Oklahoma Breakfast Meet Near Tulsa?

Rickstah

Veteran Member
TDI
NB, 2002, green, Eurotek STG1
Hi all, we are trying to cook up a breakfast run to Ray_G's stomping grounds(west of Tulsa) this Saturday morning. Lightwave and I will leave OKC about 7:30 or so on Kilpatrick (I-44) and run over to Bristow area, so anyone who wants to hook up, let us know and we can run over there together. If you want to come from any surrounding area, too, that would be great. Not sure of the breakfast location yet, Ray will be working on that, but there is no lack of Greasy Spoons around, snicker, so we should do ok. Please chime in if you want to go along, more the merrier. PM if you want instructions and cell phones and such...this weekend's date is contingent on enough being able to form a "bunch" of course :)

Last edited:

Rickstah

Veteran Member
TDI
Change of plans...Ray_G is under the weather, so we will shoot for the weekend after this one coming up. This way I can at least get some wax on my car :). Get well, Ray.

Lightwave

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta GLS 2003 Reflex Silver, 2004 NB GLS Sunflower Yellow
OK... So how about breakfast at La Baguette on North May Avenue at 9:00 Saturday?

Lightwave

Veteran Member
TDI
La Baguette is at 7408 North May Avenue. It's on the northeast corner of the intersection of 73rd and May. Hope to see you there!

Rickstah

Veteran Member
TDI
Well, Lightwave and I managed to drink a gallon of coffee and eat some strange stuff, and I even got to speak with Lars on the phone (he sounded sleepy, snicker). I think we are still planning on running over toward Tulsa if Ray gets over his bubonic plague...stay tuned...you guys missed some great company today :D.

Lightwave

Veteran Member
TDI
Some thoughts on the Tulsa trip... Maybe all the OKC area folks could meet up at say... the Love's at 122nd and I-35 (this is the store that is supposed to start carrying B-20 in a couple of weeks, although supposedly it will only be available in the back where the semi's fill up.) We could each go in (one at a time) and ask the attendant about biodiesel availability, and will they have it out front where the diesel cars, pickups, and SUV's fill up. Perhaps that will get the message to them that we are here, we want the bean juice, and we would like to be able to fill up where the gassers do.
From there we could hop on to I-44 and blast up to Tulsa, or we could take a leisurely nostalgic drive up Route 66. I favor the Route 66 idea personally as I have witnessed Mini Cooper clubs, Miata clubs, and Thunderbird clubs on that road, but I am willing to be flexible. I might also suggest lunch at Kilkenny's Pub on 15th street a couple of blocks east of Peoria. Please feel free to chime in with other suggestions. I am just offering up some ideas.

Ray_G

Veteran Member
TDI
98 Jetta TDI
Ray is coming out of the limp mode, still decarbonizing the intake, but running a lot better as of yesterday. I am up to meet anywhere, I don't care. If you want to meet around Bristow I am going to have to figure out a place. If you want to meet in Tulsa it does not matter to me.
We will just have to figure out when and where.
Ray

Lightwave

Veteran Member
TDI
Glad to hear you are recovering Ray. Hope to see ya on Saturday. I sort of gathered from last Saturday's turnout that some of the OKC guys aren't really morning people, not that there's anything wrong with that. So then I thought that showing up for breakfast in Tulsa or thereabouts was pretty unlikely. That's why I suggested lunch instead. It could even be a late lunch. Here is what I am proposing, (please feel free to chime in with suggestions). How about the OKC guys meet up at the Loves at 122nd and I-35 at 10:00 or so. It's really close to the turnpike entrance if we want to go that way, or we could drive up I-35 a few miles and take Route 66. It doesn't really matter to me. We could then meet up with Ray at his place or in Bristow somewhere and then head to Tulsa for lunch. I suggested Kilkenny's Pub earlier, but I'm open to suggestion on that one too. I like the place because the food has always been good and they have a large and varied menu. Let me know what you think...:rolleyes:

Last edited:

Rickstah

Veteran Member
TDI
:cool: (stumbles into the thread, trying to inject coffee into his veins)

I think I am up for that...need to make sure the boy has a ride to his Saturday thing is all...the last time I rode that Route 66 way was on a motorpickle many years ago...is it scenic, and what is the speed limit? :D

Lightwave

Veteran Member
TDI
Rickstah said:
:cool: (stumbles into the thread, trying to inject coffee into his veins)

