What did you do to your car today?

Caddy 16v

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta, 2000 Golf
Finally ordered myself a boost gauge and pod from idparts can't wait to install it. :) Was looking at the P3Cars vent gauge but the price is just over the top.

kbrenny

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta wagon TDI
last month while I was doing my turbo project I decided to paint my front rub strip and install some tinted bumper side markers.

I also found a set of Hella Comet side markers after searching for 2 years.

Amazon had them on sale from a European vendor for $38.

kiwibru

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf 2-door, 2k Silver. Red RTDI now gone but not forgotten!
I replaced my 14 year old OEM Varta battery. It finally gave up after so many useful years. I kept up the fluid level, I ran a disulphide pulse battery maintainer and thus the long life. New Varta OEM from the dealer...same maintenance scenario...good for another 14 years! Ahhhhh...

TDI Convert

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta BRM
I replaced my 14 year old OEM Varta battery. It finally gave up after so many useful years. I kept up the fluid level, I ran a disulphide pulse battery maintainer and thus the long life. New Varta OEM from the dealer...same maintenance scenario...good for another 14 years! Ahhhhh...
Holy smokes, excellent life!

What model of disulphide pulse battery maintainer do you use?

Fixmy59bug

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SE
Brought in the Passat for the 30k service.

In addition to some speaker crackling that should be under warranty, I had a couple very specific requests, so let's see how they do.

P2B

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Jetta, 2003 Jetta, 2003 Jetta Wagon
Unfortunately yes.

Both of my original '03 batteries died last year and were replaced with Enertecs from the dealer - same part number but definitely not the same battery. Both cars failed to crank fast enough to start on at least one occasion each last winter. The original batteries never had issues at similar temperatures.

Simon

nkgagne

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Sportwagen 6M, 2006 Golf GLS TDI (sold)
In their defence, last winter was unusually harsh, here anyway. I recall cheering when we saw -19 C after a solid week below -20 C. Then I thought, "Wait; since when has -19 been worth celebrating?!?!"

That Guy

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 MKiv Golf TDI
Same here, plus a lot more snow than usual. Supposed to be a mild winter this year...or so they say.

I also use a Battery Minder. Got 7 or 8 years out of the original battery...but then I started using the Battery Minder in the last year or two on that one.
I also park in-doors so it's not as hard on the battery.

P2B

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Jetta, 2003 Jetta, 2003 Jetta Wagon
In their defence, last winter was unusually harsh, here anyway. I recall cheering when we saw -19 C after a solid week below -20 C. Then I thought, "Wait; since when has -19 been worth celebrating?!?!"
Both my original batteries started the cars easily at -25C or colder multiple times over the years.

Both the new batteries failed the first time they saw -22C in their first winter. It's not the car - I swapped a 2 year old wallymart battery into one and had no issues for the rest of the winter.

Simon

SSFFlood

TDI
MK4 TDI
removed trunk for "Paint Correction" turned out just as i had hoped. about to remove the rear bumper tonight and give it the same 5 hour treatment.

ScottySK

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Jetta GLS
Same here, plus a lot more snow than usual. Supposed to be a mild winter this year...or so they say.

I also use a Battery Minder. Got 7 or 8 years out of the original battery...but then I started using the Battery Minder in the last year or two on that one.
I also park in-doors so it's not as hard on the battery.
"They" said that last fall too. Not quite accurate.

In the two weeks:

Put on winter tires

Fixed turbo drain leak

Replaced control arms/ball joints/sway bar bushings & links that I had in the garage waiting for me since March (nothing like cold weather to motivate?)

Put up my heavy gauge plug-in cord/electrical box for the driveway, since the wife gets the garage :eek:

Sucked the coolant heater cord into the fan, so fixed that; finding replacement cords around here is impossible. Put on my "winter" front grille with a marine plug where the VW emblem was.

Blocked off the radiator with my "custom" piece of thick cardboard coated in Gorilla Tape for waterproofing, winter bumper cover, blocked the lower front grille, put in the blocked passenger "winter" lower grille.

I'm ready for winter, I think :D

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 Jetta GLS Wagon "Cranberry"
Hey, guys, quit hogging all the snow up in Canada! The Cascades and Sierra Nevadas here need an extremely heavy snowfall year or three.

eddie_1

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta Wagon 2003 TDI tuned to 170HP, A6 Wagon 2008 TDI 2.7L tuned to 340HP
Is that a european bumper? It does not have the side marker lights? Is it not required for inspection?

last month while I was doing my turbo project I decided to paint my front rub strip and install some tinted bumper side markers.

I also found a set of Hella Comet side markers after searching for 2 years.

Amazon had them on sale from a European vendor for $38.

kbrenny

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta wagon TDI
That is just a standard NA bumper that I painted the rub strip black. There are lights there, they are just the "smoked" version and not noticeable until the lights are turned on.

crashtested

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 Q5 TDI Technik, 2014 GSW CL 6MT (RIP), 2004 Jetta GLS 5MT (sold), 2010 GSW HL 6MT (buy back)
Winter shoes went on the Jetta today & wheel alignment. Sadly the arse end is out and needs some shims to bring it back in, to the tune of $500 next week. Why 'O why isn't the rear in these cars adjustable?

dremd

Veteran Member
TDI
06 sprinter. 03 jetta wagon premium with 6 speed ALH swap, 14 JSW
Winter shoes went on the Jetta today & wheel alignment. Sadly the arse end is out and needs some shims to bring it back in, to the tune of $500 next week. Why 'O why isn't the rear in these cars adjustable?
It is on the 2010 that you have :)

Shimming the rear beam isn't teriable on the MKiv though, under 1 hour per side.
Defiantly should cost less than $500, or does that include winter tires?

dremd

Veteran Member
TDI
06 sprinter. 03 jetta wagon premium with 6 speed ALH swap, 14 JSW
I removed the OEM monsoon stereo and started replacing it with a pioneer NEX 4000.
I've got the steering wheel controls working, HD radio working, Bluetooth, butt that's about it so far.
Still left
Reverse camera
Long press steering wheel button for Siri
Update firmware for carplay
Mount the radio in the car
Mount USB/ aux in
Remove dead satellite radio.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Drove a 2015 Jetta TDI SE sedan. Very, very nice. I was unimpressed by the DSG in the '15 Golf we had on loan, but this one drove as I'd want it. Car rides and steers well, seems very tight, and I like the seats. Nice power delivery, less turbo lag than my '12. I'd consider one.

1.9glstdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 passat waggon BHW PD
R&r'ed driver side wheel bearing. Got a stage 1.5 malone tune and looked at a few ideas at scott krouts g2g.

crashtested

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 Q5 TDI Technik, 2014 GSW CL 6MT (RIP), 2004 Jetta GLS 5MT (sold), 2010 GSW HL 6MT (buy back)
It is on the 2010 that you have :)
Shimming the rear beam isn't teriable on the MKiv though, under 1 hour per side.
Defiantly should cost less than $500, or does that include winter tires?
Nope, the Golf is running smoothly knock on wood.

I wish it included winters! Parts are $175ish and they figured 2hrs labor.