99.5 clutch went 279000 mi.

memphis tdi

Veteran Member
TDI
1999.5 Jetta TDI
With all the discussion about clutches, thought I would share my experience with the factory 99.5 clutch.

The factory dmf finally broke last Thursday at 279000 mi. but was holding up great with RC3, PP520s and VNT17.

The disk and pressure plate look like they would have gone another 50000.

Is it normal for these early clutches to handle this much power ?

Is the 99.5 clutch kit still available ?, if so it would be a good option for mild later cars.

atownbrg

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI 5 speed
memphistdi,
What is the build date of your car? Mine was built in 8/99 but was sold as a MY2000
I have wondered before if I might have one of the stronger clutches myself. I've got 170K on my car

turbocharged798

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 black ALH Jetta;09 Gasser Jetta
Mine didn't even make 200K before the dmf bit the dust. Clutch looked like brand new but the DMF was toast. I hate DMFs.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
I had the original LUK in my first '99.5 when it was making 145/270 on a conservative dyno. Did a lot of track days with the car, never slipped.

I just replaced the clutch on my current '99.5 at 250K miles, even though it was working fine. However, my guru said that the clutch was done, the disc was down to the wear marks. The flywheel would rattle occasionally, and I could make it shudder on hard acceleration in an upper gear. This is with RC3, everything else stock.

The '99.5 LUK clutches were pretty nice, and are no longer available. I have a new in box one from VW in my garage if I want another in a TDI in the future. Last one we had. The newer ones in the yellow boxes are also very smooth, but don't hold the power that the early ones did.

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
my stock sachs kit with a hooptie relined disc was doing pretty good, until it wasn't

disc still looks good but the DMF and PP have some hot spots

memphis tdi

Veteran Member
TDI
1999.5 Jetta TDI
I bought the car with 155000 and all service records, put in the injectors within weeks of purchase, then RC3 and I could chatter the clutch at first if I got in it at less than 2000rpm, then the chatter went away, installed the vnt17 just before Christmas, clutch never slipped but last Thursday the DMF started knocking at 279k.

Build date 12/98

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
what exactly is a 99.5 car?
VW built both A3 and A4 platform cars in '99. They introduced the A4 Jetta and Golf mid-year, making them '99.5s. They did the same thing with the Passat refresh in '01, going from a B5 to a B5.5 car in 2001.5.

The '99.5s, along with the '98 and '99 New Beetle, which are the first of the A4s, have some unique features including a different clutch and flywheel.

atownbrg

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI 5 speed
IBW
Thanks for that explanation, I would imagine then that most A4 cars that are of the 99.5 MY then would have a build date in'98.
My car probably doesn't have the early stronger clutch then that I was hoping!

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
They do. My '99.5 was built in September of '98. I think it's a pretty early one, however.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
And to add to the confusion, there are early and late '99.5 cars. :p A few things changed seemingly month to month.

They did the same thing with the Audi A4 in 2002.

Here is a fun one for ya: first three months of the 1983 Vanagon had a 2.0L air-cooled engine with a 228mm clutch. Middle three months had a 1.9L waterboxer with a 215mm clutch. Last three months had the waterboxer with the 228mm clutch. :rolleyes:

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
'98 New Beetles are still the most confusing of the TDIs, at least for us. Some of the early '98s have A3 alternators.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
I have seen more of the Luk DMFs have catastrophic failures than the Sachs DMFs, though. As in, holes blown through the sides and cracked bellhousing levels of catastrophic. So they may have been able to hold more power, but when they go, they really go. Usually the Sachs ones just vibrate really bad.

I am honestly amazed they hold up as well as they do on the TDIs, as my first exposure to them was on the early 1.8t engines, which were just in Audi A4s in this country, 1996+. When they announced the new-for-1998 ALH TDI was getting them in the early months of 1997, I had probably already replaced a half dozen blown up DMFs in 1.8t cars already. Of course, at that same announcement they also said the new ALH was going to be bolted to the 01M, and about half the class fell out of their chairs laughing, since we had ALL long since lost count of how many 095/096/01M junk transmissions we'd R&R'd in the gassers already. So the thought of a DMF with a diesel seemed almost trivial in comparison.

