Turbo suggestions needed, ALH

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Shame that TDIs were not around back then, as there were loads of blown up 3.0L V6 trucks that could have been snagged cheap that would have been excellent swap candidates. Man that was a junk head gasket blowing engine that was barely more powerful than the 22RE.

They made that 3.0L the lone engine for the T100 when they came out, too! LMAO!!! The 3.4L was much, much better.

john.jackson9213

Top Post Dawg
TDI
1996 B4V
Another good turbo option is a gtb1756vk. I'd suggest reading through the truck build threads. Lots of info. There's a tdi swapped trucks Facebook page as well. I'm swapping an alh into my xj :D
I am doing (or actually have a shop doing) an AHU swap into a 1986 Jeep Comanche pickup. Once we have all the engine sway details resolved and the TDI conversion running properly - I will be getting another GTC1549VZ turbo to install on the AHU engine. Plan is to buy the turbo from Dutch Auto parts, then do the upgrade just like I have in my Passat. Low end spool with that turbo is superb. That will give me more low end torque for the truck than even a 4.7 stroker version of the inline 6. Top end horsepower should be a bit better than the stock 4.0

We are using an AX-15 transmission which is stock behind the 4.0 inline 6. The AX-5 has a poor reliability record with anything more than 4 cylinders in the Jeep World.

Knuckle720

TDI
ALH
Well, thread got from turbo suggestion to transmission suggestion, damn I love this forum, so much knowledge here :)

I've settle that if my original turbo dies, I'd got for one of the upgrades suggestions I had here. Yet, if it doesn't die too soon, I'll go for some compound setup. Way better way to learn, eh? haha

I'm currently looking for an AX15, but there as been a 6 speed (NSG370) that would match my transfer case (if I swap input shaft from 21 to 23), thus saving my driveshafts (lenght) and giving me more gearing. Would it be worth it ? I guess the 6 speed would cost way more though.

Ax15 3.83, 2.33, 1.44, 1.00, 0.79
NSG370 4.46 2.61 1.72 1.25 1.00 0.84

With 4.10's and 31s, might upgrade to 32-33s

intaketommy

TDI
VW Polo PD130
The best turbo for quickest spool on 1.9 TDI's is a GTD1752VRK. It spools much quicker than a GTC1549VZ. The turbo has ball bearing, billet wheel, small trim compressor wheel. This allows 1,5bar @ 1600rpm, but it also pulls 230hp max.
I have some good options in manifold design for this turbo.

TDIJetta99

Top Post Dawg
TDI
03... Faster than yours =]
The Toyota trans is almost identical to the AX15 trans.. some of the conversion kits actually have you use a Jeep AX15, toyota turbo bellhousing, an R151 input shaft with the toyota to VW bellhousing aapter plate..

Well yeah, obviously not exact same trans. I know the 22RTE got a different clutch, and I think the input shaft was bigger, but the rest of the trans was the same. Been a long time since I messed with one though.
My mentor in the Volkswagen world was also a Toyota master tech, so I learned a lot about them from him back in the day. He had taken a 22RTE from a rolled truck and put it in an '85 Celica GTS with a 22R head (lower compression), a reworked turbo, and a custom front mounted intercooler. That was a neat car. It was a drift king before anyone even knew what drifting was! :D

Last edited:

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
Ok, thanks for the infos.

I was wondering if the VNT15 could be used in a compoung setup with a larger turbo ?
gt1749v that came on ALH is restricted by the little tiny turbine
weld on an external wastegate with stainless rod, and it'll actually do very well as a HP turbo in a compound setup
the stock programming in the computer even does fairly well controlling the vanes as you can not overspeed the turbo with the wastegate there ready to be pushed open any time EMP gets too high, so even on spoolup where you usually would run into overboost the WG will be pushed open by exhaust pressure before the excess boost is even made.
For atmospheric turbo, you can run just about anything that feels right to your sensibilities, from a little td04 on up to something around 58mm inducer. It is much more flexible with the little turbo handling the low speed breathing.
You need to move that TJ with torque, not with hp:).
no
this displays a total lack of understanding of units
you can make 300 ft/lb at 800 RPM with enough nitrous, but you're still only making 45hp

