Smoking after adjusting timing.

TurboDirectInject

TDI
2006 Jetta TDI, 5 spd
I took my 2006 Jetta to a 'guru' the other week and he used a VAG-COM to data log the car after performing some work.

One of the readings for timing was showing about a -2.5 output. (I forget the actual variable name). He said it should be between 0 and +1. So the timing was adjusted to give a reading of about +0.5.

Today I noticed my car really smoked when laying on the accelerator in first gear. The guru said adjusting this should make the car smoke less and get better mileage, since I was only running about 39 mpg or so. I never saw my car smoke before today.

What should I do? Could it be something else to investigate? I have barely used an 1/8th of a tank, so it may be awhile until I can tell if the mileage has improved or anything.

Thanks.

Last edited:

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Daughters Car, 2001 TDI Beetle, Wife’s car, 2005 Golf TDI Mine, all 5 spds
That sounds like he adjusted your torsion. He is correct, 0 is the target, but some cars run better at -1 as opposed to +1. Each car is different. I would tell him about the smoke, he may have went to far, maybe 0 or -.5 would help with the smoke and the mpg.

39 mpg is 10 to 15 less than what your car is capable of. The smoke may become less over time. Tell him, but run a tank or two of diesel and see if it clears up or is at least better.
Do you think your mileage has improved since the adjustment?

Is there still a little white sticker on top of you timing belt cover? It has some German writing and a little box. The factory torsion setting should be hand written in or near that little box, followed by someone's initials. If those are still ledgiable, that will be the setting your car had when it left the factory. If you've had to change your cam those factory settings are probably no longer valid.

TurboDirectInject

TDI
2006 Jetta TDI, 5 spd
That sounds like he adjusted your torsion. He is correct, 0 is the target, but some cars run better at -1 as opposed to +1. Each car is different. I would tell him about the smoke, he may have went to far, maybe 0 or -.5 would help with the smoke and the mpg.

39 mpg is 10 to 15 less than what your car is capable of. The smoke may become less over time. Tell him, but run a tank or two of diesel and see if it clears up or is at least better.
Do you think your mileage has improved since the adjustment?

Is there still a little white sticker on top of you timing belt cover? It has some German writing and a little box. The factory torsion setting should be hand written in or near that little box, followed by someone's initials. If those are still ledgiable, that will be the setting your car had when it left the factory. If you've had to change your cam those factory settings are probably no longer valid.

Ok, thanks. I will check for the box today. I know the cams haven't been changed, since it was a one owner car and I got all the service records.

How's the pick-up other wise?

The pick-up is good. I can't really tell if it got any better since the adjustment, but I would say it feels maybe a tiny bit faster since.

JB05

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf,2005,anthracite blue
In that case I think you can rule out a dislodged boost hose.

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
Is the smoke black or blue? IMHO A Torsion value of +.5 would not cause smoke. I would say that something else is the problem.

Might be a good time to check the cam and lifters for wear. How many miles on the car?

Last edited:

TurboDirectInject

TDI
2006 Jetta TDI, 5 spd
So I can see the white box on the timing belt cover, but what is written is kinda hard to read. It looks like something ".99" but kinda hard to tell for sure.

Is the smoke black or blue? IMHO A Torsion value of +.5 would not cause smoke. I would say that something else is the problem.

Might be a good time to check the cam and lifters for wear. How many miles on the car?
It has 155k. I'm gonna have them checked out soon. It looked like diesel smoke, not oil.