Turbo options on a CR (CJAA)

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI
2013 JSW, 2003 Jetta Ute, 2 x 2002 Golf, 2000 Golf
Just wondering what other turbos other TDIclub members have on their CR, besides stock (CR140) and the CR170. I'm looking into a turbo upgrade, and originally had my heart set on the 2260, but I'm not sure if that's best suited for my needs.

Oh, and please - if you want to tell me how I should "sell back my car to VW," well, there's other threads about that. So take those comments elsewhere. :)

Odracir

TDI
Golf4
Like you said depend of your needs, but if you already choose and want a 2260, try to find a GTB2260VKLR and i think you will not be disapointed.
I know some 1.9PD engines with 2260 reaching 300/320hp, in your case if you have a 2.0CR shouldn't be a problem to reach that kind of hp.

Last edited:

mrchill

TDIClub Enthusiast, Super Secret Diesel Ninja Vend
MASS! home of THE WORLD SERIES CHAMPION RED SOX! x
TDI
96 B4v red \ 98 Mk3 green\98 Mk3 Jetta black\ 99 Mk4 Jetta green x2\ 99 Mk4 Golf silver x2\ 99 Mk4 Jetta black\ 97 B4 sedan green\04 JSW gold\03 JSW silver
What is your ultimate goal? A regular upgrade (cr170) will get you to and over 200hp. If you want airflow for a comfortable 250 hp, a 1756vk(lr) is more than enough. A 2260(vk\lr) is also possible, but there is currently no real fueling available to properly exploit such a large turbo. Until there is, there is no sense in it. Besides...taht6 a 300 hp turbo, so if this isnt your goal, its really isnt necessary. I have installed many oversized turbos....so far, after the cr170, the 1756 works the best on these.

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI
220-240-ish HP would be perfect. I'm not running on a track, and there's no reason for me to push the CJAA that far. I do like the CR170, though. Cost-wise, I wonder what the difference is on the 1756 vs the 2260.

Also, has anyone installed Malone's new Stage 4 manifold?

intaketommy

TDI
VW Polo PD130
Well, for 230hp a GTB2260VK(LR) is a heavy overkill ;)

GTB1756VK is a good choice for this power level. If you want more low end torque and faster transient response, a GTD1752VRK is even better.

travis45

Veteran Member
TDI
14 Sportwagen, 96 Passat TDI Sedan
I'm enjoying my CR 170. But now I'm wondering what the maximum I can safely get out of it. Considering water methanol injection....

Savageman69

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2012 Highline Touareg TDI
Ran a cr170 with an aggressive 3.6 tune and honestly loved it...pretty quick and i mean i paid 400 for the turbo on ebay.uk. Turbo still givin her and its gotta have 70k on it. Bang for the buck best way to go.

Rhino1829

TDI
2012 Golf Tdi 4dr m/t
As mrchill stated, what's your goal, but also what's your budget? That is going to be where you want to start making your plan. If you're looking for a daily driver that still has plenty of torque around 2k rpm, just do the cr170 with an aggressive tune. I have seen a few folks on the VW TDI owners group on Facebook making mention of a hybrid cr170 and a JR Auto tune with some nice results.

I went with a Mercedes gtb2060vklr. I decided on this over a 2260 as I didn't want to go too nuts as the car is my daily, plus I wanted something different. I will be very honest though, I had to re-learn the best rpm's to shift, and there is no low-end torque like the stock turbo. It only starts building boost around 2200 RPM. So no more granny shifting at 2k. But run it to 3k or higher and she hauls. Mine is also watercooled, so that opens up another debate/decision of the vklr's need water cooling or not.

There is a fairly large cost difference. And you'll run into that cost difference with almost all the gtb setups you explore unless you can find a good price on something used. But also factor in the supporting mods to your cost as well

As another mentioned, fueling will be your next "issue", so I hope you have plans for a cp3 hpfp. Also depending on how big you go the stock injectors will be maxed and there's not anything proven as an option for larger injectors. I know Les mentioned he was testing some that were bigger but don't know how things turned out.

Owain@malonetuning

Associate Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
PD jetta wagon
Already has a CR170, he's just getting antsy for the stage 4 kit :p

Always a better idea to get tunes made by someone on this side of the pond, JR just redistributes for mega speed in Germany.

Rhino1829

TDI
2012 Golf Tdi 4dr m/t
Already has a CR170, he's just getting antsy for the stage 4 kit :p

Always a better idea to get tunes made by someone on this side of the pond, JR just redistributes for mega speed in Germany.
Didn't realize he already has the 170 on already! And certainly agree on tunes from this side of the pond. That's why I run your tune vs. someone else's :)

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI
Yup, I've had the CR170 on it for about 31K now. I don't know if I'd say it's my daily driver. It was after I got the CR170, but I liked driving the Golf more (mostly because I prefer driving a manual a lot more). Now, I'm trying to balance out both equally.

As for shifting - I'm finding I don't really have a lot of power unless I'm over 2200 RPM anyways. As nice as the 2260 sounds, that might be too much for what I'm trying to accomplish.

My tuner and others actually suggested doing the CP3 route first, and then upgrade the turbo from there, which is probably what I'll do. I don't technically need to change the TB until about 220K (which is 30K away), but I'd rather be on the same 100K intervals as my mk4's.

@Owain - what are the turbo options available right now for the Stage 4 tune/manifold?

Owain@malonetuning

Associate Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
PD jetta wagon
We're up in the air about options other than the 2260. Big factor there will be price and availability, likely going for a 2056 or 1756, leaning 1756 but we'll play around with a few other turbos first. 1756 isn't too far up from a CR170 and 2056 isn't too far down from a 2260, priority #1 is getting the 2260s on the market. Need some custom parts for clearance/stock replacement option, so we want to keep manufacturing investment down while providing kits as soon as possible, which is why we're focusing on one turbo option first.

Last edited:

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI
What are the max HP/torque that the 1756 is capable of putting out on this motor? Would the cost differential of the turbo itself be significant? I noticed the 2260 isn't that much, but I would guess that's to boost sales in our post-dieselgate upgrade economy. :-/

FRtdilover

TDI
2001 4motion ARL 150
I went with a Mercedes gtb2060vklr. I decided on this over a 2260 as I didn't want to go too nuts as the car is my daily, plus I wanted something different. I will be very honest though, I had to re-learn the best rpm's to shift, and there is no low-end torque like the stock turbo. It only starts building boost around 2200 RPM. So no more granny shifting at 2k. But run it to 3k or higher and she hauls. Mine is also watercooled, so that opens up another debate/decision of the vklr's need water cooling or not.

Is it the best low end result you can have with the tune ? I'm suprised and a bit disapointed as I wanted to get this turbo in order to have a setup capable up to 250hp but with a good low end response and transcient response.

mrchill

TDIClub Enthusiast, Super Secret Diesel Ninja Vend
MASS! home of THE WORLD SERIES CHAMPION RED SOX! x
TDI
96 B4v red \ 98 Mk3 green\98 Mk3 Jetta black\ 99 Mk4 Jetta green x2\ 99 Mk4 Golf silver x2\ 99 Mk4 Jetta black\ 97 B4 sedan green\04 JSW gold\03 JSW silver
Again... turbo doesnt add any power on its own. The air needs fuel. There is currently not enough fuel for any of the big turbos. There is enough that they work...and the cars drive, but nowhere near the potential of the turbo. That being said, a smaller turbo is more than enough right now. Larger than 1756 and there is no advantage at all...in fact, a cr170 may be the practical limit as the response is way better and the power is the same as the other turbos(without external fuel adders).

Macradiators.com

Veteran Member
TDI
2.0 CR 360hp
Well stock hpfp can supply enough fuel for 260-270 it seems, stock R40 pump gave 295 on VVT dyno in Holland (dont know if dyno is very optimistic or not, or how real numbers are).

With 2260 you have to wait for it to come ..then it takes off till redline, i myself hate the waiting so a BI compound will be in plan soon.

hatemi

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi A6 4F 3.0TDI
If you dont have proper boost and torque with 2060vklr from lets say 1800rpm, then you have something wrong with your mechanical setup or tune. Those spool fast even on ALH.

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI
...in fact, a cr170 may be the practical limit as the response is way better and the power is the same as the other turbos(without external fuel adders).
I don't know if it's just me, but here in New England (where I'm traveling), I feel like boost really kicks in after about 2100/2200. The response is otherwise pretty good. With that said, would it be unreasonable to get another 20-30HP out of the CR170 (say topping out at 220-230HP) without creating too much of a lag?

My other consideration when/if I upgrade is reducing EGTs.