New to TDIClub? Introduce yourself here!

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
You can always try but if it fails you are stuck with it more than likely. You might just see if it can be resealed. The gaskets and stuff are available from Dieselgekk at the link below. There are threads here on how to do this yourself or ask your mechanics to do it. I would investigate this first.

https://www.dieselgeek.com/collections/vw-tdi-injection-pump-seal-kits

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=246765&highlight=fuel+pump+seal

We also have a trusted mechanics list here too that could do the job if one is near you.

Jetta_Pilot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat Highline TDI Candy White (SEL Premium) long gone 2002 Jetta TDI
Hi all,so we bought a clean CPO 2013 Golf TDI with 65,000 miles. So far, so good, except its white, and we wanted blue.

I'd say be happy with white!
Any dark color looks great just after being washed and an hour later starts showing the dirt again.

When I bought my Passat I had a choice,black, Opera red and white.
I chose white, even after four weeks or so still looks clean!

ProfBrown

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW SE DSG
Hi all,so we bought a clean CPO 2013 Golf TDI with 65,000 miles. So far, so good, except its white, and we wanted blue.

I'd say be happy with white!
Any dark color looks great just after being washed and an hour later starts showing the dirt again.

When I bought my Passat I had a choice,black, Opera red and white.
I chose white, even after four weeks or so still looks clean!

White is the way to go. Had an old e36 black bmw. Dirty within 20 minutes after washing back when I lived on paved roads. Had a truck that was a very deep graphite blue, thing was also dirty within an hour of washing it. My white GSW is lucky to get a wash once a month when I am in school.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon GLS 5-speed Manual
new MK4 Jetta Wagon owner

good afternoon.
I recently procured a 2003 Jetta Wagon 5-speed GLS that was meticulously maintained by the second owner, for the majority of it's 83K miles. I am used to driving and wrenching on Volkswagens, as I've been a licensed driver since 1989 and have owned several other Volkswagens (including a $35 1986 Scirocco that I drove for a couple summers, but that is another story). Currently I keep a 5-speed 1993 Cabriolet (102K) on the road whenever our abbreviated summer season allows. This TDI is my first car from the 21st Century though and I am mesmerized by the experience, needless to say I've purposely driven the long way home from work each night, hoping to catch a red light in order to prolong the fahrvergnügen. Being a Minnesota vehicle , the car has been subjected to road chemicals, subsequently there are manageable rust deposits, which I will eventually need to address either via replacement parts or some diy body work.
has anybody recommendations for sourcing used parts preferably locally in the Minneapolis/St. Paul area?
has anybody recommendations for a TDI guru, in the event I am unable to wrench on it myself?
thank you for any insight.

hskrdu

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Golf GLS 4D 5M, 2015 GSW SE 6M
good afternoon.
I recently procured a 2003 Jetta Wagon 5-speed GLS that was meticulously maintained by the second owner, for the majority of it's 83K miles. I am used to driving and wrenching on Volkswagens,

Being a Minnesota vehicle , the car has been subjected to road chemicals, subsequently there are manageable rust deposits, which I will eventually need to address either via replacement parts or some diy body work.

has anybody recommendations for sourcing used parts preferably locally in the Minneapolis/St. Paul area? has anybody recommendations for a TDI guru, in the event I am unable to wrench on it myself? thank you for any insight.
ggg- Welcome aboard. Spend some time learning how the site is set up and where to find threads and best post questions. You'll get more/better answers in the right locations. Also, the search function will help quite a bit.

The 2003 with ALH & 5M is one of the best TDIs, and one of the easiest to work on- your VW experience will help quite a bit. The best body panels are OEM VW, and best sourced from rust-free salvage yards. I've been using body parts from SoCal yards, but finding cars being parted in non-rust belt areas isn't too hard.

