Operating temp in 2.0 CR TDI

buyingconstant7

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI 5spd
Since Mk6 Jetta TDI's don't have a temp gauge, I set my scanguage II to read it. Since it's about -10c(+14f) where I live right now, I've noticed this car takes FOREVER to warm up. I've owned a diesel before, it was an ALH and the temp guage reached the middle after about 7 minutes of highway driving in this cold weather doing speeds of 65mph. My scan guage said 70c water temp when the guage said it was 90c. But on my 2.0 TDI, I don't have a gauge to go by, but it takes a solid 15 minutes of 65mph driving to get the temp into the 90 degree celcius range(190f).

With this said, is there anything I can do to decrease the time taken to warm up? And what temp would be considered normal temp for this engine so I can rev it a bit higher? Would it be like my ALH and over 70 degrees celcius?

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
Yeah, my car takes forever to warm up too. There are a couple things you could do. First, an electric block heater like the frostheater unit would help speed up the warm up period. And second, winter covers that block the lower and upper grilles will also help alot. So would a heated garage, but obviously that's not an option for many owners.

MonsterTDI09

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta DSG/ up keep on 2009 Jetta DSG 2006 Jetta Pag 2 in North SEA Green
I would start off with the covering the bottom first with foam insulation. Then add more on colder days. Just don't let the temp get over 200*

JB05

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf,2005,anthracite blue
Is the heater fan ON during this first 15 minutes? My MKIV would probably take just as long @ that ambient temperature and that would be with no heater blowing. If the heater is ON, then I will not reach 190F in 15 minutes or longer.

tleader

Veteran Member
TDI
None
I live in Texas and mine has never been above 177F on the readout even in the middle of summer on my JSW. Now as it's getting colder, it regularly dips down to 166F and the gauge itself starts to drop a bit too. Never understood why its always ran so low on the temps.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
That's odd. My Golf gets up to 190 F and stays there unless idling for an extended time in cold weather. I've never seen it go over 190, but this will be my first winter w grille covers.

Cogen Man

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI DSG.
Since Mk6 Jetta TDI's don't have a temp gauge, I set my scanguage II to read it. Since it's about -10c(+14f) where I live right now, I've noticed this car takes FOREVER to warm up. I've owned a diesel before, it was an ALH and the temp guage reached the middle after about 7 minutes of highway driving in this cold weather doing speeds of 65mph. My scan guage said 70c water temp when the guage said it was 90c. But on my 2.0 TDI, I don't have a gauge to go by, but it takes a solid 15 minutes of 65mph driving to get the temp into the 90 degree celcius range(190f).

With this said, is there anything I can do to decrease the time taken to warm up? And what temp would be considered normal temp for this engine so I can rev it a bit higher? Would it be like my ALH and over 70 degrees celcius?
If you have a 2013 I'm betting you have the cold weather package that includes the coolant heater. Plugged in and a few hours on a timer will help. A grill block is also very helpful. You can make your own or check out IDParts.

meerschm

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Jetta wagon DSG 08/08 205k buyback 1/8/18; replaced with 2017 Golf Wagon 4mo 1.8l CXBB
I live in Texas and mine has never been above 177F on the readout even in the middle of summer on my JSW. Now as it's getting colder, it regularly dips down to 166F and the gauge itself starts to drop a bit too. Never understood why its always ran so low on the temps.

I would verify the sensor, and question the thermostat.

I purchased a used car once which the previous owner had removed the thermostat. after I put one in, the MPG improved and the heater became awesome.

tleader

Veteran Member
TDI
None
I would verify the sensor, and question the thermostat.

I purchased a used car once which the previous owner had removed the thermostat. after I put one in, the MPG improved and the heater became awesome.

Very possible it could be the thermostat. It's never given a day of problems and gets between 43-46 mpg. I bought it used from a VW dealer, but I just might wait til the belt is due and check it then when everything gets replaced.

GreenLantern_TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GOLF SEL
Nothings wrong. The retard temp gauge in the dash says 190* if the temp is above 160. It takes my car 7ish minutes for retard gauge in dash to show 190* but it take 15-20 minutes to show 190* on my polar fis +. Its all in the gauge. When its cold TDIs are cold. Once i block my grill itll warm up faster.

tleader

Veteran Member
TDI
None
Nothings wrong. The retard temp gauge in the dash says 190* if the temp is above 160. It takes my car 7ish minutes for retard gauge in dash to show 190* but it take 15-20 minutes to show 190* on my polar fis +. Its all in the gauge. When its cold TDIs are cold. Once i block my grill itll warm up faster.

Not sure if this was directed at my reply, but my Polar FIS has never gone above 177f, so it's not the retard gauge.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I think you need to start using acceptable adult language. The only time using the term "retard" is acceptable is when referring to ignition/injection timing.

Last edited: