www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW Touareg TDIs

VW Touareg TDIs This is a general discussion about Touareg TDIs. Non TDI related postings will be moved or removed.

Old October 18th, 2019, 10:33   #1
TDIAtlanta

TDI(s): 2014 Touareg
Default Acceleration Lag

I have a 2014 VW Touareg TDI and I love the car but there is a significant lag in acceleration. As I push down on the accelerator it lags until I release and then press again and it takes off. Anyone else experience this "problem"
TDIAtlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2019, 12:39   #2
oilhammer
Certified Volkswagen Nut Vendor

Fuel Economy: fantastic

A reflash will wake it up! Lots of heavy beast to get moving, the engine needs to get up on boost a little to get through the slushbox to get it going.
Old October 18th, 2019, 20:02   #3
Matt-98AHU
Loose Nut Behind the Wheel Vendor

Fuel Economy: Depends on which TDI :)

Seems to be a common complaint among many owners after the "fix".

It likely has to do with more aggressive EGR duty cycles with the software update. Boost will ramp up much more effectively once at least the high pressure EGR is told to close. It's also possible the valve isn't closing as effectively as it should or the MAF readings aren't 100%.

Could always unplug the high pressure EGR valve and go for a spin, see how much difference it makes in response.

Or, you know, a tune does fix that... though it also may void the generous extended warranty you get thanks to the court settlement.
Old October 21st, 2019, 15:06   #4
TDIAtlanta

Thanks for the reply's. However I'm sorry "oilhammer" but I'm only a shade tree mechanic and don't know what a reflash would entail.

Matt-98HU - I will research where the high pressure EGR valve is and check that out.
What do you mean by a 'tune", id hate to void any warranty since I only have 54,000 on the car and plan on driving it for a long time. But would like to educate myself on any possible fixes.
TDIAtlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2019, 06:54   #5
Timujin
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 14 T-Reg

Try this

Try the throttle reset procedure... as the system is adaptive and sometimes needs a good old microsoft reboot. 1: Car off.... key in the ignition 2: Car on.... engine NOT running 3: Press gas pedal all the way to the floor.... hold for 10 to 15-seconds. 4: Take foot off gas pedal 5: Turn off car --- take key out of ignition 6: Open driver's door Close the door... start the T... take it for a drive... see how it works.
Old October 25th, 2019, 09:32   #6
ralekato

TDI(s): 2003 Jetta
Fuel Economy: 49, 54, 58, 62
Default Will try throttle reset procedure

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timujin View Post
Try this

Try the throttle reset procedure... as the system is adaptive and sometimes needs a good old microsoft reboot. 1: Car off.... key in the ignition 2: Car on.... engine NOT running 3: Press gas pedal all the way to the floor.... hold for 10 to 15-seconds. 4: Take foot off gas pedal 5: Turn off car --- take key out of ignition 6: Open driver's door Close the door... start the T... take it for a drive... see how it works.

I can't even let my wife or anyone else drive my 2013 TDI since when I pull out into traffic and it will just lag and not move. I have to push and release the pedal and then accelerate real quickly. I will try your throttle reset procedure and let you know if it helps me. Thanks, Tom
ralekato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 11:04   #7
MO Treg

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilhammer View Post
A reflash will wake it up! Lots of heavy beast to get moving, the engine needs to get up on boost a little to get through the slushbox to get it going.

how do you and/or your shop feel about working on Flashed trucks.
MO Treg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 14:09   #8
oilhammer
Certified Volkswagen Nut Vendor

Fuel Economy: fantastic

Not sure what you mean.... test drives are more fun!

I have no problem "working" on them so long as any changes don't make my job harder or impossible.
Old Yesterday, 14:35   #9
MO Treg

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDIAtlanta View Post
Thanks for the reply's. However I'm sorry "oilhammer" but I'm only a shade tree mechanic and don't know what a reflash would entail.

Matt-98HU - I will research where the high pressure EGR valve is and check that out.
What do you mean by a 'tune", id hate to void any warranty since I only have 54,000 on the car and plan on driving it for a long time. But would like to educate myself on any possible fixes.

You might check out https://www.kermatdi.com/.

I put their tune on recently, so I dont have a long term review, but in the short time I've had it, its safe to say there is no turbo lag.
MO Treg is offline   Reply With Quote