www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI Conversions

TDI Conversions Discussions on converting non TDIs into TDIS. More general items can be answered better in other sections. This is ideal for issues that don't have an overlap and are very special to swaping engines.

Old May 26th, 2019, 15:04   #1
groundscraper

TDI(s): Allroad C5
Default Downgrading the Audi Allroad 2.5TDI(AKE) to 1.9TDI(AVF)

Hi guys, first of all i want to thank everyone that keeps this forum alive, and shares itīs knowledge for free, itīs been extremely usefull, you guys are awesome.
Now, long story short, iīm fed up of the AKE V6 TDI on my recently acquired allroad, and allready bought a B6 A4 "halfcut" AVF 1.9 TDI to "downgrade" my allroad(eventually will be upgraded to 200bhp+)
Iīve seen a few 2.7t gas converted ones, but no single 2.5tdi one around here or anywhere, but i know itīs been done several times, but no real info around, i assume itīs easier(??)
Anyway right know i do not have many questions but pretty sure will have as soon as i start the conversion. As many of you iīll be a good guy and share my knowledge and for sure troubles and hickups.
My 2 babyīs, the A6 is also mine:
https://1drv.ms/u/s!AlY1eE2P7cvOphumzPGmPRqTMbPj
Donor:
https://1drv.ms/u/s!AlY1eE2P7cvOphrtEcc0UlRXjXtI

Last edited by groundscraper; June 5th, 2019 at 18:29.
groundscraper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2019, 11:09   #2
d24tdi

Both look very nice.

What have the problems been with the V6 TDI that make you want to remove it? Cams and IP or other issues?

I have a 2001 Allroad 6spd that I am gathering parts for a US 2.0 PD swap in, but would much rather use the V6 TDI if I could get one.

Any interest in selling the complete V6 TDI setup after you take it out of yours?
d24tdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2019, 09:45   #3
groundscraper

I bought it cheap(ish), with an unkown problem, hard to start. After alot of diggin i discovered it was the fuel cooler, coolant in the fuel system, solved that, car run fine for 2 weeks, then started to have hard starts again. So after much diggin again i discovered it was air in the fuel system, replaced some hoses, some non retun valves problem solved...
Then again run fine for a week or so and started to do the same, air in the fuel filter, it appears the IP is gone, "scratched" inside??? or lets air in somwhere??, and since the fuel filter is above it, the air rises from IP to filter... iīve seen it.

I could repair it, or give it more of my time, but i really donīt like this engine, i wont bother, the turbo is laggy, the torque curve is narrow, itīs not good on fuel, not really that fast, aparently it has all kinds of other problems like the cams, and such associated with it despite this particular engine seems healthy... overall itīs slow in stock form. The only plus is the sound and the smoothness.

Itīs just my opinion, itīs worth what itīs worth, some friends love it and call me insane, but i want to go trough with it.

Yes i would sell the complete swap, engine, ECU, wiring, etc etc, but i never sent anything this big or heavy overseas.
Old June 5th, 2019, 18:02   #4
groundscraper

Hi guys, iīm starting to rebuilt the AVF, and looking more indepth into the swap... especially the electronics, harnesses etc

So both A4 b6 and and A6 c5 have can-bus communication... A4 uses EDC15p+ A6 uses EDC15VM+ ECU, the plugs are the same... iīm planning using the A4 AVF engine harness and EDC15p+ ecu and mate it with the allroad chassis/cabin harness near the "electrical plenum(?)", but thereīs 1 extra orange connector plug on the allroad, thatīs not present on the AVF harness.

Anyone know what it is? Maybe itīs related with the optional "low range" manual gearbox?

I have the complete interior A4 B6 harness, cluster and key, but gonna remove the IMMO 3, since the a4īs cluster is diferent in form and shape from the A6īs, then i realized thereīs AWX/AVFīs A6 were i live, maybe i can get a 1.9 cluster and use that with the chassis A4 harness but that would be dash out job, on the plus side would avoid to repin, or cut any wires to the cluster, this if all other plugs and ecus in the allroad are a direct fit to a4 harness, wich i doubt.

Allroads and A6īs(AVF/AWX), A4īs B6 use 2 common 32 pins, the green and blue, but differ on a 3rd plug.

