VW TDI goodwill package: Offers $500 Visa cards & $500 dealer credits to TDI owners

TDIpilot4u

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta TDI
Thank you for the analysis. I am going to think hard if the goodwill $1000 comes with strings before I sign for it.
The program rules link is still broken last I checked. And just before you submit your information you have to check that you understand the terms and conditions/program rules which also is a broken link. I figured these may get updated tomorrow with the announcement, but figured its best to at least see what it says before checking the box that I agree to it.

dropnosky

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta 6 speed, 2012 Passat DSG
And regarding getting berated by other drivers, I don't think most drivers have any clue what a diesel car is, much less that I'm driving one. I've never had a gasser driver express anything but surprise or confusion when I've said I'm driving a diesel. It seems a stretch to get the finger on the road for driving one. And I still encounter people regularly who have no idea that there's any EPA issue with VW TDIs.
[/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT]
No kidding, mechanics, part store people, most dont know what the hell im talking about if i ask them if they are following the scandal.

Personally its tough for me to even tell the difference between TDI and TSI on the trunk unless im pretty close. These stories of other drivers flipping out on the road sound like BS to me, or a misunderstanding of the reason why gestures are being directed.

ndmike88

Veteran Member
TDI
'09 Jetta TDI
Engadget.com is reporting VW will announce tomorrow that affected US diesel owners are getting $500 use anywhere Visa prepaid cards and another $500-$750 VW-only cash credit.

This should smooth everything over, assuming it turns out to be true.
Hope there are no strings attached.

fatbobfenner

TDI
2015 Golf SportWagen SE TDI
VW issues debit cards to TDI owners

Saw this article in WSJ....

http://www.wsj.com/articles/volkswagen-seeks-to-rebuild-trust-with-u-s-initiative-1446995472

"A U.S. car dealer who was briefed by a VW field representative about the initiative last week said the car maker plans as early as Monday to announce that it will issue two debit cards to each owner of diesel-powered cars affected by the emissions crisis. One card will be a simple cash gift that customers will be able to use at their discretion. The second debit card will be only for purchases at a VW dealership."

How many strings are attached??

Dieselchen

Banned
TDI
2011 Golf 6M
Engadget.com is reporting VW will announce tomorrow that affected US diesel owners are getting $500 use anywhere Visa prepaid cards and another $500-$750 VW-only cash credit.

This should smooth everything over, assuming it turns out to be true.
Please report back when you get your Gift card.... tell us how it went what if anything you may have signed.

The can just mail em out, I see no point showing up and making a drive to a dealership. There is a CATCH.... the question is WHAT?

All other rebates gift cards I always just received in the mail, sometimes had to activate them online.

volks27

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 golf highline
If there are strings attached, I vote for a mass reversal of their phoney money; send it back with a refusal letter. We lost more than the fictitious $1k "vw money" that they are trying to through at us.

Rudyjo

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf Sportwagen Tdi
If there are strings attached, I vote for a mass reversal of their phoney money; send it back with a refusal letter. We lost more than the fictitious $1k "vw money" that they are trying to through at us.
I find it strange that VW wants us to accept these cards and most likely will have to sign something before they will be handed over before they have officially said what they intend to do about "Fixing" our cars.
I will hold off accepting the cards until they say what they intend to do.

I can imagine some people being unhappy with the way their cars end up after the fix and VW saying "We gave you $1,000 for your trouble".

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
Extremely unlikely there will be any strings attached to the goodwill money. I'm sure vw will not lose any sleep over those foolish enough not to accept the goodwill.

dropnosky

Veteran Member
TDI
I won't accept it and I will be grossly disappointed if it doesn't come with a comprehensive proposal on what else they are going to do about this entire mess. Some will likely blow their newfound "windfall" on something frivolous but the rest of us face the likelihood of losing big time on valuation at trade in, especially at other brands.
There must be 800 threads started now with this familair refrain. "VW owes me money for any difference in value i perceive when i go to sell or trade in my used car down the line"

Im not sure that i understand how the poster who is irate about a couple grand drop in value during a scandal, is yet somehow comfortable with owning a new vehicle and watching it drop 10k or more the second you drive it off the dealer lot.

tsingtao

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 Mazda 3 Hatchback 2009 Jetta TDI--Bought back 12/21/16
Im not sure that i understand how the poster who is irate about a couple grand drop in value during a scandal, is yet somehow comfortable with owning a new vehicle and watching it drop 10k or more the second you drive it off the dealer lot.
I'm not sure that I understand how the poster who is irate about a couple of grand drop in value because someone rear-ended him and won't pay, is yet somehow comfortable with owning a new vehicle and watching it drop 10k or more the second you drive it off the dealer lot.

bubbagumpshrimp

Veteran Member
TDI
'13 Jetta TDI
There must be 800 threads started now with this familair refrain. "VW owes me money for any difference in value i perceive when i go to sell or trade in my used car down the line"

TDIs...historically...have done well, resale value wise (compared to a comparable gasser). That is why I bought my car new. It didn't make sense to me to spend $17,500+ on a 3+ year old car with 75k+ miles when I could get a brand new one with a warranty and 30k worth of free maintenance for less than $4,000 more.

