Improving the trunk light

DieselRacer

banned
TDI
BMW Advanced Diesel...2011 BMW 335d
What is the lumens on that LED? Ours has 18 LED Chips. And close to 500 lumens.

This is interesting, we did not know until VeeDubTDI msg'ed us today.
Just got my lights from deAutoKey, can't wait to install tomorrow...:)

deAutoLED.com

Vendor
TDI
2002 jetta TDI
Just got my lights from deAutoKey, can't wait to install tomorrow...:)
Thanks, we appreciate the support.

We were looking over posts, we see people are posting many different companies, I think it is fair if vendors can also participate in suggesting products RELATED to the post. But we think we should also have to pay for that privilege, I am sure it cost money to run this forum.

I am going to speak to an admin about suggesting a change.

Thank you

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
Thanks, we appreciate the support.

We were looking over posts, we see people are posting many different companies, I think it is fair if vendors can also participate in suggesting products RELATED to the post. But we think we should also have to pay for that privilege, I am sure it cost money to run this forum.

I am going to speak to an admin about suggesting a change.

Thank you

We don't do paid sponsorships and it is very unlikely that Fred is going to modify the vendor policy. Either way, that discussion should take place in the Forum Help & Suggestions section.

chmod

TDI
2014 Passat SEL TDI
just installed

My trunk light upgrade from deAutoKey.
Trivial to enlarge the opening slightly. Big boost in lighting.
Simple upgrade, happy to retain a stock appearance.

Sigforty

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat w/DSG
The question posted has been a concern of mine since I bought my passat. I am still out on what direction I want to take, but it is nice to see the options out there.

deAutoLED.com

Vendor
TDI
2002 jetta TDI
My trunk light upgrade from deAutoKey.
Trivial to enlarge the opening slightly. Big boost in lighting.
Simple upgrade, happy to retain a stock appearance.
Thank you for the order and feedback, it is pretty simple to cut the trunk lining for a lot more light. It will look fully OEM, and be a crisp bright white with little work. Some B7 have the bigger housing and will require no cutting.

We don't do paid sponsorships and it is very unlikely that Fred is going to modify the vendor policy. Either way, that discussion should take place in the Forum Help & Suggestions section.
Thank you for the suggestion, we went ahead and made a post to see what people think about our suggestion.

And this was one of our arguments, we assume Sigforty is referring to all posts, not just ours, but it is nice to know our company can be one more in the mix:

The question posted has been a concern of mine since I bought my passat. I am still out on what direction I want to take, but it is nice to see the options out there.

detroitmike

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat DSG
Great thread, we have a bright simple solution that looks neat and installs in a second:
http://deautokey.com/product/volksw...passat-cc-eos-bright-error-free-plug-and-play

Please note you need to have the bigger housing installed (~3.5 inches) not the smaller one, if you do have the smaller one, you can cut a bit of the trunk carpeting and fit this one in the same as if it was the smaller housing. Some people have done that with no issues.
This is a waste of time and money. Location is the difference.

best you can do for the money is get this

http://www.bold-sport.com/store/ind...product&keyword=oem+trunk+light&product_id=93

GET THE CONNECTOR HOUSING.

wire it in...you're golden. simple. Lots of posts on it.

deAutoLED.com

Vendor
TDI
2002 jetta TDI
This is a waste of time and money. Location is the difference.

best you can do for the money is get this

http://www.bold-sport.com/store/ind...product&keyword=oem+trunk+light&product_id=93

GET THE CONNECTOR HOUSING.

wire it in...you're golden. simple. Lots of posts on it.
Well, it does a pretty good job of lighting up the trunk if it is not blocked.

Can you please post DIY threads showing how to install that one? Would be interesting to see if we can come up with something brighter for everyone.

I fwd this to deAutoKey Team and they want to create a simple error free, plug and play LED trunk light for the Passat B7 that is brighter than what is out there now.

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Sportwagen (boughtback); 2014 Passat TDI SEL (boughtback)
It's not about the brilliance, it's about the PLACEMENT of the light. Down low, in the corner, even if in BOTH rear corners, is just useless the moment you place anything in the trunk.

APT

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat SEL
dekey, I do appreciate the simplicity of your improved product lighting. Not everyone is comfortable running new wires and splicing wires.

I think there is a market for a product would keep the OEM connector for the stock trunk light, some kind of splitter or pigtail lead coming out and then wires to another/more locations. Heck, even keep the OEM light just a new connector or harness for the non-electricians. Double sided tape pre-fixed, or use the existing slots in the truck deck like the bold sport.

VeeDubTDI

TDI
Location, location, location.

And it is not a B7!

LokiWolf

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL
And it is not a B7!
We are snobs here about this designation. I wholeheartedly agree with you, but Vortex, ECS Tuning , and MANY other places have propagated this designation. It is now accepted. You can correct it all you want, but until all these other places make an effort, it is going to continue. Some have even called it NA B7, and the actual B7 the ROW(Rest of World) B7.

I can speak for DeAutoKey's products and customer service. I am running their interior lights, LED DRL's, LED Front turn signals, and Keyfob covers. Had an interior bulb break, and they sent me replacements out the same day, had them in 2. Customer service was great. Try not to give them a hard time here. They are learning the rules and trying to give us a good product.

-Loki

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

VeeDubTDI

TDI
I will continue to correct the misinformation rather than accepting the inaccurate designation by people who don't care to know better. :)

tadawson

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL, 2015 Passat TDI SEL
Yup, consistently wrong does not make anything less wrong, just (apparently) popular . . Just 'aks' someone who barely speaks English for a good example . . .

