www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > Upgrades (non TDI Engine related)

Upgrades (non TDI Engine related) The place of handling, lighting and other upgrades that do not relate to the performance or economy of the TDI engine. In other words upgrades to your TDI that don't fit into TDI Fuel Economy & TDI Engine Enhancements.Please note the Performance Disclaimer

Old September 15th, 2001, 04:55   #1
A. Meyer
Veteran Member

Default Dimming Instrument Lights

Has anyone come up with a way to dim the instrument lights more. I drive on a lot on unlighted rural roads and the instrument lights are just too bright at the lowest setting. About one year ago, this same question was raised, but no solution was offered. Anyone have any new ideas?
A. Meyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2001, 08:49   #2
MOGolf
Veteran Member

Default Re: Dimming Instrument Lights

It looks like the way to accomplish this is to introduce a resistor (variable or fixed) to drop the voltage being supplied to the dimmer switch. This would have to be spliced into the wire connecting to pin 2 of that switch (solid gray wire).
MOGolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2001, 05:40   #3
A. Meyer
Veteran Member

In the previous thread on this subject, it was suggested that the instrument lights were LEDs. I don't have a manual yet. However, if true, I would need to know the Vf and current for the LEDs to calculate the resistance required. Alternatively, if someone knows the max ohms for the variable dimmer in place that would get me in the ballpark.
Old September 18th, 2001, 22:00   #4
Speedracer
Veteran Member

Why don't you just add a high value rheostat inline? That way you could make yourself happy through a simple twist. [img]images/icons/rolleyes.gif[/img]
Speedracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2001, 04:54   #5
A. Meyer
Veteran Member

If the lights are LEDs, a low value resistance is what's required; maybe 50 - 75 ohms. Another option is a diode which will drop the voltage about 0.7 volts and thus dim the lights. I need to wait for my manual to see where the previously mentioned wires are found.
Old September 19th, 2001, 07:38   #6
MOGolf
Veteran Member

Just gently pry out the dimmer switch. Use a thin flat blade from the bottom to pry. The connector on the back of the dimmer has three wires. The one in the middle is the solid gray wire.

I pried mine out. In the process, one of the spring clips on one side came off. I had to use a magnetic tool to retrieve it from the switch's mounting hole. Easily reattached.
MOGolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2001, 23:02   #7
Speedracer
Veteran Member

MIGOLFGLSTDI, Speaking of clips, both of mine came off. One was easily recovered. The other, slid off to the right under the headlight switch. For those wondering on how to get that one, here goes.

Disconnect the dimmer switch from the harness

Pop out the a/c vent by prying on one side as you pull.

Remove the headlight switch by starting in the off position, push in on it and turn clockwise, then pull.

Disconnect the headlight switch from the harness.

You will find one torx screw where the switch was and the other screw where the a/c vent was. Pull whats left out and you will find that dam* clip under where the headlight switch was. [img]images/icons/rolleyes.gif[/img]
Speedracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2001, 15:34   #8
Autopilot
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 50mpg summer, 47mpg winter

The instrument lights are indeed LEDs. They are made by Osram. The LED's are from a family of part numbers that include the numbers LB 673 (the blue ones anyway). They are all surface mount devices. Some shine straight up, while others are set to shine at a right angle from the board they are mounted on.
Autopilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2001, 07:25   #9
A. Meyer
Veteran Member

Thanks for all the info. I think I'll probably use a diode in series with the LEDs since each diode drops the voltage around 0.7v. One may be enough.
Old October 23rd, 2019, 08:19   #10
Andyinchville1
Veteran Member

Hi

Iealize this is an old thread but I figured I would ask here anyways and try to keep all the information in the same place...... how does one solder the diode in to change the brightness to make it lower?

I'm not in electronics Guru so part numbers and step by step instructions would be greatly appreciated I'd love to be able to do this modification also
Thanks

Andrew
Old November 14th, 2019, 16:07   #11
Andyinchville1
Veteran Member

Bump ....
Old November 17th, 2019, 19:59   #12
[486]
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 02 golf ALH
Fuel Economy: 42 stock, 47-49 now

put it in there just twisted together, if it still lights up, solder it