Edit: I don't think that VW sells anything that fits that old position of "it depreciated $10k+ the moment you drove it off the lot." That is why people would get riled up over the resale value issue. i.e. Someone like me. I bought my car because I did research and saw that the values were holding up on 5+ year old cars...so I thought it wasn't a bad idea to spend the money on newer one. Please don't mistake "I think the resale value would be decent" with "I think a car is an investment."

Last edited:

dropnosky

Veteran Member
TDI
I'm not sure that I understand how the poster who is irate about a couple of grand drop in value because someone rear-ended him and won't pay, is yet somehow comfortable with owning a new vehicle and watching it drop 10k or more the second you drive it off the dealer lot.
Is the car damaged? No. Is it needing an as yet undisclosed recall? Yes. Are there 5k new posters looking for payouts from VW? Yes.

Are a wrecked car and a car that needs a recall identical? No.

aja8888

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Out of TDI's
My health insurance man bought a 2013 Passat TDI SE last week from the local dealership. Car was clean, had 55,000 on it and he paid $17,900 + ttl. I asked him if he knew about Dieselgate and he said no. Guess the dealer failed to mention it. I pointed him here.

dropnosky

Veteran Member
TDI
TDIs...historically...have done well, resale value wise (compared to a comparable gasser). That is why I bought my car new. It didn't make sense to me to spend $17,500+ on a 3+ year old car with 75k+ miles when I could get a brand new one with a warranty and 30k worth of free maintenance for less than $4,000 more.

Edit: I don't think that VW sells anything that fits that old position of "it depreciated $10k+ the moment you drove it off the lot." That is why people would get riled up over the resale value issue. i.e. Someone like me. I bought my car because I did research and saw that the values were holding up on 5+ year old cars...so I thought it wasn't a bad idea to spend the money on newer one. Please don't mistake "I think the resale value would be decent" with "I think a car is an investment."
They do hold their value. I do not see a massive difference in used TDI prices locally vs prior to dieselgate. Seems to be about the same. I think any value lost will be back as soon as recalls are made.

Its the "im not going to be satisifed with any solution ever unless its as much money as possible and even not then" viewpoint that gets wearing.

Last edited:

dropnosky

Veteran Member
TDI
My health insurance man bought a 2013 Passat TDI SE last week from the local dealership. Car was clean, had 55,000 on it and he paid $17,900 + ttl. I asked him if he knew about Dieselgate and he said no. Guess the dealer failed to mention it. I pointed him here.
Bought my 2012 passat SE at 40k miles right before the scandal at 19k including tax. Prices are still pretty close in value before and after

Last edited:

SoTxBill

Top Post Dawg
TDI
13 passatdsg 10 jetdsg, 09 jetdsg, 2006 jetdsg, 2001Jet, 96passat, 86jet, 81 jet, 78pickup all vw diesel.
FWIW, VW did lie to you and to every other buyer. You may believe the deception to be inconsequential to you because you enjoy the features of high fuel mileage and torque with the car running in the non-compliant map, but you were still deceived, you were sold and promised something you did not receive.

WHAT?? You act like you NEVER talked to a car salesman? VW WILL make it right or buy it back... Capise??? Till then you need to ***** about the excess mpg your getting. Okay then...

I dont know any car manufacturer that has delivered the perfect car.

I actually prefer not to take my car back or let them touch it... I bought it for what it IS.... Not for what you want it to be. It is not a prius or some other eco piece of crapola. It pollutes much less than the tdi I got rid of, and the tdi before that, and the tdi before that, and the tdi before that.... And it drives great and satisfies all my expectations. Its simply a better tdi than what came before it. I'm in a bigger car, a passat and get the same or better mpgs than my jetta. Its quieter and nicer and tons more comfort and very quiet. And plenty economical. I did not buy it to be clean or a green status symbol or to be a dick and run down everyone else who does not on a pius or volt or fart or turd or green snot. If you bought it for THAT reason then I guess you have out smarted yourself and should be mad as hell. But then if you bought an electric car, and your power company uses coal, you might be a worse polluter that the late vw's ever were. You actually killing people everytime you plug in. You are a bad person. :eek:

SoTxBill

Top Post Dawg
TDI
13 passatdsg 10 jetdsg, 09 jetdsg, 2006 jetdsg, 2001Jet, 96passat, 86jet, 81 jet, 78pickup all vw diesel.
Actually the only thing I am mad about...

is I cant go buy a new tdi.. That upsets more than all the other bit$hing on this thread.. Now that is a real downer. Please vw.. get it together and bring back the diesels! :mad:

nord

Veteran Member
TDI
All turned back to VW. Now a 2017 Hundai Tuscon. Not a single squalk in 10k miles.
Actually a "generic" car is considered a consumable. Only the odd duck becomes collectible. That said, the TDI has traditionally held value far beyond it's non diesel siblings.

