'84 Toyota Truck 1Z TDI Swap

cumminsfromthecold

Veteran Member
TDI
'84 Toyota 1Z 4WD x-cab, '13 Jetta Wagon
Just because you are getting fuel doesn't necessarily mean you are getting enough fuel. You mentioned gunk in your injection pump and sending it off to rebuild, any chance that same gunk is in your hard lines and/or injectors?
I don’t think so because it ran awhile, and I get fuel moving in the line in and return line.

jmodge

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 alh Jetta, RC2 w/.205's 5speed daily summer commuter and 2000 alh Jetta 5spd swap, 2" lift, hitch, stage 3 TDtuning w/.216's winter cruiser, 1996 Tacoma ALh
The point Rick made is a valid avenue to check. If you fire those injectors outside of the cylinder make sure you protect yourself.
I’ve seen them fired via a homemade tester made out of a hydraulic jack. They were hooked to the tester with the steel line and put into a large metal coffee can so the pattern could be viewed. The pressure is significant enough to cause injury.
I’ve also seen testers for sale.

Have you ever tried dragging it down the road in 3rd gear?

cumminsfromthecold

Veteran Member
TDI
The point Rick made is a valid avenue to check. If you fire those injectors outside of the cylinder make sure you protect yourself.
I’ve seen them fired via a homemade tester made out of a hydraulic jack. They were hooked to the tester with the steel line and put into a large metal coffee can so the pattern could be viewed. The pressure is significant enough to cause injury.
I’ve also seen testers for sale.

Have you ever tried dragging it down the road in 3rd gear?
That’s kind of where my mind was going, too, so thanks for reinforcing his point. I think Trinity Diesel here could pop test them.

jmodge

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 alh Jetta, RC2 w/.205's 5speed daily summer commuter and 2000 alh Jetta 5spd swap, 2" lift, hitch, stage 3 TDtuning w/.216's winter cruiser, 1996 Tacoma ALh
I take it compression is there. You can roll it by hand two revolutions and feel 4 compression strokes just as a rough test.

White smoke means there’s some trying to burn. You said it ran but you had to advance the timing to get it going?

jmodge

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Can you get pump IQ, injector balance, and timing?

cumminsfromthecold

Veteran Member
TDI
Can you get pump IQ, injector balance, and timing?
Yes. Can post later. Lots of monitoring on the 28 mile shakedown cruise. The only weirdness was downshifting/engine braking and then resuming throttle or accelerating. Smoke, blue and white, odd sound, loss of power. But it resolved in 10-15 seconds. Stopped eventually after that hour + of it running and restarted. Two glow plug codes and an 00550 (?) code, “start of injection regulation - control difference - intermittent.”

And here’s what I found, not unlike what I am reading here, with everyone’s input:

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
White smoke generally means not enough air. Is the ASV on the EGR working properly? Is it hung closed?
Also, too much advance timing or too slow can cause white smoke.

cumminsfromthecold

Veteran Member
TDI
White smoke generally means not enough air. Is the ASV on the EGR working properly? Is it hung closed?
Also, too much advance timing or too slow can cause white smoke.
Thanks Andy! Timing, even with engine warm, _leapt_ between barely in spec on the low end and too advanced to be plotted. I have video.
No EGR.
That 00550 code pretty much nails it, as that linked Vortex post above describes.
The injection pump case pressure relief valve: same for 1Z as the ALH? I gotta locate it, too.

jmodge

Top Post Dawg
TDI
That kinda sounds like cold start solenoid or timing mechanism doing some sticking.

If you’ve got some, or had some, issues with crud in your fuel system that should be cleaned up. Also Might not hurt to run the truck on some straight diesel purge

cumminsfromthecold

Veteran Member
TDI
That kinda sounds like cold start solenoid or timing mechanism doing some sticking.

If you’ve got some, or had some, issues with crud in your fuel system that should be cleaned up. Also Might not hurt to run the truck on some straight diesel purge
Thanks. LiquiMoly?

cumminsfromthecold

Veteran Member
TDI
Ok, two weeks later...

" That kinda sounds like cold start solenoid or timing mechanism doing some sticking."
Agreed.

The Vortex link above accurately describes what's happening. The part description:

"Injection pump case pressure relief valve prevents excess case pressure from damaging the injection pump. However, as these valves age they begin to "walk" to a partially-opened position. When partially opened the pump cannot maintain case pressure, which is vital to proper injection timing advance. Symptoms of a walking case pressure relief valve include smokey starts & lower power."

There's a pic, too. Where is that part on the IP? I'll have to look around.

I'm not a magic chemical fix kinda guy, but if there's in fact merit in doing the diesel purge thing, I guess that's easy enough.

Numbers:

Cold: Pump IQ, Injector balance, Timing - those numbers changed, but when the thing started on the gazillionth crank, with coolant temp at 48C, the cold start valve was a 88% (the range specified is 3-70). Start of injection quantity 40.2.

Warm: injection quantity 3.8 (3-9 normal range). Fuel temp 84C.
MAF 482mg/str.
Cyl 1: - .45. Cyl 2: - .16. Cyl 3: .14. (Range is -2 to 2).
I have a video of timing, when hot, jumping wildly between the lowest/red line threshold (retarded) and off the top of the screen (too advanced to plot).

Later in the drive, injection quantity dropped to 3.6. Fuel temp was 93C
Actual start of injection: 0.0 BTDC.
Cyl 1: -.19 mg/str
Cyl 2: .05
Cyl 3: .24

MAF specified sits at 850 mg/str all the time.
MAF actual sat at 492.

Later in the drive, Cyl 1: .26
Cyl 2: .07
Cyl 3 -.82

I have other numbers I can provide if the operating pic still isn't clear.

cumminsfromthecold

Veteran Member
TDI
The IP case pressure relief valve for the 1Z, per ID Parts, is unavailable. It’s not the same as the one for the ALH.
Local injector pop test is $25/per injector. May do that after the suggested Diesel Purge (LiquiMoly) move.

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
Tacoma 4x4 converted to TDI
The IP case pressure relief valve for the 1Z, per ID Parts, is unavailable. It’s not the same as the one for the ALH.
Local injector pop test is $25/per injector. May do that after the suggested Diesel Purge (LiquiMoly) move.
You can use the alh valve in the 1Z/AHU