A TDI-ous, dragged-out thread for 2 guys in a generally pointless race to 300k miles

Who will win this race to 300,000 miles on their odometer?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

TomJD

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI GLS, 2015 Golf TDI
Never in my life have I worked so consistently at one thing. Every day of the last 15 months I have had one goal in mind. I undoubtedly gave this pursuit more attention than I should have, but it was fun. So let me say this...I WIN!

Well played, Dozen.

fouillard13

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Jetta TDI Standard
weird. I remember reading this thread almost a year ago before I even bought my first TDI.

I was thinking of it the other day but had no idea how to find it.

now I know!!

good to see.

BeetleGo

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
5-door, 5-speed Golf GLS replaced BeetleGo.
Congratulations Tom!

Did you ever think you would reach this high back when you bought it? People like you are the light that many of us follow for how to do it! I'm lucky. I have an '05 Golf with merely 108k on it. So, I'm keeping this one a while.

What are your plans for a new(er) car? Im hoping your paying yourself a car payment to YOUR liking right now and putting it into a Christmas fund at your bank. With any luck you'd have a tidy sum for when this one eventually fives up the ghost in another hundred or so thousand miles! :D

MonsterTDI09

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta DSG/ up keep on 2009 Jetta DSG 2006 Jetta Pag 2 in North SEA Green
Nice win Tom:). I knew you could do it. You were my pick.

Moesauction!

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2001 tdi 423,000 sold:[ , 2003 tdi 425,000 lower ryder hot rod 17/22 520rc southbend clutch. 2005 mercedes cdi 232,000 sold , 2003 7.3 ford 586,000 miles.
Great thread!! Very entertaining!!

UhOh

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 & 2003 Golf GLS (2005 Mercedes E320 CDI)
Wait, there's a typo!:eek: It should have read "500k!":D Gentleman, start...

And I felt like I was running in circles when I drove past the fueling station by 4 miles (to loop back for the needed additional 8 miles) as I sought to get my wife's car to eek out its first 800 mile tank! (already rung it up on my car) Let's see, if I do the math, 300k - 135k (current mileage), it looks like, carry the one... I have to drive by my fueling station by a total distance of 82.5k miles. Might be do-able:rolleyes: Gotta run!

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
I'm so bummed that I backed the wrong person. How will I ever survive?

Dozenspeed

Top Post Dawg
Hello folks, it is I, Dozenspeed, profound slacker-hermit extrordinaire and loser of this race finally posting my contratulations to TomJD, well done sir, a sound campain on your part. :):):)

So I owe him some sort of steak dinner or something and we are still friends. (I think)

As for me, I am still far below the mark to this day, yes many failed expectations and such.....

Would you all like to read 18 paragraphs of my racing-driver-excuses? :D

OK!!!

.....nah....I don't want to think about them anymore, I lost, Ca la vie

Well, back under the rock I was under, see ya! Maybe when I get whimiscal I'll calculate the mileage-per-day average rates and see just how off expectations were. ;)

Wait a minute... you didn't drive around just for the sake of winning this did you?

Last edited:

TomJD

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI GLS, 2015 Golf TDI
Little update. Since I "won" this race I have just about dropped off of the face of TDI Club.

For all those curious, I am still driving the old girl. Still my only car. I used to have a 100 mile round trip commute. I could do most of the trip without touching the brakes. The average speed was over 60mph, so the car handled it very well.

I drove about 80 or 90k miles that way for 2 years.

Now I have a different job (within the past 2 months) which is closer, but it's almost all stop and go traffic on our highway 270. It's intensely rough on the car and I've experienced noticeable wear on the transmission and brakes. Apparently a 300k mile car isn't the best at daily stop and go traffic.

However since winning, I have yet to cross over 310k! And it's been nearly 6 months. I attribute this to making my fiance drive her baby 200k mile Corolla everywhere.

Thanks for all the followers, and yes, Dozen and I are still friends...I'm just waiting on my steak.