Used VW Pricing.....

scrambld

Veteran Member
TDI
'06 Jetta...TDI/5spd :) >>>now a '15 Passat TDI/DSG
Ok, maybe I am wrong here but.....? Looking at used VW TDI's. Found some local to me at a dealership in RI. Asking prices run higher than MSRP (2015 or example). I That the norm? Was told by said dealership that those are buyback prices. I said, excuse me, I am me and not VW buy-back.......I won't pay above book (or 2015 MSRP) for a 2 year old "used" car......is that the norm or is the dealership hosing people?

Powder Hound

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'00 Golf 4dr White 5sp, '02 Jettachero 5sp, Wife's '03 NB Platinum Gray auto(!)
Yes, the dealer's hosing you. No worries, just be patient. Used car prices, even TDIs have taken a dive lately. This situation will still be in flux for a while. A dealer is going to do things like this because... well, because they're a dealer. They will take advantage of the situation whenever possible because generally they have to so that they can stay in business. You gotta make money when you can.

Besides, the situation isn't going to be different anywhere else. If you had one, and someone wanted to buy it from you, and you could get a nice price from VW, would you sell it for less because the other buyer isn't VW?

'This type situation is probably going to be this way until the buyouts are all handled and VW has finished their 'repentance' giving people something for nothing.

If you really want a deal, look at ALH VWs. Those have tanked, and they're still great cars. You'd probably want to know how to turn a wrench, but there's real opportunities there.

Cheers,

PH

scrambld

Veteran Member
TDI
Yeah, I pretty much gathered there was some hosing going on.

I told this dealer he can keep these cars (3 advertised presently) as nobody is going to pay 30K for a 2year old car....that wasn't even stickered that much when it was new! Cars generally DEpreciate with age......until they become classics.... :D

I told them VW has two options with the bought back cars....do the fix and then flood the market....which is good for buyers OR send them to the crusher <<<< I don't see that happening.

I also understand someone selling a "naughty" TDI as I have looked at some. I asked what the VW buy back offer was. I obviously had to tell them to take the buy back because nobody would be willing to pay above book......just my opinion on that.

Trust me, I love my '06 BRM jetta (tuned/clutch/turbo) and I am still wanting another....well, a Passat this time. I'll have patience.....my '06 mechanically is fine......it's the dreaded front fender rust and trunk lid rust, which I know can easily be repaired/replaced.

Wrenches.....I know my way around a tool or two ;)

S2000_guy

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Sportwagen TDI
Any item for sale is worth exactly what someone is willing to pay for it. If VW is willing to pay more than you are, the value of the car is the VW price.

When new, popular, limited-production models first appear at the dealerships, they frequently sell for thousands over MSRP because there are people that will pay that much to have the latest, greatest.

It's not a conspiracy; it's not a hosing. It is the way a market works.

scrambld

Veteran Member
TDI
OK, sure I agree with that......that was how it went down with the Viper and cars of that nature.

....This is a mass produced Passat TDI.....pretty much apples and oranges. I know VW HAD to offer a buy-back (some people or people thinking for people didn't want you to HAVE to own a car from such a "naughty" company so the option to buy back was put on the table)....the buy back plus any grievance monies are added in I understand. Personally in this case I can't see anyone wanting to pay above new car pricing...two years later for a used Passat TDI. More so when there most likely will be a flood of used TDI's from VW once the fix has been applied to the hundreds of bought backs...then what happens to that over priced used car you just bought? IDK, that's just my logic on this.......

:DDisclaimer: The word "naughty" was used as sarcasm. VW is not the 1st auto/engine maker to be caught.....and evidently not the last.

2015vwgolfdiesel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 VW Golf S DSG Silver
Yes, the dealer's hosing you. No worries, just be patient. Used car prices, even TDIs have taken a dive lately.

According to KBB my 2015 TDi DSG Golf has gone up (to) > $24,000

Besides, the situation isn't going to be different anywhere else. If you had one, and someone wanted to buy it from you,

and you could get a nice price from VW, would you sell it for less because the other buyer isn't VW?

Mine is offered for sale at full bore VW BB amount. with OBO ~~ had one offer at $22,000 ~~ and 5 lowballs

All this in 2.5 days

This type situation is probably going to be this way until the buyouts are all handled and VW has finished

their 'repentance' giving people something for nothing.

I personally would NOT call dieselgate nothing

Regarding the future resale value of TDI, who can say

Remember if the car gets a fix, it has the warranty that is over the moon for the currant owner and ALL future owners

2015vwgolfdiesel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Any item for sale is worth exactly what someone is willing to pay for it. If VW is willing to pay more than you are, the value of the car is the VW price.

When new, popular, limited-production models first appear at the dealerships, they frequently sell for thousands over MSRP because there are people that will pay that much to have the latest, greatest.

It's not a conspiracy; it's not a hosing. It is the way a market works.
I *value* my 2015 TDi DSG SILVER GOLF exactly $25.625 (OBO)

Most likely no one is going to pony up.

But no worries ~~~ VW WILL pay $25,625:D:D:D

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
OK, sure I agree with that......that was how it went down with the Viper and cars of that nature.

....This WAS a mass produced Passat TDI.....pretty much apples and oranges.....
Fixed that for you. The value is whatever the market is willing to pay. Since this is now a forbidden fruit, and claerly people still want them, there will be some high prices.

My friend sold his diesel Isuzu Trooper for $2k over what it sold for new... and it was 20 years old at the time. A half dozen bidders on the auction site he used bid it up very quickly, and the winner was tickled pink to buy it. :cool:

2015vwgolfdiesel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Ok, maybe I am wrong here but.....? Looking at used VW TDI's. Found some local to me at a dealership in RI. Asking prices run higher than MSRP (2015 or example). I That the norm? Was told by said dealership that those are buyback prices. I said, excuse me, I am me and not VW buy-back.......I won't pay above book (or 2015 MSRP) for a 2 year old "used" car......is that the norm or is the dealership hosing people?
Keep in mind, nothing rolls with out a "cash buyer" ~~ Not dealers nor individuals will ever get the full bore VW buyback FINANCED for a new owner.

..... well maybe if there is a 35-50% downstroke

..... I just can't see many individual buyers willing to pay VW BB prices.

2015vwgolfdiesel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Fixed that for you. The value is whatever the market is willing to pay. Since this is now a forbidden fruit, and claerly people still want them, there will be some high prices.
My friend sold his diesel Isuzu Trooper for $2k over what it sold for new... and it was 20 years old at the time. A half dozen bidders on the auction site he used bid it up very quickly, and the winner was tickled pink to buy it. :cool:
Fair point

Hope to find a similar buyer for mine

Truth is, Clean, low mileage, used VW TDi units are a little rare.