So resuming, Clusterīs are different and engine to chassis harnesses is missing a orange connector on the AVF engine side.

So im trying to define a strategy to adress the issue and this crazy noob idea came to mind, can i simply wire the 4 plugs from the AVF to the allroad chassis side and see what it does?? or iīm risking frying the ECU, cluster, etc etc What did the 2.7t to BGW guys did? "Repin" first?

EDIT: Nevermind all the above, itīs been a steep learning curve, and iīve been studying quite hard... so just ignore the post, the plugs donīt even match and i found my strategy.

Last edited by groundscraper; June 11th, 2019 at 15:19.
Old November 14th, 2019, 15:54   #5
groundscraper

Updating: Long story short, the manual gearbox(kinda) broke so i demoralized a bit... this and the AVF i bought was a bit of a lemon...

So bought a long ratio (A6 quattro) DQT gearbox and diff(4.11) and decided to rebuild the AVF head... just to find the cam was ruined, the Hydraulic lifter had a hole, and the head was cracked and full of EGR gunk...

Aparently its pretty common, it was almost unanimous that every PD is cracked, and alot of people run them like that, with no ill effect, a guy even told me is nitrous 300+ ibiza run fine with the cracks... itīs only worrying when it reaches the injector seat... ***! Did anyone assembled the head like that?

Some Pics and more news soon

Old November 16th, 2019, 16:35   #6
vwztips
Veteran Member

I swapped a BHW and DQT into a 2001 AllRoad. Pretty straight forward. Used a cluster for a A6 TDI.

The euro version of the BHW is a BGW. The orange plug has

fuel pump relay 85, blue/red

ignition srarter switch d/15 black

cruise/brake/clutch red/white

fuse 18 feeding ecu, n75, pcv, motor intake flap red/green
vwztips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2019, 14:15   #7
groundscraper

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwztips View Post
I swapped a BHW and DQT into a 2001 AllRoad. Pretty straight forward. Used a cluster for a A6 TDI.

The euro version of the BHW is a BGW. The orange plug has

fuel pump relay 85, blue/red

ignition srarter switch d/15 black

cruise/brake/clutch red/white

fuse 18 feeding ecu, n75, pcv, motor intake flap red/green
Thanks for your reply... The BGW is as i understand a stroked AVF/AWX with more emissions stuff basicaly... so i thing the AVF should be about the same hardware wise... The plugs im not that far yet... but i have a passat b5.5 AVF ECU and harness for the B6 AVF engine... expect it to make it easier.

What diff did you use with the DQT? The allroads have the short 4.3 ratio, the DQT is 4.11, so i bought a CUB diff, wich matches, but i found another problem, my Allroad as a "low range" gearbox, and itīs about 20cm longer than the DQT, so i need a new a longer driveshaft.

Does a normal A6 quattro driveshaft fit the allroad? lenght wise i mean... i know the central bearing is diferent, because of the height in the suspension and subframes...
Old November 20th, 2019, 11:17   #8
vwztips
Veteran Member

The A6 2.7t had 4.11 rear diffs. I used it and the prop shaft from a 2000 A6.
vwztips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2019, 02:45   #9
CasaEd

As regards to the cylinder head cracks by the injector holes, I too have seen several heads like this and it has no ill effects on re-using the head, Also on high powered PD's 300+ hp without nitrous and daily drivers
CasaEd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2019, 19:17   #10
groundscraper

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwztips View Post
The A6 2.7t had 4.11 rear diffs. I used it and the prop shaft from a 2000 A6.
Ok, they fit, anyone know if the Auto, being tiptronic or not, and or manual have the same lenght?

The reason i ask is i can get plenty of auto propshafts, manuals are quite rare... i can confirm that manual with "low range" are 20cm shorter then normal a6 quattro 6 speed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CasaEd View Post
As regards to the cylinder head cracks by the injector holes, I too have seen several heads like this and it has no ill effects on re-using the head, Also on high powered PD's 300+ hp without nitrous and daily drivers
Yea, iīve read alot, and talked about this with some well informed people, all said the same... but me being a perfeccionist, i donīt like that at all... and im after 200bhp/400nm on a 2ton AWD "house", so it will be properly stressed engine.