000 and it was sold for 59,000. CVM is a stand up bussiness and got their bottom dollar without the haggling BS that is annoying.
Top notch dealer !!

v10beast

TDI
04 v10 TDI
ive driven the v6 and its gutless, i love the v10, even thought it had to have both turbos repalces,a dnother service nightmares, its a great car, ours is loaded with everything, the only disaponting thig is the nav system, its not very detailed.