Transmission?

cj25

TDI
2013 Passat
I know the Turbo seems to be a big issue for the Passat, but is there any info on when transmission issues occur? We're at 120k and trying to decide whether to fix or sell back. The extended warranty seems to cover a lot of issues, so just curious about transmission.

bobthefarmer

Veteran Member
TDI
2006.5 Jetta Mk 5 192K miles; 2012 Car of the Year, Passat Tdi SE+Nav in blue nightgown, shod in 18 inch heels
As long as you maintained it with DSG Fluid change every 40,000 miles, they will last a good long time with high reliability. Its a $100 DIY or $350 at dealer.

tadawson

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL, 2015 Passat TDI SEL
There were a number of Passat turbo failures early, but I don't recall many this last year since the fix for that issue was released . . .

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Assuming it is an automatic, the DSGs have proven to be pretty reliable.

DMFs will almost always at some point and time need to be replaced, but not really *that* big of a deal. Mechatronics unit sometimes, but rarely, need to be replaced. I would not be too concerned about it if I were you. Just service it every 40k like it is supposed to be and motor on.

jrm

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SE with nav (totaled)
There were a number of Passat turbo failures early, but I don't recall many this last year since the fix for that issue was released . . .
the new emissions update software erases the turbo fix 23n5 update as mine is back to full boost blow torch even earlier than before- now it starts immediately where as before it held off until 3rd gear- today I had both fans roaring full speed with 1100F EGT before I was out of the driveway

New Mickey

The user formerly known as mickey
TDI
2015 Passat
Explain "turbo fix" to me. Back in the day the VNT-15 turbos used to fail way too often, and we knew they were running very close to the surge line.

I've heard there are anecdotal stories that "fixed" Passats have "less turbo lag", which of course would mean more boost at low flow, and that's exactly what leads to surge and detonated turbos.

-mickey

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Explain "turbo fix" to me. Back in the day the VNT-15 turbos used to fail way too often, and we knew they were running very close to the surge line.

-mickey

Um... what? I was around "back in the day", and then, as now, Garrett VNT15 turbochargers have proven to be very reliable, even on mildly modded cars like both of my ALHs.

The VERY EARLY ALHs, which for us here meant just some very early 1998 New Beetles, were cursed with a BW turbo from the factory, and those ALL blew up almost right away. But there were only a handful of those (maybe even just a few hundred) that actually made it here. They continued to show the VIN split in ETKA for many revisions for a long time. Those early units quickly got a supercession to the newer Garrett ones they continued to use through 2003.

unixb0y

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat Comfortline 6MT Nav
the new emissions update software erases the turbo fix 23n5 update as mine is back to full boost blow torch even earlier than before- now it starts immediately where as before it held off until 3rd gear- today I had both fans roaring full speed with 1100F EGT before I was out of the driveway
What are you using to monitor this?

jrm

Veteran Member
TDI
torque pro android app and a cheap OBDII Bluetooth adaptor

jrm

Veteran Member
TDI

I've heard there are anecdotal stories that "fixed" Passats have "less turbo lag", which of course would mean more boost at low flow, and that's exactly what leads to surge and detonated turbos.

-mickey
the 23N5 software was released to lesson aggressive heat and boost stress to the turbo when the engine was cold, see here
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=360617

jjblbi

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SEL TDI
I changed my DSG fluid on Friday at 121k miles, nothing unusual. Shifts now are super smooth. Last car ('06 Jetta) needed a mechatronic at 185k and is going strong at 235k miles.

Rico567

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium (Turned in 7/7/18)
Well, good that they extended the warranty on the turbo then . . . .
If you are counting on the 10/120k extended warranty on the turbocharger, you need to check your VIN with VW and make sure you are eligible. Some VIN's are, some ain't. Our Passat happens to have the extended warranty, but I found out when I got a letter.
It's just like the extended warranty on the HPFP, it applies to the earlier CR years of the Jettas, etc., but AFAIK no NMS Passats are so affected.

Rico567

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium (Turned in 7/7/18)
I changed my DSG fluid on Friday at 121k miles, nothing unusual. Shifts now are super smooth. Last car ('06 Jetta) needed a mechatronic at 185k and is going strong at 235k miles.
Our DSG has been smooth, reliable, and predictable since new. I did the DSG service myself at 40K, now at 60K. Since we'll be doing the buyback next year, will probably not do another service. I don't see how it could matter— the old oil I drained from the DSG was a bit darker than the new stuff, but still completely clear. OTOH, we put about 75% highway miles on the car and, being septuagenarians, don't exactly drive it "like we stole it."

NB: There's a thread in here somewhere that can be looked up, guy claimed the DSG in his Jetta wasn't serviced until 180K, oil came out looking OK, and that he was still driving on at 120K. (I am neither saying this is true, nor do it recommend it in the least.)

tadawson

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL, 2015 Passat TDI SEL
If you are counting on the 10/120k extended warranty on the turbocharger, you need to check your VIN with VW and make sure you are eligible. Some VIN's are, some ain't. Our Passat happens to have the extended warranty, but I found out when I got a letter.
It's just like the extended warranty on the HPFP, it applies to the earlier CR years of the Jettas, etc., but AFAIK no NMS Passats are so affected.
We have that, but I was referring to the inclusion of the turbo in the warranty extention that comes with the fix.

- Tim