- Tim

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I will continue to correct the misinformation rather than accepting the inaccurate designation by people who don't care to know better. :)
It's not just wrong, it's confusing. Lokiwolf, I'm surprised you'd defend it, as you're very particular about everything else.

They are different cars...period. There's really no way to defend an incorrect designation.

LokiWolf

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL
It's not just wrong, it's confusing. Lokiwolf, I'm surprised you'd defend it, as you're very particular about everything else.

They are different cars...period. There's really no way to defend an incorrect designation.
Not really defending it, we just need to explain it to the newcomers a little better. I have partially accepted defeat. Large outlets list it wrong, one of the biggest being Vortex. It frustrates me beyond belief, we just can't get upset at people for using the wrong designation, we have to educate them and move on.

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
...We are snobs here about this designation...Loki

I figured you agreed with VeeDub on this, but this is what bothered me. It isn't being a snob to continue to point out an error that will create confusion to some. Those of us that criticized the OEM Hankook tires were called "tire snobs".

How about a sticky in bright red stating, "Your TN-built Passat is an NMS, not a B7"?:D I bet there would be many, many members that would be surprised.

VeeDubTDI

TDI
I figured you agreed with VeeDub on this, but this is what bothered me. It isn't being a snob to continue to point out an error that will create confusion to some. Those of us that criticized the OEM Hankook tires were called "tire snobs".

How about a sticky in bright red stating, "Your TN-built Passat is an NMS, not a B7"?:D I bet there would be many, many members that would be surprised.
I could certainly add that information to the Passat FAQ thread... not sure it needs its very own sticky.

LokiWolf

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL
I could certainly add that information to the Passat FAQ thread... not sure it needs its very own sticky.
Yes, and it needs its own Sticky. That exact statement as the title. Then a more detailed explanation as above.

Sorry about the snob comment, just was feeling frustrated.

I am Definitely a tire snob! Replaced my Hancraps as quickly as I could.

VeeDubTDI

TDI
If someone wants to type up some wording about model differences and correct nomenclature, I will make it a sticky thread. Or, I can just add it to the FAQ thread that is already a sticky, although I don't think it will get as much visibility.

Suggested thread title: NMS vs B7: What's the difference?

gtodd27

TDI
2012 Passat TDI SEL
I swapped out the bulb for the LED that comes with deAutoKey B7 kit this past weekend it. It was an improvement but not quite enough. I ended up adding 6 LEDs from SuperBrightLED and wiring them in. I'll post pics later once it gets dark.

inthewoods

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SE Manual

deAutoLED.com

Vendor
TDI
2002 jetta TDI
We are snobs here about this designation. I wholeheartedly agree with you, but Vortex, ECS Tuning , and MANY other places have propagated this designation. It is now accepted. You can correct it all you want, but until all these other places make an effort, it is going to continue. Some have even called it NA B7, and the actual B7 the ROW(Rest of World) B7.

I can speak for DeAutoKey's products and customer service. I am running their interior lights, LED DRL's, LED Front turn signals, and Keyfob covers. Had an interior bulb break, and they sent me replacements out the same day, had them in 2. Customer service was great. Try not to give them a hard time here. They are learning the rules and trying to give us a good product.

-Loki

Thank you, we appreciate the kind words. We are only here posting because we think we can bring a better lighting system to everyone. We would like you to test something new we have out for the Passat B7 / NMS. Please contact us, we think you will be very happy with this new product.

We don't disagree, we think rules should be in place. Just not so strict so it can give some breathing room for the vendors who try to bring more content to the forums. :)

But, we think even you will like our new product.... Keep a look out.

Thank you

VeeDubTDI

TDI
We don't disagree, we think rules should be in place. Just not so strict so it can give some breathing room for the vendors who try to bring more content to the forums. :)

But, we think even you will like our new product.... Keep a look out.

Thank you
I wasn't talking about rules, I was talking about model nomenclature. :confused:

Anyway, looking forward to reading about your new product in the vendors forum. ;)

deAutoLED.com

Vendor
TDI
2002 jetta TDI
I wasn't talking about rules, I was talking about model nomenclature. :confused:

Anyway, looking forward to reading about your new product in the vendors forum. ;)
Sorry.
If you ever have time, you should give a quick run down on the different models and what makes each one different for everyone.

Many will appreciate it.

deAutoLED.com

Vendor
TDI
2002 jetta TDI
Great write up. BUT WAIT before you do this, we have something coming out that will be much easier, and hides much better...

Forum member: LokiWolf has gotten a sample a week ago and is testing and writing his thoughts here, we are just waiting on him:)

Once he does that, we can start a group buy on them to get the priced lower, we think this will be the best option for your trunk lighting. It will be bright, even light throughout your entire trunk with no extra wiring to install, it is a simple plug and play product.

Stay tuned.

Thank you

See post #54.
Nice, after reading that I can see why people simply say passast b7...

All our products are tested on the NMS / NA so there is no point in saying that is what it is for, plus the difference between the two does not effect what we are selling, it will still be the same. We think simply stating Passat B7 removes a lot of confusion as most people think of the NMS/NA as a b7 anyway. And we always suggest checking your lights to see what type you have prior to purchasing. With the Jetta MK6, some cars use 1156, some use 194... So it is impossible to say this is what your car will use without checking your lighting first.

Thank you

Last edited: