DSG interchange HQN + HXU and what else?

Jbwoo

TDI
15 GSW 06 Jetta BRM
Our 06 BRM Jetta is getting sloppy in the shifting department when cold, and needs a DMF due to rattle. And has over 290K with a shady maintenance past. Searching the internet for other model #'s that interchange with the HQN and HXU. I do know that TDI's are geared differently, and that needs to stay the same, but if I find a low mileage DSG from a 12 or 13 Jetta with DSG will it swap over? Physically is one thing, electronics is another. Looking for interchange advice.

crazyrunner33

Veteran Member
TDI
'10 Golf(bought back)
Have a glance at this thread and decide if you want to chance running something that isn't a HXU or HQN.

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=468040

I've heard of one guy who made a mechatronics work from a common rail onto a BRM, but I can't find the thread.

Unless if you have a nasty bearing whine, I wouldn't change out the transmission. Try running an adaption if you haven't already. If that takes care of the shifting, but it's still slippery, then consider swapping the clutches while you change the dmf.

Jbwoo

TDI
15 GSW 06 Jetta BRM
I have reviewed that post about a swap gone bad. For me the issue about just doing a clutch pack when doing the dmf is the total $ outlay vs overall wear n tear on the trans. Clutches are about 800, and the trans has 280k miles on it. If I can get a unit with 1/2 the miles on it and some maintenance history for the same price it make sense to me for using the lower miles unit.

I have done an adaptation and the issues still persist. I truly think it’s the clutch pack that’s worn out. Not ideal maintenance, and slip shifts when cold on the 2-3 shift. Reverse and 1st gear when cold requires a 1500 rpms before moving.