Tacho 2.5 reading PIN and programming key

floyd27

TDI
2002 jetta
I was under the impression that IMMO3 chips could only be programmed once.
I am reading a lot of people reprogramming old chips over again.
Is this possible?

pbraunton

Veteran Member
TDI
03' Jetta TDi
Is this possible?
You can't program any chips, they will only emit a certain frequency and it cannot be changed.

When programming a key, you are actually programming the car to allow certain "chip" frequencies to allow it to run. So if you have three keys each key will have a slightly different frequency, but your car will allow any one of those frequencies to start it and allow it to run,

Take your key and put it into someone else's car, (provided the blade is cut to the new car) you can turn the car on, but not start it cause the cluster does not have that specific frequency stored as a "safe" key so it shuts it off within a few seconds

So to answer your question No you cannot reprogram a "chip", but you CAN program your car to learn and store an endless amount of frequencies, but I think it is 5 at any one time, meaning you can only have 5 working keys for your car (i might be wrong with that number), if you loose all 5 of them you can erase them all from the cluster (so if someone find your keys months later they will be no good anymore) and reprogram 5 new ones???

Another way to look at it is, I could take my keyfob, remove the blade, put your blade in my fob, so the new fob would have your blade but the immo would be programmed for my car,
I can then put the key into your ignition(cause the blade would match your ignition) turn it on and program the car to accept my immo and it would allow it to run.........and it would take my less than 10 minutes to do it!!!

Hope that helps

Paul
Sent using my iPhone!!

jetta 97

Vendor
TDI
2 X Jatta MK5 2006
When programming a key, you are actually programming the car to allow certain "chip" frequencies to allow it to run. So if you have three keys each key will have a slightly different frequency, but your car will allow any one of those frequencies to start it and allow it to run,
Immobilizer don't work on frequencies , it works on data what is being read from chip.

Remote for locking doors works on frequencies.
Please don't give wrong info to people .

Last edited:

jetta 97

Vendor
TDI
2 X Jatta MK5 2006
Is this possible?
It can be reprogrammed more then one time but in same cluster( immobilizer)

Being used once , mean you can not have used chip and program it in different car, cluster immobilizer.

*So if you buy key with chip that was used once in other car , you WON'T be able to adopt this key to your immobilizer.

* If you buy new key you WILL BE able to adopt that key to your immobilizer and also rest of the keys that you have for this car.

This is ONLY for immo3+ generations.
Immo 2 can be re used over and over.

Farfromovin

Torque Addict
TDI
03 Golf 2dr- PD150 6m
Do you got the name of this person? Do you know if he can cut if given a VIN? The only place here in town who will do it for me besides the dealer wants almost $100.
He was the locksmith at the San Pablo GTG on March 13 in the West Coast forums (there's a GIANT thread).

Steve99

Veteran Member
TDI
04 Golf TDI, 04 R32
You can't program any chips, they will only emit a certain frequency and it cannot be changed.

Take your key and put it into someone else's car, (provided the blade is cut to the new car) you can turn the car on, but not start it cause the cluster does not have that specific frequency stored as a "safe" key so it shuts it off within a few seconds

So to answer your question No you cannot reprogram a "chip", but you CAN program your car to learn and store an endless amount of frequencies, but I think it is 5 at any one time, meaning you can only have 5 working keys for your car (i might be wrong with that number), if you loose all 5 of them you can erase them all from the cluster (so if someone find your keys months later they will be no good anymore) and reprogram 5 new ones???

Another way to look at it is, I could take my keyfob, remove the blade, put your blade in my fob, so the new fob would have your blade but the immo would be programmed for my car,
I can then put the key into your ignition(cause the blade would match your ignition) turn it on and program the car to accept my immo and it would allow it to run.........and it would take my less than 10 minutes to do it!!!

