www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI 101

TDI 101 Got a simple/basic TDI question? Are you a newbie (new to the forums). Feel free to post your question here.

Old October 21st, 2019, 15:35   #1
fouillard13
Veteran Member

Default Is this the sound of my clutch dying? (Mediocre vid inside)

03 alh. Standard. 233,000km.

Is this the sound of my clutch dying? Happens around 2200rpm or when taking off in 1st from a dead stop. Also seems to make the sound when I hit dips in the road. What’s going on under there?? Also has a hum at highway speeds too. Sure seems like my clutch all of a sudden died. It’s not slipping horribly. Maybe a tiny bit, but that sound is painful.
https://youtu.be/2SzncEyHmTM

fouillard13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2019, 16:01   #2
eddieleephd
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 38mix / 47@70-75

I don't know what that noise is. Does it do it consistently at the same rpm in all gears? That would denote a great/trans issue.

It almost sounds like a bracket or shield. Hard to say without riding in it and hearing where it's coming from

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk
'02 1.8t Jetta Wagon Alh w/5spd swap, SB 21#SM DD, bew lift pump, 11mm IP, VNT17, Malone stage4 tune, Stealth pipe, BMW Cyclonic CCV filter, 2.5"cat back st. pipe,Vr6 brakes, 2" lift, Panzer, Bilstein HD, fill tube ectomy, soon to be Bosio DLC 1020's PD_fuel_delivery TDI Search Plug release tool Howto terminal release tools VW/Audi
eddieleephd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2019, 16:13   #3
FLASH1970

From my experience, a clutch dying happens when you press the accelerator down, the RPM goes up but the car doesnt accelerate accordingly or at all. Or the car will accelerate and at some point the RPM might slip a few hundred revs (without any changes in how hard the pedal is pushed) then come back down once the clutch fully catches. I'd check to see if something is loose as mentioned above.
Old October 21st, 2019, 16:19   #4
csstevej
Veteran Member

I’d check you heat shields ......particular the ones above the cat area.......maybe the star washers let loose.
Old October 21st, 2019, 16:22   #5
fouillard13
Veteran Member

yeah its hard to tell in the video. it sure sounds and feels like its something rotating AND grinding. it does it around 2200 rpm and when taking off from a dead stop.

its not consistent and seems to come and go as I mash on the pedal. its not slipping though, I know that feeling and it still pulls decently hard.

I will drive up on stand tomorrow and see if I can see anything there. I do have a beefy metal skid plate but it doesnt sound like somethings loose. its something rotating for sure.

someone else told me its my DMF?

Old October 21st, 2019, 16:25   #6
csstevej
Veteran Member

That usually sounds like a can with marbles in it when it starts to go...
Old October 21st, 2019, 16:33   #7
fouillard13
Veteran Member

damnit. I hope its not something impossible to find and diagnose. ill crawl under there tomorrow and see what I can find I guess. not sure what im looking at/for though.

Old October 21st, 2019, 16:45   #8
eddieleephd
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 38mix / 47@70-75

Definitely could be a dual mass flywheel going out.
Mine just got more difficult to shift and then impossible to get into first at a stop. I had to start it in first while pushing in the clutch and then let out. All gears got more difficult and I knew the flywheel was coming apart.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk
'02 1.8t Jetta Wagon Alh w/5spd swap, SB 21#SM DD, bew lift pump, 11mm IP, VNT17, Malone stage4 tune, Stealth pipe, BMW Cyclonic CCV filter, 2.5"cat back st. pipe,Vr6 brakes, 2" lift, Panzer, Bilstein HD, fill tube ectomy, soon to be Bosio DLC 1020's PD_fuel_delivery TDI Search Plug release tool Howto terminal release tools VW/Audi
eddieleephd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2019, 16:56   #9
fouillard13
Veteran Member

thats good to know, I cant fix it right away so will have to limp it around until I can get the parts and up to my mechanic. I will keep an eye out for it being harder to shift.

Old October 21st, 2019, 17:28   #10
csstevej
Veteran Member

Up on ramps, crawl under to the cat area an on top of the cat you will see tin above the exhaust.......just tap around and wiggle it.
On mine the star washers that hold it up were rotted out, got some new ones and all is fine.
Old October 22nd, 2019, 22:41   #11
fouillard13
Veteran Member

didnt get a chance to get under it today, we got like 120 kmh winds today.

I did drive it... tried to slip the clutch and it doesnt slip. it DOES make the sound when I hit dips and speed bumps so its making me think its not the clutch.

I used to hear a "bzzzt" sound when going fast and hitting dips... but it seems its gotten worse. its now this. I wonder if its a wheel bearing or something? will try to jack it up too and see what I can find but I really have no idea what im doing or looking for.

Old October 23rd, 2019, 17:59   #12
fouillard13
Veteran Member

well. I figured it out. took skid plate off to take a look... couldnt see anything other than a serious oil leak coming from somewhere. put the skid place back on and took for a drive... and the sound is gone. so I must have hit a deep rut or a big mud chunk last weekend while driving a gravel road and it dented my skid plate or something and made it rattle.

Old October 24th, 2019, 11:19   #13
miningman
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2003 Golf

So you found a serious oil leak and chose to reinstall the skid pan and hope the oil leak fixes itself??? Doesn't sound like you do much preventative maintenance.
miningman is offline   Reply With Quote