The future? I guess we'll see. I'm not about to hop on the trade it in bandwagon and I'm certainly not going to allow the legal sharks a piece of action on my behalf.

As to the goodwill cards? Not a chance on that one either. I have the distinct feeling that there may well be hooks in that bait. No thank you.

snakefart

TDI
2011 JSW 6MT ------ 2013 Jetta 6MT (went away)
I signed up too. I have no interest in letting the dealer touch my car except for verifying VIN and/or mileage. I plan on keeping my car until the wheels fall off. A few extra $$$ from VW would get me closer to my Rawtek exhaust and Malone tune :) I guess I could use and money that must be used at the dealer for oils, filters, timing belt change parts.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
Now that's one customer that has a right to be p*ssed. Dealer should have been upfront about this issue but then I guess that would have probably cost them a sale.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
These stories of other drivers flipping out on the road sound like BS to me, or a misunderstanding of the reason why gestures are being directed.
If someone is making obscene gestures at my while driving, I'm sure I deserved it!

aja8888

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Out of TDI's
Now that's one customer that has a right to be p*ssed. Dealer should have been upfront about this issue but then I guess that would have probably cost them a sale.
His jaw dropped when I told him. His purpose was to buy a replacement car for work that gets good mileage since he gets an allowance. He knew I had one and liked the performance. Scumbag dealer should have told him. Car was not a CPO.

dropnosky

Veteran Member
TDI
On the other hand buyer beware. Dealer is a scumbag but the guy didnt do 1 second of research on TDI? Scandal is first thing to come up you type in "VW TDI" on google.

tsingtao

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 Mazda 3 Hatchback 2009 Jetta TDI--Bought back 12/21/16
Is the car damaged? No. Is it needing an as yet undisclosed recall? Yes. Are there 5k new posters looking for payouts from VW? Yes.

Are a wrecked car and a car that needs a recall identical? No.
The drop in value in both cases is the result of someone's (individual or corporate) action.

The drop in value when a car is purchased and driven off the lot is not.

dropnosky

Veteran Member
TDI
The drop in value in both cases is the result of someone's (individual or corporate) action.

The drop in value when a car is purchased and driven off the lot is not.
If you zoom that far out, all 3 are the same. Driving off the lot when a car is purchased is an action by someone is it not?

A tractor trailer and a bicycle both have round wheels. Are they the same?

Jeta Life

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta TDI DSG Auto
What are the facts of this altercarion youve mentioned a couple times?
A guy gave you the finger, drives a subaru, and you dont know why? Is that all?
I was on my way home and I just exited from the Lincoln Tunnel on the Jersey side of the Helix NJ 495 when a couple of miles down the road a light green Subaru Outback driver stuck his entire arm out the window and gave my car the finger just as he saw me signaling to get off my exit. He was about 100 feet ahead of me when he first held his arm out, but he kept his arm up and even risked getting into an accident by slowing down to make sure I saw him and made eye contact.

He saw I was exiting and he made a point to slow his speed to make sure I saw him, I did nothing to him. I am not traumitized, but upset. He was a middle aged heavy set Caucasian with thinning balding brown hair and thick rimmed eyeglasses, nerdy looking type.

My guess is he either is an environmentalist, anti-German, laid off VW employee or disgruntled former VW owner. It was at least two weeks ago when the media was covering the story every day in the NY Times or Wall Street Journal. I am glad the publicity has fizzled and hopefully the media will give a positive article on the TDI Goodwill Program tomorrow.

Jeta Life

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta TDI DSG Auto
Wow ! That's messed up !

I thought there was a stop sale on all affected TDIs, even used ones or was this a non-VW dealer ?

I failed to research my 2009 was a first year poorly designed DPF set-up and sure enough my DPF goes bad. #$@* :eek:

That's horrible, but I still think the 2012 to present Passat TDIs are VWs best car right now. So I think he's still got a good car, big diesel tank with an incredible driving range, some reports of 800 to 1000, wow ! Nice !

Put that in the media, I bet most people don't know that fact about the Passat TDI.