www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW Touareg TDIs

VW Touareg TDIs This is a general discussion about Touareg TDIs. Non TDI related postings will be moved or removed.

Old October 9th, 2019, 13:00   #16
psd1
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: See Fuelly link

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom_B View Post
Go to the vwcourtsettlement.com website, all of the booklets as a result of the settlement (U.S.?) are there under the "Approved Emissions Modifications" link on the 3.0 Liter Vehicles page. If I recall, the booklets were sent or given to the owner as a result of the fix. If you don't have one you can print it.

For example, see p. 5 of the link below for your specific request:
https://www.vwcourtsettlement.com/wp...NAL_ONLINE.pdf
I have the booklet, and have still had a dealership deny free adblue. Thats why I was looking for source on this much more direct statement.

"AdBlue® re-fillings will also be offered free of charge between service intervals for:
- 10 years or 120,000 miles, whichever occurs first from the vehicle’s original in-service date; OR
- 4 years or 48,000 miles, whichever occurs first, from the date and mileage of the emissions modification"

psd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2019, 13:10   #17
KITEWAGON
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by psd1 View Post
I have the booklet, and have still had a dealership deny free adblue. Thats why I was looking for source on this much more direct statement.

"AdBlue® re-fillings will also be offered free of charge between service intervals for:
- 10 years or 120,000 miles, whichever occurs first from the vehicle’s original in-service date; OR
- 4 years or 48,000 miles, whichever occurs first, from the date and mileage of the emissions modification"

Same. My dealership interpreted this to mean that free adblue would be provided between services, but not AT services. So I had the car in for a 150k service (really just an oil change and getting new tires mounted) and they wouldn't fill it for free because I was at a service interval. They said it would be free if required at 155k or whatever. I think its BS, but really I wouldn't take my car in for this anyway. I'd rather pay $12 for the jug of it and do it myself than waste my time at a dealer. I just happened to be there. As it turned out there was an open bulletin for the adblue heater so they fixed that and had to fill the adblue as part of that repair so I got my free fill anyway.
KITEWAGON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2019, 16:26   #18
psd1
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KITEWAGON View Post
Same. My dealership interpreted this to mean that free adblue would be provided between services, but not AT services. So I had the car in for a 150k service (really just an oil change and getting new tires mounted) and they wouldn't fill it for free because I was at a service interval. They said it would be free if required at 155k or whatever. I think its BS, but really I wouldn't take my car in for this anyway. I'd rather pay $12 for the jug of it and do it myself than waste my time at a dealer. I just happened to be there. As it turned out there was an open bulletin for the adblue heater so they fixed that and had to fill the adblue as part of that repair so I got my free fill anyway.
Interesting, I have a 14 and haven't seen a bulletin/repair letter.

Old October 10th, 2019, 06:00   #19
Tom_B
Veteran Member

Quote:
If I'm not mistaken the linked booklet contains the word-for-word statement on page 5 under "Changes in Maintenance Schedule." However that booklet may not apply to your vehicle, if your vehicle is different. I've read a lot about the settlement that relates to Touaregs, but I'm not as familiar with settlement aspects for other vehicles. I've not been denied for our Touareg or Audi with 3.0L engines, but that's no good to anyone else when addressing different dealers. Good luck.

Last edited by Tom_B; October 10th, 2019 at 06:06.
Tom_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2019, 07:38   #20
Radman
Veteran Member

Quote:
Interesting, I have a 14 and haven't seen a bulletin/repair letter.
I never got the letter either, they only advised me when I was in for NOX sensor replacement.
Old October 10th, 2019, 08:50   #21
psd1
Veteran Member

Quote:
My dealership interpreted it to mean that I HAD to have the vehicle serviced there.

Old October 10th, 2019, 08:51   #22
psd1
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radman View Post
I never got the letter either, they only advised me when I was in for NOX sensor replacement.
Thanks for the response!

Old November 14th, 2019, 11:56   #23
Tom_B
Veteran Member

Quote:
I did our adblue refills on our 2009, pre-settlement. Since then our dealer(s) have provided free refills on our 2014. This week we had a CEL, VCDS scan provided:

17277 - SCR NOx Catalyst Bank 1
P20EE 00 [232] - Efficiency too Low
MIL ON - Intermittent - Confirmed - Tested Since Memory Clear

Took it to a dealer knowing it should be covered under extended TDI warranty. They tested the urea concentration in the fluid, stated it was below spec, and asked if I had used genuine VW DEF. Told them it had always been refilled at another VW dealer, who had records to verify. Since it could be verified, the cost will be covered by TDI warranty -- $600 to drop the adblue tank, drain and refill.

Just food for thought, for those that DIY, might want to consider buying the slightly more expensive genuine VW DEF and keeping the receipts.
Old November 14th, 2019, 15:00   #24
crazyrunner33
Veteran Member

Keep in mind for future reference that urea consumption correlates pretty well with fuel consumption. For modern Cummins engines, it's typically 50:1 since they don't use EGR to reduce NOx once warmed up. I'd try and compare your urea usage over time vs gallons of diesel to keep an eye on the ratio.