Seriously, the instructor's exact words when discussing the 1998 New Beetle in the new model class was "Now I know you'll all just love this..." when he got ready to tell us about the 01M option. :p

white95v6

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 jetta 5spd tdi 2003 jetta jw 5spd tdi
My 99 Jettas stock clutch went 200k....I got my 2003 with 160k I am assuming it had stock clutch. And it lasted till 296k.

BIGGREEK

TDI
MK4 ALH
i replaced my clutch on my 2000 jetta at 340k miles when i upgraded to the ClutchMasters Stage 3. Factory clutch had plenty of life left.

durbo

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 Jetta 260k........ 2000 golf 2 door 100k.
I had 270,000 on my 1999.5 clutch with dlc520's and malone tuning before I sold it. Still holding up....

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
I just replaced my '11 Sachs clutch at 145k miles. Plenty of friction material left, and the flywheel and pressure plate looked great, but it just wasn't holding the 350+ lb-ft from my Malone stage 3.5 tune any longer.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
OE flywheel and clutch came out of my son's '02 Golf last week. Flywheel was broken and jammed. The flywheel side of the clutch disc was in the wear marks. The pressure plate side was through the wear marks and almost to the rivets. I think we were on borrowed time. 329K.

pdq import repair

Veteran Member
TDI
09 Jetta
The clutch in my 95.5 S6 is at 290K and counting. It is a solid flywheel so that shouldn't go bad. Seems older clutches went further and were definitely smoother as they still contained asbestos blends. In the nineties all manufacturers starting phasing out asbestos in cars, some even advertised that fact to look "green". I noticed the clutches getting grabbier and less linear as that happened also.

mgoff5000

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta, 2004 Passat (RIP)
My 99.5 was made in June of 99, IIRC that makes it one of the last :eek:
Too bad about the good Luk clutches being NLA. Mine got swapped to a SMF almost 100k miles ago :eek:
-J
Are the 99.5 cars labeled as MY 1999 then? Is there a month cutoff for the 99.5 and associated Luk clutch? I'm trying to figure what I've got in my 2000 Jetta manufactured in 10.99 per the door panel tag. Made in Mexico.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
I happen to have a new VW boxed LUK kit in my garage. :). Last one of a batch we got to sell a couple years ago.

pdq import repair

Veteran Member
TDI
09 Jetta
Are the 99.5 cars labeled as MY 1999 then? Is there a month cutoff for the 99.5 and associated Luk clutch? I'm trying to figure what I've got in my 2000 Jetta manufactured in 10.99 per the door panel tag. Made in Mexico.
Confusing, but here is how it is. The next model year normally happens after August. So in theory a car with a build date of Sept should be the next year model and usually is.

There can be and is many times in VW a mid year switch which can actually happen in the early months of the model year. In some cases it is a major change including body and powerplants, but it still remains that model year car.

I seem to gravitate towards mid year models as I have owned a 95.5, a 99, and an early 05. I don't look for them specifically but that is what I end up with.

The real test of what model year the car is called is answered on the underhood emissions sticker. it will say "vehicle conforms to model year _ emmisions, it might further state Kalifornia or high altitude, but that is the official model year.

They can make part change upgrades at any time in any year, not always split year models, so build date and VIN can be critical in ordering parts for any car.

Your car built in 10 of 99 would most likely be licensed as a 2000, but again VIN number is the deciding factor. In those years they were bouncing around a little on clutch sizes and some cars got upgraded at the dealership under warranty. Call the dealer with your vin and they can sort through it all.

mgoff5000

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta, 2004 Passat (RIP)
pdg - thanks I checked the emissions sticker and, just like the registration, it's a 2000 MY. I may try the dealer, maybe the parts guys will get interested enough to check. Sorta doubtful but if anyone can find out they probably can.

IBW - it seems you have several potential cars for the Luk, but if it becomes orphaned let me know. I haven't looked into the clutch job but assuming I'm doing it sooner or later if I get tuned. I've only got 136k on the car so probably plenty of life if I drive as is.

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
... None :S
Are the 99.5 cars labeled as MY 1999 then?
Confusing, but here is how it is. ... answered on the underhood emissions sticker. it will say "vehicle conforms to model year _ emissions, it might further state Kalifornia or high altitude, but that is the official model year.
Just what I was going to say :) Ours is titled as a "1999 New Jetta".

As far as I know, the easy way to tell is to look at the shifter counterweight. If it's black, and bolted onto the shift mechanism the car is a 99.5, and has the LUK clutch.

-J