any tips on frostheater install for 2011 JSW???

dvandentop

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW
any tips on installing the frostheater? need to get around to it soon, also how long did it take you if ya have good mechanical skills??

thanks

Derek

MayorDJQ

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'10 Golf 2dr 6m, sold.
Make sure you have plenty of time. It took me 3 hours and I woukd say my mechanical skills are intermediate. The hardest part for me was getting the hose clamp back on the hose on the oil cooler. I had to enlist assistance to figure it out. I couldn't get a remote hose clamp tool on it. There was also no way to get a screwdriver in there to install a rotor clamp.

Also, if you don't have them already, definitely invest in a set of non-damaging hose pinch pliers. Sears/Craftsman has a set of 3 for ~$25.

dvandentop

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW
Make sure you have plenty of time. It took me 3 hours and I woukd say my mechanical skills are intermediate. The hardest part for me was getting the hose clamp back on the hose on the oil cooler. I had to enlist assistance to figure it out. I couldn't get a remote hose clamp tool on it. There was also no way to get a screwdriver in there to install a rotor clamp.

Also, if you don't have them already, definitely invest in a set of non-damaging hose pinch pliers. Sears/Craftsman has a set of 3 for ~$25.
got a link to those hose pinch pliers??

anyway to get an old school hose clamp up in there with some kinda swivel attachments on a 8mm socket or whatever size the hose clamps usually are??

i hate damn hose clamps. any idea how much antifreeze actually needed to replinish the stock?

cqk56

TDI
2011 JSW TDI

I spent almost 1 1/2 hours trying to get this clamp tightened, finally got the right combination of extentions and angle to get to the clamp. the rest of the install was easy.

OilBurningBrit

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 JSW TDI DSG
I've not done a FrostHeater install, so don't have specific info on that, but most people overlook one useful tool for restricted space ... flex extensions for your socket set. Invaluable for several projects I've done in the past. Take a look here: http://www.amazon.com/Flexible-Extension-Ratchet-Mechanic-Tools/dp/B00129IG7W

Like I said: I've not done a FrostHeater install, so maybe someone who has struggled with one can say whether they think these would help.

Best of luck!

cqk56

TDI
2011 JSW TDI
I've not done a FrostHeater install, so don't have specific info on that, but most people overlook one useful tool for restricted space ... flex extensions for your socket set. Invaluable for several projects I've done in the past. Take a look here: http://www.amazon.com/Flexible-Extension-Ratchet-Mechanic-Tools/dp/B00129IG7W

Like I said: I've not done a FrostHeater install, so maybe someone who has struggled with one can say whether they think these would help.

Best of luck!
Those look like they would work well. wish I had those on my install, would have saved me alot of cursing and aggrevation

PeterV

TDIClub Enthusiast, HO5G Doyen & Zen Master
TDI
2000 Jetta 5 sp.
Auto DSG or 5 speed.

I had a JSW here 3 different times the DSG and a VW gasser thermostat in line with the tranny cooler. Terry the owner and I had quite a time trying to figure out why no heat was circulating.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
Those look like they would work well. wish I had those on my install, would have saved me alot of cursing and aggrevation

Added to my wish list, could has used that on panzer plate as well!