Hope that helps

Paul
Sent using my iPhone!!
Wow, this all completely incorrect, fur future reference anyone reading this thread ignore all of it.

skully

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta TDI, 2013 GLI Autobahn w/nav, 2014 BMW 328d wagon
Do you got the name of this person? Do you know if he can cut if given a VIN? The only place here in town who will do it for me besides the dealer wants almost $100.
He was the locksmith at the San Pablo GTG on March 13 in the West Coast forums (there's a GIANT thread).
His username here on the forum is NFSTDI and he's a really nice guy. He's based out of Berkeley down here but if he can help you out I'd bet he'd be willing to mail you a key. You should drop him a private message to ask.

pbraunton

Veteran Member
TDI
03' Jetta TDi
Immobilizer don't work on frequencies , it works on data what is being read from chip.

Remote for locking doors works on frequencies.
Please don't give wrong info to people .
How does it read the data on the chip then???

Does it read it with a bar code or something? How else would it obtain the info "data" if that's what you want to call it from the chip?

Paul
Sent using my iPhone!!

jetta 97

Vendor
TDI
2 X Jatta MK5 2006
So your saying I can't take my passat key and program it to run my jetta because it has already been programmed once??I am certain you are wrong on this one!!!

Paul
Sent using my iPhone!!
No you CAN NOT on Immo3,immo4 and 5 generation unless you take all data from one cluster to other.Other wise USED KEY on immo3 CAN NOT be reprogram to other car.
Read this on very bottom:
http://wiki.ross-tech.com/wiki/index.php/Immobilizer

ONLY Immo2 key it can be reused over and over.

Last edited:

Roland

TDI
04 Golf, 06 Jetta
For curiosity sake, I’m interested in resolving some basic workings of Immo3 (Immo only not keyless entry fob). In reading numerous threads and different forums the majority opinion seems to be that the vehicle is programmed to accept the key rather than that the key is programmed to work with the vehicle, and that once a key has been used with one vehicle the Immo component cannot be recycled for use with a different vehicle.

There seems to be an inconsistency between these two points. If the vehicle is programmed to accept the key and the key is not programmed, then the key hasn’t changed as a result of the programming. If nothing has changed with the key, why can the key not be recycled and used with a different vehicle?

Any additional insight?

jetta 97

Vendor
TDI
2 X Jatta MK5 2006
If nothing has changed with the key, why can the key not be recycled and used with a different vehicle?

Any additional insight?
Because key chip takes data( VIN, Immo id) form immobilizer and store it in chip.
Every immobilizer has different data , that way it can't be used on other vehicle.

Steve99

Veteran Member
TDI
04 Golf TDI, 04 R32
During programming the RFID modules learn unique info from the car(IMMO ID and sometimes VIN) The RFID module then produces a serial # in return that is stored in the cars cluster and is unique to each RFID module.

The modules used for the immobilizer have the option of having a programming fuse bit set. With immo II cars VW doesn't set that bit which allows the transponder to be reprogrammed, with IMMO III VW has the cluster blow the fuse bit so reprogramming can no longer take place.

Fufuj69

TDI
AUDI A3 8P 2004
Hello i have an audi A3 8P from 2004 (in france) and i cannot connect to my cluster to read my immo code.

I use VAGTACHO 2.5 and i've try to connect to all cluster model and i doesn't work

Please help me

jcaimhigher

Veteran Member
TDI
2002, galactic blue
Then you might have a hacked version of VagTacho.

Read through everything here and make sure you're following the suggestions. If so, you need another cable or a different software. You CANNOT use the same cable for VagCom and VagTacho.

Fufuj69

TDI
AUDI A3 8P 2004
I have already extract the code for my other car (Golf 4 tdi 130 of 2002) so my cable is a vagtacho cable and it work.

But i can't connecte to the 2004 audi a3 cluster

jetta 97

Vendor
TDI
2 X Jatta MK5 2006
I am assuming that you have VDO cluster ,then Vag -Tacho don't work on that car :
Audi A3,A4,A6,TT, New Beetle Magnetti Marelli M73 (1998-2003 year) read PIN code / change mileage

Last edited:

Fufuj69

TDI
AUDI A3 8P 2004
The car is an 2004 do you think i have a magnetti marelli cluster?

