Best turbo for 350/400HP 1.9 TDI PD

Which turbo to choose for 400HP in the 1.9TDI PD

• Garrett GT2359V (from Mercedes E320CDI)

Votes: 1 3.0%
  • Garrett GTB2260VK

Votes: 3 9.1%
  • Garrett GTB2260VKLR (Ball Bearing Turbo)

Votes: 4 12.1%
  • Garrett GTB2566VK

Votes: 7 21.2%
  • Borg Wagner S356

Votes: 6 18.2%
  • GTB3576KLNRV

Votes: 7 21.2%
  • Other? (Which One?)

Votes: 5 15.2%

• Total voters

Turbo Z

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi A2 mercedes c270
Yucca please try them out, I can think of no better car that will show really how good this R2S and R3S can work, but still it is not that state of the art turbo they use so it can be done quite a lot better. I am not a big fan of BMW cars but I do like there performance diesel engines characteristics like 535d and 550D specially the new quad turbo.

I can say 600+Hp diesel with bottom response can be done but is for sure not cheep and takes more work then first come to your mind...

so I totally agree with you it is not for beginners to start putting turbochargers together..

BR

DCautosport

TDI
Seat Leon FR 1.9 150cv TDI
Yucca please try them out, I can think of no better car that will show really how good this R2S and R3S can work, but still it is not that state of the art turbo they use so it can be done quite a lot better. I am not a big fan of BMW cars but I do like there performance diesel engines characteristics like 535d and 550D specially the new quad turbo.

I can say 600+Hp diesel with bottom response can be done but is for sure not cheep and takes more work then first come to your mind...

so I totally agree with you it is not for beginners to start putting turbochargers together..

BR
I really like this idea ... or r2s turbo or turbo bw S200V .... the 2 ideas seem to me quite good !!! But I think that the R2s turbos will not handle 3 bars of turbo pressure ... and from what they say here in the forum these BW S200V are able to do without problems 4 bars of turbo pressure :eek::eek::eek: ... that would be a monstrosity. .. allied to a injector nozzles of 160% or 180% would surely be something very strong for sure ......;):D

Yucca

Veteran Member
TDI
ALH 388bhp, Polo 6R 2.0TDI CR GTC1752VZ
Compond turbos is not new idea in finnish 1.9TDI scene. We have had compounds before this "big VNT" -thing. Big VNT like S356V, S200V hybrids, GTB3576KLNRV etc...

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
Those setups are also too hard to build by beginners.
well
Anything relating to 200hp/liter out of a lightly built diesel is not easy for beginners.

if anything I'd say cutting the valve reliefs to fit a camshaft that'll spool a big single is a bit more involved than sizing compounds
manifolds and plumbing is just that, it's easier to look professional if you can tig aluminum, but if you can't then just use old exhaust pipe and MIG

mrchill

TDIClub Enthusiast, Super Secret Diesel Ninja Vend
MASS! home of THE WORLD SERIES CHAMPION RED SOX! x
TDI
96 B4v red \ 98 Mk3 green\98 Mk3 Jetta black\ 99 Mk4 Jetta green x2\ 99 Mk4 Golf silver x2\ 99 Mk4 Jetta black\ 97 B4 sedan green\04 JSW gold\03 JSW silver
That one is nice...but still not very compact. There are a couple that are more compact...but still need fab work.

Turbo Z

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi A2 mercedes c270
Waiting for the Fins to see what way they go for the biturbo setup.

Is this a bad idea? The setup from 313 bitdi
since it come from a V6 engine fitting to I engine will not be optimal regarding place, special in a small car.
Do you know Indusor and exdusor size for LP HP compressor and turbine?

R2S turbo from 535D is skit turbo 286HP, HP shaft breaks easy, and not special impressive when you very often hear BZZZ sound of imbalance probably from LP turbo, just to a have a bunch of them.

There are R2S system that can generate well over 3 bars of boost even 4 bars as standard depending where it come from. even titanium wheels exist and ballbearing as well.

Boyka

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi a4 avant 3.0 tdi Remap
It must be impressive to mount the bitdi turbos in a 1.9 pd

DCautosport

TDI
I run a 56mm holset on my car don't know hp yet but video in my sig
But tell me ... holset NOT a turbo with vnt ... am I right ???
How do they get it to work fine, and open in a tdi engine ??
To open a turbo of these, it takes many exhaust gases, impossible to reach in 1.9 tdi or am I wrong ???
Here everyone only uses turbos with vnt ...

