ALH Gauges

SweitzerWorks

TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon 5 spd
Hey gang. Wrapping up this 4runner swap:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TmqHi7h42vk

I'm trying use the factory toyota gauge cluster for as much as possible. I'm wondering if there are tach and temp signal wires coming out of the ecm that might work.

I'm a total electrical novice, but I understand there are probably voltage/resistance differences.

Let me know,
Thanks!
-Jackson

eddieleephd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 jetta Wagon
You'll have to look through the wiring diagram and follow the wires from the crank sensor. It should run and split to the cluster and ECU.
The thought I have is to pull the tach motor from the ALH cluster and Mount it in the Toyota cluster along with the tach card.

Just a thought.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

jmodge

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 alh Jetta, RC2 w/.205's 5speed daily summer commuter and 2000 alh Jetta 5spd swap, 2" lift, hitch, stage 3 TDtuning w/.216's winter cruiser, 1996 Tacoma ALh
If it interests you, i have seen a bluetooth transmitter plugged in to the diagnostic port sending a signal to a cell phone. The phone had a gauge app and a magnetic base. He had the phone on his dash.

He said the transmitter was $25 and the app was free, however with a $10 option he was able to have more gauge options and rearrange the gauges.

One of the signals it picked up was the tach

Hasenwerk

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
1982 Cabriolet (BEW|VNT17|Stage4), 1989 VW TriStar Syncro soon-to-be CR TDI (CBEA), 2001 Ford Ranger Edge 4x4 (ALH|VNT17|R520|Stage4)
You'll have to look through the wiring diagram and follow the wires from the crank sensor. It should run and split to the cluster and ECU.
The thought I have is to pull the tach motor from the ALH cluster and Mount it in the Toyota cluster along with the tach card.

Just a thought.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk
Tachometer
Where did you get that information from? G28 (Crank Position Sensor) goes exclusively to the ECU and I would not splice anything into that! The ECU has a dedicated tachometer output. The Toyota tachometer is expecting an "analog" signal, so an adapter is needed to make the tachometer work.

Coolant Temperature
For the coolant temperature, the coolant sensor on the side of the head has four wires, two for the ECU and two for the instrument cluster.

jackfolstam

Veteran Member
TDI
MkI Rabbit ALH swap
What kind of intake manifold is that?

I was thinking the same thing about the speedo for my swap, to try and gut the Mk4 cluster and drive my speedo with the electric motor. I haven't torn into the cluster yet but I worry that there's more pcb or components on a pcb that the speedo drive needs to operate correctly. The goal would be to have a functioning speedo in my stock cluster while retaining the Mk4 cruise control.

CasaEd

Veteran Member
TDI
VW Passat TDi B4, VW Passat TDi B4 GL, VW Passat B3 PD AWX Conversion
For the Tacho signal it's pin 27 out of the ECU, and as Hasenwerk has alreadly stated, it's a digital signal. You can't just take the electric motor out, it needs the pcb to work.
The Temp gauge wires are pins 1 & 2 on the four pin sender unit plug.