Doest it work with vagcommander?

Fufuj69

TDI
AUDI A3 8P 2004
I have a vdo cluster and it is broken, the speed needle don't move...

I must change it

dieselbb

TDI
'01 New Beetle GLS 1.9L TDI
I used the Vag Tacho 2.5 program to program a new key for my 2002 Jetta. I am writing this in hopes that it will help others to get keys programmed without going to the stealership.

I am going to go over what I did to program my new key, If you follow these instructions, it is at your own discretion and I am in no way responsible for any negative consequences.

1. I ordered a spare key blank some time ago and it had been sitting in a drawer for a while. This is a key with an immobilizer chip, but no FOB.

2. I also bought a vag-tacho cable that came with the vagtacho program, it also had been sitting for several months.

3. I first needed to get the key cut. I tried 3 different VW dealers and ones key-cutter had been broke a while and the other 2 did not have a key cutter. They only ordered keys using the VIN that came precut. Inquiring I got info that a Valet key would be around $65 and a flip-key with new FOB would be around $165 plus programming ($ didn't ask).
To get the key cut I had to go to the AUDI dealership where I was there for a total of 15 minutes. The trace cut the blank from my only key for a total w/tax of $8.74.

4. After installing the program on my laptop, I plugged it the tacho cable and went to the car, Plug in the OBD-II plus into the connector, the green light on the cable will be lit. Start the Vag-Tacho program, after it is up an running, using your old key turn the ignition to on, but do not start the car.

5. On the program go to top, click on select ECU and put the check mark next to 'VDO New'
Now select the button labelled 'Connect Selected ECU'. I first got a message telling me 'Selected ECU Not Found! Try again or Select other ECU!' Going with the first option I tried again by clicking on 'Connect Selected ECU'. I had to do this 3 times before it finally connected and gave me an OK message.

6. After Connecting 'OK', There are more options that become available on the bottom buttons. I first selected 'Read PIN'. replied okay reading, my four digit PIN was revealed and I commited it to memory.

7. I then was ready to proceed with the programming of the NEW Freshly cut key. To begin make sure that the ignition is on with the OLD ALREADY WORKING KEY. Click on 'Program New Key'. A box will pop up with '0000' displayed where your four digit PIN gotten from step 6. I entered the PIN and did not change any other options. Erase all keys WAS NOT selected. The Channel defaulted to 21 so I did not change it.

8. Click on program new key, the program does its magic, my immobilizer idiot light was now flashing. The program then tells you to turn off the ignition, insert the NEW TO BE PROGRAMMED KEY, turn the key back to on, but do not attempt to start the car, Wait 5 Seconds. After 5 Seconds, my immobilizer light was off and I now have 2 keys that will start my car.

*****I originally started with the NEW KEY in the Ignition, I turned the key off and back on to program it. This ends up disabling the original key. I now had to used the NEW KEY and follow the correct directions to reprogram my old key, It worked flawlessly, without a hitch first time. **************

Hopefully this will help someone who like me was searching for this info and you will not have to do as I did and put pieces and parts from different locations.

Good Luck!!
I followed JetBlue's instructions to the letter (???)

Notes of my experience:
#1) I downloaded the files/drivers and installed them.
No good.
The 'dongle' has to be connected when installing the drivers.
#2) Selected ECU depends what you have. New VDO did no good, nor did Old VDO, connecting to "Any Tacho" gives me mumbo jumbo numbers, maybe meaningfull to you experts).
Play with it. In my case it's a 2001 Beetle. Select "Moto Marelli Beetle to 2001" and Jeronimo!! ---- GO AHEAD ---- read PIN ---- there it is.
VAG Tacho 2.5 from China, $ 18.00 (free shipping).