I can't help with Minn area salvage yards, but try posting in the regional threads:

http://forums.tdiclub.com/forumdisplay.php?f=34

The list of trusted mechs in in TDI 101:

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=130044

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
has anybody recommendations for a TDI guru, in the event I am unable to wrench on it myself?
There are several extremely knowledgeable individuals in the Twin Cities who can help when you run into a problem. But the one I always count on is Eric Merker, who works at Midwest Motorworks in Hudson. He's been solely responsible for keeping my red Golf on the road these last eight years, and has now just finished preparing a white Jetta wagon for (hopefully) many years of future service. (I also have a blue Golf which needs some major work.)

terpsgeorgia

TDI
2006 Jetta BRM
Hey Everyone.

I am new here, but not new to TDI forums. Have a 06 BRM Jetta DSG, 172k miles, no mods. Have had a lot of injector problems but otherwise, aside from normal maintenance, it has been ok (DMF, Cam, Timing belt, alternator pulley, injector seals/1 injector went bad etc).

I know there are some folks here from other forums I am on so happy to reconnect with folks.

So Hi!
Larry A

DGweez

TDI
Passat TDi SEL
Kinda new

Greetings all, back into the family since I left in 2013. Had a 6mt Jetta that was a little small with a wife and three kids. Kept it for six months and traded it in and kicked myself for doing it when "dieselgate" came out.
Just purchased a 2014 Passat SEL with 25k on it and love it! Hope it holds up better than the pile of crap Hyundai I traded in the Jetta for-

Mofoliar

TDI
2011 Jetta Sedan
Newbie here

Hello,I purchased 13’ Jetta A/T w/DSG with 122,000 @$5,500 from 3rd party car lot! It had been a pretty good car minus Transmission died after 3 weeks of purchasing the car, thankfully it was covered under VW diesel warranty!

Kaimeric

TDI
'98 Jetta TDI Malone Stage2+Nozzles, 2000 Golf dlc1019’s, Malone stage 3 tune, S.B. Stage 2 endurance (Thanks durbo)
Hello Everyone,
Recently joined the forums but have been lurking for almost a year. I purchased an MkIII AHU Jetta TDI early-ish this year after seeing it as an in-progress project on craigslist, justified it with my 100+ mile daily commute. I knew generally what I'd have to do, and have wanted one of these since I had a '95 gasser back in high school. So I've gotten it going, fresh TB and all the stuff I *needed* to fix, run up 6k miles or so and have been having the time of my life messing with, finally getting ready to replace the clutch here in a bit (could last depending on how much I lay off the throttle but...lots of country slowpokes on backroads around here and sometimes I can't help but pass :-/ ) Going to keep this as mechanically sound as possible and just run up miles on it as my "beater" DD. I've really gotten the TDI bug though, and once it's in the cards I'm hoping to pick up another TDI to get to know, likely an ALH Golf. Thanks everyone for all the info, and for what seems to be a pretty awesome group to interact and tinker with.
-Steve

boojieboy

TDI
2002 Golf
Howdy. Just bought myself an 02 Golf from a situation where it had sat unused for three years. 134K on the odometer; a lot of cosmetic issues. I bought it thinking I'm going to make it my first real "project car." Engine seems to run fine, sounds good and all that, once its warmed up, so I am happy enough about that.

I am going back to school and changing jobs with potential long commutes and this thing will be way more fun than our other high-mpg vehicle, a Prius. It's my second VW, my first being a Mark 2 gas Jetta which I took to 320K miles before it finally just crumpled into itself and formed a tiny singularity in my back yard.

Got the timing belt done, just replaced the glow plug harness and the interior heat blower, but now I need to put new tires on and deal with difficulty starting the car when it is cold, which is always at this point in the year here in Wisconsin. Runs fine once its warm, so I figure on running some Liqui Moly EGR cleaner through and then LM Diesel purger as well. All I need to do now is to get it to where it starts fine in the cold and then once it warms up next year I will start dealing with bigger issues. Have the Ross-Tech VCDS and guess I'll be spending a lot of my time figuring out how to use that too.

DanjenTDI

TDI
99 Jetta gl
Hello everyone,

New old member here. Had to create a new user name as I’ve since changed emails and couldn’t retrieve my password for my old account. Recently picked up a 99 mk4 Jetta gl, 5speed with 153k to daily back and forth to work. Had previously owned a 1z swapped b3 Passat wagon. Plan on driving the new Jetta for a few months stock to get through the winter, then doing some mods to up the power some. Coming from a modded fiesta st, the tdi could use a little more get up and go. Glad to be back in a tdi and back on the forum

Doggsbody

TDI
PD 1.9 tdi ( skoda fabia mk1 )
Hi I'm the new owner of a fabia mk1 with a PD 1.9 Fri engine code atd. I'm from hull in the uk, it's my second type of diesel engine I've had ( 1st was the transit banana 2.5 DI ) but unfortunately I didn't think to learn about repairing when I first passed my test, the body needs replacements and a few interior bits too, my main reason for buying it was the PD engine, as I joined a vag group on Facebook to try n find out how to solve the problems with a vw new bug that l picked up for my partner which is where I read about the PD engine. So yes I'm a slightly converted ford owner ��

Last edited:

gaucho

TDI
New to the forum. I am passionate about tdi powered VW Westfalias and VW Vanagons. Syncro and non syncro. Family also owns and share an indestructible 2006 Jetta tdi since almost new. I am mostly interested in learning as much as possible about the mTDI AHU which I was told came from a 1998 Jetta donor and was swapped into a 1987 VW Syncro Westfalia. Joined the forum to see if there is a way to replace the six mechanical extra gauges that monitor the engine with something that would serve as an interface to send the mTDI data to a smartphone or tablet and re-claim valuable dashboard space that I could then use with the wife to put road souvenirs, feet up, coffee/tea/mate and all the precious important stuff that found a temporary spot on previous vanagon dashboards with less critical engine gauges needs. A previous tdi powered (not mTDI) VW Vanagon that I had did have an OBD2 port which conveniently allowed me to connect a scan gauge and worked flawlessly. I sold that one a few years back. Unfortunately, this otherwise nice mTDI powered Westfalia Camper van that I drive almost daily, does not appear to have anything remotely looking like an OBD2 diagnostic port or any wires that I would identify as engine data. I am no expert and maybe I am missing something or need to be educated by somebody that is familiar with this particular mTDI AHU engine. I have yet to learn how to navigate this forum and perhaps post my question under the right topic section. Thank you, and I apologize in advance if I am irritating anybody by posting this in the wrong section.I promise to listen and learn and contribute in a positive exchange when able.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Last edited:

hskrdu

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I am mostly interested in learning as much as possible about the mTDI AHU which I was told came from a 1998 Jetta donor and was swapped into a 1987 VW Syncro Westfalia.

gaucho,
Welcome aboard. This thread is mostly for introductions and basic questions, so fewer people who may be able to help will see your questions. We have a whole forum for swaps / conversions, including a thread with links to previous projects. Check those first, and navigate a little using the search function. This will allow you to post your questions in the best location. See these:

http://forums.tdiclub.com/forumdisplay.php?f=63

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=142679

1854sailor

Resident Curmudgeon
TDI
2015 Golf SE SportWagen, 2015 Golf SE Hatch Back.
VW adopted OBD in 1968, so there's probably a port somewhere. Maybe someone more familiar with the Westies will chime in with the location...

...Unfortunately, this otherwise nice mTDI powered Westfalia Camper van that I drive almost daily, does not appear to have anything remotely looking like an OBD2 diagnostic port or any wires that I would identify as engine data...

1854sailor

Resident Curmudgeon
TDI
2015 Golf SE SportWagen, 2015 Golf SE Hatch Back.
Found THIS on the trusted mechanics page...

The dealer seems to be blowing me off - I've got a DTC code of P1557 that indicates a turbo problem. He said they don't make it anymore & an after-market turbo would run $2400 & we don't do that since we can guarantee it. I have no idea what to do next - hate to get rid of my father's car while he's alive. Thoughts? :(

hskrdu

Top Post Dawg
TDI
The dealer seems to be blowing me off - I've got a DTC code of P1557 that indicates a turbo problem. He said they don't make it anymore & an after-market turbo would run $2400 & we don't do that since we can guarantee it. I have no idea what to do next - hate to get rid of my father's car while he's alive. Thoughts? :(

"The dealer said..."

1) Take your 2000 ALH to a TDI Guru.
2) Codes that relate to the turbo often indicate other, cheaper, easier problems, from vacuum lines to the actuator.
3) Several turbos that match the original are available, if needed, for your vehicle, and they certainly don't need to cost $2400. Run away from the dealer, and support vendors that support this site:

https://www.idparts.com/garrett-vnt-15-turbocharger-a4-alh-p-388.html

OEF14vette

TDI
2012 Jetta 2.0
New member to the TDI Club (3rd TDI)

Hello all, just purchased my latest TDI a 2012 Jetta 6 speed manual. First TDI was a 99 and second a 2001. After driving my 2007 ram 2500 5.9 Cummins as my daily for a few years it was time to get back into a TDI and I found this one with 72,000 miles and extremely clean for what I feel was a good deal. Look forward to catching up on having a break between tdi generations. Cheers, Alex

smoke4ndmears

TDI
2000 Jetta
Hello erbody! On a bit of a lark I bought a 2000 Jetta TDI off a good buddy who happens to own an auto shop. It has been his and his partners beater car for the last couple years and mechanically is ready to tack many miles on top of the 300K it already has. Beater duty has meant that a few non-critical issues have piled up, so I'll be dealing with the blender door, window regulator, passenger lock, and wing mirror not working to get the car fully functional. Good times!

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Welcome! Those will be the easy things. When was the timing belt changed last? That is the biggie. Shocks, brakes all rubber lines and hoses. A whole list of small items. Good luck! they make great commuter cars if you take care of them and drive some miles.

smoke4ndmears

TDI
2000 Jetta
Belt was done within last 5k. Brakes are all good (TT units I think, with stainless lines). Shocks could stand to be replaced, but aren't atrocious. It's really down to creature comforts and removing dog hair at this point. I am quite tickled by how the motor sounds and feels...

Redrocketdi

TDI
2013 VW Jetta Sportwagen
Hey! Thanks for the add. My name is fayiz from Acworth, Ga with a 13 sportwagen

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

1fineTDI

TDI
2014 Passat SE 2.0L DSG
Hello everyone. First post here. A little over 2 months ago I bought a 2014 Passat TDI SE w/ Sunroof & Navigation. So far I'm in love with car. This is my first time owning a diesel and first time owning a DSG.

Growing up my dad had a 2000 Passat 1.8t, so I've always had a soft spot for these cars. I know that the US spec Passat catches lot of flak, but for 2014 at least, it's a pretty solid car.

Anyways, I'm glad to be here. This site seems like a good resource for a new TDI owner.

Strudy68

TDI
2003 Jetta
New member Just brought a 03 jetta home to IA from Elpaso (kid was at Fort Bliss) thought it would complement the ole Duramax in the driveway Lol been reading til I'm blind every night! like most forums great info new to VW's not so much to diesels..Thanks

ramseygoat38

TDI
2013 Golf
Hi there, new member from MN. Got in a bad wreck and my trusty Honda kept me safe, have been wanting to try a VW for a long time so finally got me a 2013 Golf. I just had to do the TDI as they have always interested me.
Quick question though, as I am living in MN and we have to have diesel with a bio blend up to %20 what does that mean for my car and warranty? That's well over the 5% VW likes for these cr engines apparently.
Other than that my little red golf has been awesome. Looking to add nice air box to it and maybe change up the exhaust a bit. Otherwise I love it.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
As spec'd by VW if your state mandates a 20% blend or less than it is still covered by warranty as far as the fuel goes. You are asked to check your oil more often to insure the level doesn't rise (I do this every fill up anyway) due to possible cylinder washing from post injections. In my experience using some 20% blends it is a non issue, but check anyway. Long ago someone here tried B100 in these cars when they were new and had this issue. I have read of no one really using B20 or less that has had any issue or with VW in the few mandated states that require this.

Last edited: