help for 2003 TDI Jetta wagon

mcolmsted

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 VW Jetta Wagon
Well, the wagon we have had for less than 3 mos is now in the shop due to loss of power/jerking. Once it gets over 50mph, starts feeling like someone is stepping on the brakes repeatedly. RPMs drop and no acceleration possible. Much worse going uphill and much better going downhill. I had thought fuel filter, but I don't know how to tell the difference between this and the MAF (after reading some of the discussions). Car has 8K mi (highway trips over holidays). I am a little frustrated as this is the second Jetta we have had problems with. I was willing to chalk the first one up to a fluke, but now I am becoming hesitant to recommend VWs. Any suggestions?

MOGolf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf GLS TDI Reflex silver, rough road suspension and steel skid plate, 2004 Passat Variant, Candy White, rough road suspension and geared balanced shaft module, and much, much more. 2016 LR RR HSE TD6, 2019 Jaguar I-PACE
Contact GeWilli. He's in your town.

You've also got a pretty decent dealer in Lansing, from the reports here. Williams VW (no relation to GeWilli).

GeWilli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
none in the fleet (99.5 Golf RIP, 96 B4V sold)
Lets see what we can do. If the car is at Williams AW i can call Jeff Fowler and make sure they do what needs to be done. Sounds like timing issue, or a dead fuel pump.

If you've been getting fuel anywhere other than the Amoco on Pennsylvania just south of I-496 the chances are its bad fuel.

email me at willi1gl@cmich.edu (if you don't get an email from me first)

weedeater

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta, 2001, Baltic Green
Seems to me that folks in northern climes are having more problems with fuel gelling than in recent memory. If they can't find anything in a warm shop, they may want to look inside the tank.