www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKV-A5 Golf/Jettas

VW MKV-A5 Golf/Jettas Discussions area for A5/MkV Jetta/Golf (2005/2006 PD and 2009 CR).

Old November 4th, 2019, 07:41   #1
phantom1260
Veteran Member

Default P0746 Code after DSG Service at Dealer

My vehicle went into limp mode I believe. It would not go into reverse and was stuck in a single gear going forward.

I had to towed to the dealer and they said they will check to see if it's related to the DSG service I had them perform on Thursday.

I picked up the car after the service on Thursday and Sunday afternoon my wife was gone on an errand when I got a call that the vehicle won't go into reverse. Once I got there I was able to get it into reverse I'm guessing since the transmission had time to cool off while my wife was waiting for me to get there. After I restarted again I lost reverse again.

The gear selection indication on the dash disappears shortly after the vehicle is started. So it will say P when I start and then it'll go away after 3 seconds.
The car was also had the heater core replaced and coolant flushed during the same visit.

I scanned the code and it had a P0746 code. What are the chances they under-filled the DSG during the service? or is it more likely just a coincidence.
The vehicle is at 248,511 Miles (399,940 KM) so anytime I go into the dealership they are quick to blame things on the amount of mileage the vehicle has.

Since I was able to get it into reverse once it had time to cool down I'm thinking it could also be the temp sensor or a loose ground. Would it be all or nothing if it was the mechatronic module or would it be hit or miss as I was able to get it into reverse at least once.

Last edited by phantom1260; November 4th, 2019 at 07:46.
phantom1260 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2019, 08:39   #2
mextdi
Veteran Member

The solenoid not working properly which is the code you're getting could be normal wear and tear on a transmission or could be a sign of as you say, under-filling. If the car wasn't doing any of these things before it is obvious that the dealership has somehow created them. Could be a loose or broken ground or shoddy workmanship. They have insurance against mistakes performed on vehicles, they just don't like to use it. Call them on the phone and tell them they have to fix it, if they give you trouble you can try calling VW in Canada and explaining the situation, they have muscle. Don't let them bully you into fixing it at your time/expense.
mextdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2019, 08:45   #3
phantom1260
Veteran Member

Just received a call back from the dealer. They say its the mechatronic unit. There's a leak that's getting into the unit and causing the unit to fail. Their solution is to replace the unit and that will repair the leak as well.

Total $2952.50 CDN

Parts (M- Unit) $2152
Gaskets/Bolts $58
Labor $607.50
Diagnostics Fee $135

They were adamant that it has nothing to do with the service and everything to do with the age and mileage of the vehicle.

I guess I'll be making a call to VW customer care and see what they will do.
Old November 4th, 2019, 10:56   #4
phantom1260
Veteran Member

Customer care has not been helpful at all. Basically all they do is call the the dealership and then reinforce whatever the dealer explains to them.

I asked to be escalated to a manager. I should expect to receive a call back withing 24-48 hours.
Old November 4th, 2019, 13:33   #5
phantom1260
Veteran Member

After looking more into what the Mechatronic unit is. The dealers explanation does not make much sense to me. The mechatronic unit is full of transmission oil where is sits. So how could a leak be feeding into the unit and causing it to fail.

If they said there's a leak and its causing the fluid to be low and the unit to throw an error that would make more sense.

There was no mention of a leak when they did the service or any indication of a leak ever before. So that leads me to believe it was either under-filled or during the service they caused a leak.
Old November 5th, 2019, 12:33   #6
phantom1260
Veteran Member

While I wait for VW customer care to call me back I've been looking into my options.

I've seen online some are able to test the solenoids in the mechatronic unit and replace the faulty one. Has anyone here done so successfully?

I'm still hoping I can get VW to cover, especially since 2 of the main factors causing this issue can be over filling or under filling the transmission. Perhaps they overfilled it and now that's causing the leak.
Old November 7th, 2019, 13:54   #7
mextdi
Veteran Member

I have heard that VW can usually step in and help, and be fair. Sucks they are giving you so much trouble.

You could look into hiring a lawyer and suing the dealership, that is another possibility. Sometimes, the lawyers will only charge their fees if you win. Ask around, someone on here might know a lawyer in your area that can do such kind of work.

On the 01M transmission, the solenoids used to go out and were somewhat easy to replace by replacing the valve body. You have a newer DSG unit which is somewhat different. If you have to replace the valve body on your TDI it should also not be EXTREMELY difficult since the unit faces the front of the car as is somewhat easy to access once the air filter assembly is removed. You can look into getting your valve body reconditioned or purchasing a reconditioned unit as well. You can possibly just replace the faulty solenoid but you'll be kicking yourself if one of the other ones go out shortly thereafter.

Best of luck!
Old November 7th, 2019, 14:00   #8
phantom1260
Veteran Member

If I replace one of the solenoids do I need to do any reprogramming with VCDS?

I have a meeting with the service manager later on tonight. If that does not go well I will need to consider my options.

First I'll need to confirm the fluid level is correct. Then check the grounds and wiring for any shorts. If that does not help then I'll be taking the mechatronic apart and testing the solenoids.
Old November 7th, 2019, 17:36   #9
phantom1260
Veteran Member

I just replied to another thread where someone had a similar issue but wanted to update this thread as well.

Just got back from the dealer and as per the pictures they provided I have a leak in the Mechatronic unit connector as well.

They cleaned it up and reconnected it but on my way home from the dealer the transmission faulted out again and I was limited to 1 gear.

No error code yet this time but before I went to the dealer I pulled Code P0746. They provided me with the code P1814 at the dealership.

Any idea if there is any way to stop this leak or is my only option a new Mechatronic Unit?

Old November 8th, 2019, 06:58   #10
phantom1260
Veteran Member

After some more research last night I've read that there are 2 o-rings behind the mechatronic cover on the connector. Some have had luck with replacing those two o-rings and the cover gasket to stop the leak.

I will have to drain the new DSG fluid and replace it again. I guess I don't have to change the filter though. If there's enough space to test the solenoids without taking the mechatronic offf I will try to check the resistance as well while the cover is off.

I've added some pictures that depict the mentioned o-rings.

Old November 13th, 2019, 16:02   #11
mextdi
Veteran Member

If just replacing the seal and the o-ring do the trick, then you'd be golden! However, be advised that the amount of fluid in and around the connector must have had some sort of consequence. I am not sure if the DSG fluid conducts electricity but I am thinking it can easily short things out, confuse the computer, etc. It is not good at all. Before you continue with repairs on your own, fight for your rights as a paying customer. If you do the repairs and then maybe get a reply, at most you will receive compensation for parts used, definitely not loss of vehicle use and time.

If you continue with the repairs on your own, I would advise to buy a brand name contact cleaner and clean and DRY very well both connectors before attempting to reconnect them. You will probably not need to replace the filter unless you introduce dirt and such into the oil or the system. I am sure when you remove the cover you will do this so probably a good idea to replace the filter as well. Try first to replace the o-ring by the connector, then clean, run and test. If you are still having a leak, then the cover would be an idea but the o-ring seems to be directly responsible for the leak into the connector itself.

Best of luck!
Old November 14th, 2019, 11:56   #12
phantom1260
Veteran Member

I've gathered all the parts and tools I need for the job. Hoping to find some time this weekend to tackle it.

I just need to source 2 more jack stands in order to lift the vehicle level from all 4 corners.
Old November 18th, 2019, 07:40   #13
phantom1260
Veteran Member

I was able to open up the Mechatronic cover this Sunday and replace the O-rings. After it was all done the vehicle still had the same symptoms. Once it got up to temperature the I lost reverse and only had a single gear forward.

I also replaced the fluid and I think I may have under filled it. When I went to drain it after the transmission fluid reached 35 degrees I only had a small trickle drain out.

I also tested all of the solenoids and none of them seemed to have a bad reading.

Next steps:

I'm going to try to put in another liter of fluid and drain the excess again to make sure I got the level correct. I did not do the basic settings either so after I check the fluid level I can try that to see if it helps.

Since it only happens once the transmission fluid is up to temperature I would think its not a wiring issue. There was quite a bit of fluid leaked all over the place. I think what happened was the transmission was fine the first couple of days after the service at the dealer and then because of the leak once enough fluid leaked out it started to give the error for the pressure control valve N215 since the fluid went to low.
Old November 23rd, 2019, 17:50   #14
phantom1260
Veteran Member

I redid the DSG fluid today. Put in another litre and drained the excess once it got up to 35 degrees.

Did not seem to help. Once the car gets up to temperature it losses reverse and only 1 gear forward.

I ohm tested the N215 solenoid along with all the others last week and it was fine. Perhaps it was not completely bad but has an intermittent fault. I'm hesitant to change out the N215 solenoid since the resistance was okay on it. I don't want to spend money on the solenoid if it's not the problem.

One thing I haven't checked is the grounds. I'll see if I can check that tomorrow. I'm having a hard time believing the oil in the connector is the issue.

Considering looking for a used transmission and swapping it in instead of paying $1500-$2500 for a new Mechatronic.
Old November 24th, 2019, 09:15   #15
Ol'Rattler
Veteran Member

A really great reason to never own a VW with a DSG transmission. If my wife couldn't drive a manual, she can walk every where she goes if she does not have her own car. Her auotragic Toyota's certainly keep the piece in my house. If you own a VW, an automated transmission (DSG or auto) is a very bad and expensive idea.
Draw-Tite hitch
Dash Tray
Blue tint aspherical mirrors
Euro Cupholder
Euro Light Switch
2nd grocery hook
VCDS Hacks: DRL Disabled-Seatbelt Chime Disabled-Key fob Power Windows
Adjusted Cam to Crank Timing
Ol'Rattler is offline   Reply With Quote