BigTurboAlh

Veteran Member
TDI
06 ranger cjaa swap
It's non vnt and everyone thinks it's impossible but it's way easier than using a vnt. Less moving parts to fail. And most people say you'll never be able to stay on top of them. You just gotta know how to drive. I have a stock one I drive everyday for mileage and my holset makes it up hills easier.

DCautosport

TDI
It's non vnt and everyone thinks it's impossible but it's way easier than using a vnt. Less moving parts to fail. And most people say you'll never be able to stay on top of them. You just gotta know how to drive. I have a stock one I drive everyday for mileage and my holset makes it up hills easier.
Seriously??? :eek::eek::eek:
How is that possible? Or how can you do that ??? :confused:

DCautosport

TDI
I would be ashamed to go around with that much smoke.
Ahahah... :D:D:D
Here in Portugal so it would be very embarrassed :p .... all the diesel cars of people racing make a lot of smoke ... ahah :D
In the drag racing championship it's just smoke ... :eek::eek::eek:
Then we still have the cars prepared to do a lot of top speed ... that they all smoke too ... not so much but they also do a little ...

see... all cars here do this smoke.... ok... maybe a little less...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d8SlTqxpLaM

Last edited:

Macradiators.com

Veteran Member
TDI
2.0 CR 360hp
Yes on the drag event, but for a daily driver is just lack of common sense imo.
I think many tuners should learn how to make less smoke and be proud of an almost smokeless tune.
But maybe im just crazy asking too much.

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
ehhhh

going to have lots of white smoke when warming up from lowered compression, unavoidable, and the black can be curtailed but you can gain a significant amount of scoot going from a clean burning AFR to a moderately smoky one, not to mention how quick and early it'll spool

you get over looking like a douche brodozer, over time

Turbo Z

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi A2 mercedes c270
Yes on the drag event, but for a daily driver is just lack of common sense imo.
I think many tuners should learn how to make less smoke and be proud of an almost smokeless tune.
But maybe im just crazy asking too much.
Totally agree with you!

jabcok20

Veteran Member
TDI
golf mk1
I got GTB3576klnrv 53mm full power from 3500-3700 on 3rd gear. On hy35 what rpm full power (3rd gear ).

Yucca

Veteran Member
TDI
MikkoP tested S356V surge limit with 1.9TDI ALH. 3.6bar and 3400rpm without surge.

TeroP tested GTB3576KLNR (50mm version) surge limit with 1.9TDI PD, 3bar and 2700rpm without surge.

Those numbers need very good ported head and right cam for setup.

Last edited:

TDIMeister

Phd of TDIClub Enthusiast, Moderator at Large
TDI
TDI
Either would be a better match within a 2-stage setup. The kind of power level targeted in a 1.9 TDI pretty much demands it so that you won't have a 1000-2000 RPM powerband.

diffas

Veteran Member
TDI
B5q A4 Avant 2.5TDi+, B7q A4 Avant 3.0TDi
Sure in rev range 1000-2000rpm is good to have trancient on daily driven. But usually its sacrificed to have high power on high revs. Having good power from 2500 to 6000rpm makes you forgot lower revs. :p

mk1-83

Veteran Member
TDI
LUPO 1.9 tdi 300+ hp
im bussy with amr500 compressor for low rpm its drive by magnet clucth airco, dynamo with long axle one side the altenarot belt and orther side the clucht control by EGR map so can switch off and on at rpm-mg

amr500 and s200v

TDIMeister

Phd of TDIClub Enthusiast, Moderator at Large
TDI
TDI
Sure in rev range 1000-2000rpm is good to have trancient on daily driven. But usually its sacrificed to have high power on high revs. Having good power from 2500 to 6000rpm makes you forgot lower revs. :p
I am not talking about 1000-2000rpm as absolute values, I'm taking about the useful powerband range from surge limited max boost pressure to peak power RPM, eg 3700-4700=1000, 3400-5400=2000.

I have not seen any 8V PDs make big power at 6000 RPM. By this I mean not exhibit an HP drop off starting at 4500-4700 RPM. If I have missed this - if anyone it's the Finns who would have achieved it - let's please see some dynos. :)

diffas

Veteran Member
TDI
B5q A4 Avant 2.5TDi+, B7q A4 Avant 3.0TDi
I think TeroP had high reving PD, dont't have the dynosheet to give atm. Atleast past 5500 it was revving fine. It's about how fast max. HP is dropping. If you have 350hp @ 4500rpm and 340 @ 5500rpm, thats not bad even the curve is going down. I wouldn't call 1.9pd widebanded as stock, not far from 2000rpm. :p

Yucca

Veteran Member
TDI