Last edited:

Knuckle720

TDI
ALH
gt1749v that came on ALH is restricted by the little tiny turbine
weld on an external wastegate with stainless rod, and it'll actually do very well as a HP turbo in a compound setup
the stock programming in the computer even does fairly well controlling the vanes as you can not overspeed the turbo with the wastegate there ready to be pushed open any time EMP gets too high, so even on spoolup where you usually would run into overboost the WG will be pushed open by exhaust pressure before the excess boost is even made.
For atmospheric turbo, you can run just about anything that feels right to your sensibilities, from a little td04 on up to something around 58mm inducer. It is much more flexible with the little turbo handling the low speed breathing.

no
this displays a total lack of understanding of units
you can make 300 ft/lb at 800 RPM with enough nitrous, but you're still only making 45hp
Ok, I've made a QUICK little drawing over paint, correct me if I'm wrong.

So, I could have the VNT actuator do his job as intended, and have the second turbo making more PSI as long as I can keep the VNT15 in a safe zone of maximum 1990 mbar (stock map rating?) using wastegate #1?

As you stated, I rater have huge torque and low Hp, because I guess fuel economy would rise?

Last edited:

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
Huge torque and low horsepower doesn't sound like much fun. I guess it's subjective. 200 hp seems great to me, while another guy might find 200 hp to be far too weak in a 3000 lb vehicle.

Knuckle720

TDI
ALH
Huge torque and low horsepower doesn't sound like much fun. I guess it's subjective. 200 hp seems great to me, while another guy might find 200 hp to be far too weak in a 3000 lb vehicle.
Well I think 200hp with good torque would be great for a TJ. It doesn't have to be fast, just quick ;)

Power ratings are overrated most of the time. I guess it's subjective, as you've said.

Owain@malonetuning

Associate Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
PD jetta wagon
and here I am missing my "stock" 1.6td MK1.

200HP would be plenty in this, we used to tune the Coty built jeeps (HPA) and they would pull a wheel off the ground with a VNT17.(https://youtu.be/yVPbLjhtqGU?t=2m10s)

A 1549, 1752, or compound setup would be even better!

At the end of the day the highest power 4L these TJs came with made 190HP @ 4600, 235lb-ft @ 3200 and weighs almost 200lbs more than the TDI. Stock they did what, like 0-60 in 9 and a 1/4 mile in 16.5? You'll be making almost 100lb-ft more 1000RPM lower, that's a massive improvement over stock for daily driving.

Last edited:

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
Yeah, I think 150-200 hp and 250-350 ft-lb would be ideal in a TJ swap. I remember having an absolute blast on the back dirt roads with a '76 Volvo 240 making ~100 hp and weighing 3000 lbs. Didn't feel underpowered at all.

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
best of luck

do some more reading before you spend too much money.

Knuckle720

TDI
ALH
best of luck

do some more reading before you spend too much money.
Are you saying this because there something I should know, and is my sketch of a twin turbo right ?

As for the COTY built jeep, hell yeah I've looked a this video thousands of times, it's a nice build. Their jeep is probably the #1 reason I'm doing this swap. If I wanted crazy horses or speed, i'd go for a rotary engined CAR ;).

I guess my 2.5L's power won't be missed.

Thanks for your replies :)

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
intake side is wrong
feed lp compressor outlet into hp compressor inlet
goals are wrong
tq lifts heads and breaks parts, hp moves vehicle

Knuckle720

TDI
ALH
intake side is wrong
feed lp compressor outlet into hp compressor inlet
goals are wrong
tq lifts heads and breaks parts, hp moves vehicle
You are right, I used some image over the internet and didn't even notice and modified it real quick... Haha, I've edited it now. It sure looked retard after you made me notice I hadn't touched intake side.

Last edited: