Oil extraction from dipstick tune info. Dipstick tube info

SoCalC

Veteran Member
I am sure some of you know this and some of you do not.

I acquired a simple pump with a clear plastic hose that is more or less a perfect interference fit on the top end of the dipstick. The top is already necked down somewhat. However, when the hose gets to the bottom of the tube that perfect interference fit is now too large and the hose will not descend into the crankcase. Wonderful. I am hoping there is some good reason for that design because the result is a pita.

jettawreck

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta and 2003 Jetta
Get smaller diameter tubing for the pump. Tubing on mine is about 3/8" OD and reaches all the way to to bottom of the oil pan. The fit on the dipstick doesn't matter. When the tubing is into the oil/fluid that's where the airtight "seal" occurs.

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)
Get smaller diameter tubing for the pump. Tubing on mine is about 3/8" OD and reaches all the way to to bottom of the oil pan. The fit on the dipstick doesn't matter. When the tubing is into the oil/fluid that's where the airtight "seal" occurs.

Agreed. You can't extract oil from the top of the dipstick tube. The extractor tube must go to the bottom of the oil pan to be able to draw out the oil. Also note that you want the oil to be warm so that it is easier to extract, but not so hot that it melts (or softens) the hose.

Have Fun!

Don

flee

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS wagon
The extraction hose that came with the Pela looks exactly like a cable housing for a 3/16" cable.
It's probably the best solution as it is nearly indestructible and very heat resistant.

SoCalC

Veteran Member
I'll probably end up using the Pela.

One thing though, who has other vehicles that have a dipstick tube that works with a 3/8 hose let along a 1/2 hose? Are a bunch of newer cars setup this way or is this just a VW, possibly German or ?? thing?

Yeah the seal on the tube isnt imortant it was just nice solid feel and moved bst with bit of lube on the outside. Nice smooth tight feel, until the next neck down... not fun ;-)

Metal Man

Vendor
TDI
1998 NB TDI, 2006 Jetta TDI, 2014 Tiguan gas, , 2019 E Golf X2
The bigger hose sizes probably works on boats and trucks. I've only ever used the small sizes as discussed above, did my lawn mower today.

jjblbi

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SEL TDI
I've used a Pella for all my oil changes since adding a Panzer plate to my lowered mk4 Jetta in ~ 2002.