CR random stumbling

crazyj

TDI
2009 Jetta Wagon TDI
Hi all, I'm wondering if anyone has had similar issues to me:

Randomly, car will stumble like a missing injector for 2-3-4 blocks after startup. It was also long-cranking, but that's been mostly resolved since VW replaced in-tank pump.

I was fairly annoyed but not really concerned until this past week, it started, then stopped hard like a hydrolock or blocked intake (it had the cold weather intake installed when it did this last year).

I waited a few minutes, and tried again several times. Each time, wouldn't really crank more than a revolution, and then stopped. Eventually it started and, while it took a while for it to get running nicely, it was eventually fine.

Is it possible for an injector to fail open with these? During the winter, I've thought I had injector nailing. Really loud clatter like someone whacking two boards together. VW of course says "that's normal"

Anyone have a similar experience? I mean with the car. Experiences with VW dealerships like mine are expected.

Owain@malonetuning

Associate Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
PD jetta wagon
dsg? only on cold starts?

EGR and intake swirl flaps can both cause some irregular behavior. Would be best to pick up a VCDS cable in the long run, it'll pay for itself over time. Measuring block 13 will show you injection deviations, doubt it's a fueling problem.

Have also seen a failing ASV cause some irregular behavior.

crazyj

TDI
2009 Jetta Wagon TDI
No, it's a 6-spd.

I'd have to check when my EGR flap was changed, but it has been at some point. Intake is new or less than 6mos. they changed that the last time I had issues. I'll dig out may cable. No codes that are throwing an engine light, but I'll see.

jetlagmech

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 jetta
Your description exactly describes intercooler icing. Have had it happen to me several times. water in the intake sucked up into the cylinder. I see you said the cold weather intake was installed but many have had it happen again after the VW "fix".

I drilled a tiny hole in the bottom of my intake just before the intercooler to drain water during the winter. I put a screw in the hole during the summer. never had it happen again since. Never threw a code for me either.

KITEWAGON

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Touareg Exec, 2014 JSW
The stall definitely sounds like it could be intercooler icing. I've never had it with my JSW but our 2011 had this condition once or twice.

mextdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI 1.9, 2012 Passat TDI SE DSG, Previous 2014 Beetle TDi, 2012 Golf TDi DSG
You want to get this taken care of sooner rather than later. Hydrolocking will break your engine VERY quickly.

Miser_TDI

TDI
2004 Jetta GLS (Galactic Blue, Leather, cold wx) JUST PURCHASED: 2012 Jetta TDI, blue, DSG. Nice car. :)
Rather ironic

It's rather ironic I find this thread this morning after having a nice fight starting my 2012 CR this morning.

It has the updated intercooler, still has the problem if the conditions are right, and still has the problem if the conditions are right even if I put on a cold weather block/air block/whatever it is called on the front.

I'm going to call VW Customer care again and see if I get anywhere. It's under the dieselgate warranty so I would think they'd want to be proactive and actually fix it in lieu of owing me a new engine, but that's just me .... I called them last winter and while they were "cordial" they really wouldn't do anything for me. I'm going to try again and at least I'll waste some folks time.

The local stealer of course says if there's no light, there's nothing they can do. I do have VCDS and will scan it tonight but even after the "fight" last time I pulled codes, there were none.

Does anyone have a picture where specifically a hole (and what size) needs to be drilled? The previous owner of this car got a little overzealous with the hole drilling (more than one, and probably too large and in wrong locaitons) and it was causing enough of a leak to throw codes. (hence the replacement/updated intercooler).

Other than the hole mod (and a tune that tunes out the low pressure EGR, which from my searches seems to be the cause of the problem) is there any other definitive fix?

I would much rather VW fix it and not void the dieselgate warranty by drilling a hole (you know how they look for anything and everything to deny ....)

Apologies for the cynicism, I have not had my allotment of coffee yet.

Ninja edit: spelling/formatting

-Miser