I think I am up for that...need to make sure the boy has a ride to his Saturday thing is all...the last time I rode that Route 66 way was on a motorpickle many years ago...is it scenic, and what is the speed limit? :D
I suppose you could call it scenic, but I suppose that is pretty much subjective. The speed limit is 65 in most places, 55 in some, and of course you have to slow down when you go through the towns, some of which have some interesting murals on the sides of buildings, so I guess you could call that scenic. I think it would probably take 20 or 30 minutes longer to go up Route 66, than to take the turnpike. I can go either way. If someone is under some time contraints, I would be willing to take the turnpike. If someone wants to take the leisurely, nostalgic route, I'm up for that as well.:D

Lightwave

Veteran Member
TDI
The weather forecast is predicting freezing rain, sleet and snow for Saturday.:( Perhaps we should postpone this GTG for another week. My car has ESP, but I'm not really up for driving 200 miles on ice.:eek:

Ray_G

Veteran Member
TDI
98 Jetta TDI
Sounds like a plan to me, my wife has managed to pick up the plague from me and is not feeling well. The only problem for me is that I am planning on entering a 5 mile trail run in the morning of the 25th, could do lunch that day though. :D
Ray

Rickstah

Veteran Member
TDI
That sounds ok, there's a guy interest in my Jeep so I need to try and do some work on it...although if it's gonna be cold like this all weekend I may postpone the work!! :eek:

Roger, I filled up at CL yesterday, and on the way out I glanced at the receipt...you know how they break out the price of the fuel from the taxes...well I saw that I was getting the good stuff for 1.92 per gallon and I nearly started whooping in the parking lot...actually went to call you before I moved my thumb and went "oh...taxes...dang.."

Rickstah

Veteran Member
TDI
(looks outside at all the ice and snow and high wind)...well, they got it right...at least we'll get some moisture out of this, but this oatmeal certainly doesn't feel as exotic as something from Kilkenny's :D

Lightwave

Veteran Member
TDI
I just got a PM from PassatWaggin. Maybe he will join us on Saturday. Is anyone else planning on joining us? Is it OK with everyone to meet at the Loves at 122nd and I-35 at 10:00 and head to Tulsa from there? If anyone has any other suggestions, please chime in soon.

Rickstah

Veteran Member
TDI
I've made plans to go, Lightwave, but my son has a concert at 4 PM in Edmond so I need to make it a quick breakfast, snicker. Ray, everyone healed up over there? Did you dig up a place to eat or should we stick with Kilkenny's? If it was warmer I'd drag my boat over there to your house :D ...wait...that means I couldn't bring the Jetta...never mind!

I'll PM my cell phone to youse guys...Roger, you may already have it. Hope others can go.

Lightwave

Veteran Member
TDI
Rickstah,
I'm planning to go. I guess we can plan on meeting at the Love's at 122nd and I-35 at 10:00 in the morning and go from there. I haven't heard any suggestions for alternate locations from anyone. I can be flexible as far as schedules go. Seeya in the morning.

Rickstah

Veteran Member
TDI
Awright, final plans...we'll meet at the Love's at ten, and then drive over to the Tulsa fairgrounds where Ray_G will meet us and we will search for hidden treasures and stuff ourselves on pizza and/or Mexican food, and ooh and ahh over Ray's ultimate Passat of course :D . Any last minute attendees, I'll check back in the morning on PM if you need cell phone info, so get in touch, see ya...i'm bringin the vid cam so we can do some smoky burnouts in the parking lot :p

Rickstah

Veteran Member
TDI
Welllllllllllll, there weren't a ton of us, but we were high quality!! :D Ray_G and spouse showed up in their Passat with a lot, Lightwave and spouse showed up in their Bora with some mora, and yours truly showed up in Christine...I mean my Jetta you betta...ok that was pitiful....skipping right along...

A great time was had by all, we confabbed, cruised the fairgrounds, stuffed ourselves at a fine Irish pu...er...eatery, and then we parted ways, new friends firmly in mind. Pics below. Many things were learned...for example, Ray and Lightwave are tall dudes...I had a crick in my neck from talking to them! Ray has some hush hush job that requires him to travel about the country on the qt...he couldn't talk about it too much since Lightwave and I were civilians :cool: ...Lightwave...well, let's put it this way...pay attention to your speedo when you are following Lightwave, because HE DOESN"T! :eek:

http://rushingaround.net/tdi/gtg_tulsa/gtg_tulsa.htm

Lightwave

Veteran Member
TDI
Rickstah said:
pay attention to your speedo when you are following Lightwave, because HE DOESN"T! :eek:
I'll try to keep it under 100 mph next time (snicker). Maybe I can figure out how to use this newfangled cruise control thingamabob...;)

dantheswim

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 2001, White

I'm new to the area and will only be here for a short time (job training) but I'm sorry I missed the drive to Tulsa. Maybe I can make the trip next time...

PS--anywhere to get bio around OKC ?!