5th gear oiling update-have you seen this one??

gearbox

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
Non
Now you only have to drill one hole. Vw finally took care of us on this. Its cheap and easy IF you have your gearbox apart. Parts number at the bottom.......

that's part number 0A4 301 134 A
1stvwparts for like $4 a pop.
Please stop drilling holes in your tranny- you only need one now..........

Last edited:

Sc0

Veteran Member
TDI
'02 Golf GL 5sp Candy White Tan cloth interior
I haven't seen it but that is NICE! Unfortunately I am not going to be motivated enough to tear apart my 02J again. That oiling mod looks REALLY simple but, I cringe to think about yanking out the tranny again. That oiling mod looks REALLY simple but, I cringe to think about yanking out the tranny again...

If I blow my 02J I think I will order one from a reputable vendor with a wavetrac differential installed, 3.16R&P, and the oiling mods. Then send in my 02J, 3.16R&P, and peloquinn as a core...

gearbox

TDI
Non
peloquin issues?

you don't like your peloquin????
wavetrac? I've installed a few-not too impressed..............

Frankencar

Veteran Member
TDI
1991 GTI +TDI, Lifted 98 NB TDI, Corrado TDI Swap, 15 Golf TDI, a dozen TDI motors etc...
you don't like your peloquin????
wavetrac? I've installed a few-not too impressed..............

What's not too impressive about the Wavetrac? I have yet to hear much about it.

TDIkev

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 GLS Baltic Green Jetta 5 Spd

If vw took care of us they would have done this mod from the beginning. Dumb a$$ engineers putting an oil supply hole above the oil level. This is a bullet proof way of ensuring the 5th gear is oiled, all others are sub par...

Last edited:

gearbox

TDI
Non
good or bad?

If vw took care of us they would have done this mod from the beginning. Dumb a$$ engineers putting an oil supply hole above the oil level. This is a bullet proof way of ensuring the 5th gear is oiled, all others are sub par...
Thanks for the input-do you like the oil rail mod???? In addition I have bored a hole in between the teeth at the root of the gear. Each time the tip of the opposing gear passes over the hole it pumps oil to the needle bearing and thrust surfaces. Thanks toyotoa........ I wish I could find a reliable way to do this. Since these gears run out at 6-62Rc machining is them is difficult and unreliable.....

Whitbread

TDI
Several
hit me with a pm and i'll explain........
Please post it up.

I am a distributor for them and have installed 16 so far and they've all went in perfect and worked flawlessly. They usually require shimming but that's to be expected.

The only bad thing I've ever heard about them is that they don't hold up well at the strip in ford 9" rear ends with slicks and 600+hp.

Scott_DeWitt

Vendor
TDI
2000 Audi A4 1.9TDI quattro
I'd like to know what is bad about these wavetracs as well, I've put in perhaps 15 into 01E gearboxes and nobody has complained.

sardo_67

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf SEL 6spd
i just put one into my O2M and i guess i like it, i had a peloquin (how ever it's spelled) in my O2J that had a lot of torque steer when i got on it but the wavetrac feels stock. however i do not spin the tires now, the peloquin used to spin and then wheel hop really bad, only did that once.

turbocharged798

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 black ALH Jetta;09 Gasser Jetta
Now you only have to drill one hole. Vw finally took care of us on this. Its cheap and easy IF you have your gearbox apart. Parts number at the bottom.......

that's part number 0A4 301 134 A
1stvwparts for like $4 a pop.
Please stop drilling holes in your tranny- you only need one now..........
That's for posting that! I have seen it on your site and was wondering how it worked. Even more surprising that its a OEM VW part.

guillaumeber

Vendor
TDI
Jetta 2000 TDI
With the rail, I understand where the oil ends ( dripping on the small 5th gear) but I don't understand where the oil rail takes it supply... why would oil enter the rail at the top of the transmission? Only by the splashing of the differential gear in the oil?

thanks for claryfing this
g.b.

Frankencar

Veteran Member
TDI
1991 GTI +TDI, Lifted 98 NB TDI, Corrado TDI Swap, 15 Golf TDI, a dozen TDI motors etc...
It appears to take it's supply from the oil slinging off the ring gear.

With the rail, I understand where the oil ends ( dripping on the small 5th gear) but I don't understand where the oil rail takes it supply... why would oil enter the rail at the top of the transmission? Only by the splashing of the differential gear in the oil?

thanks for claryfing this
g.b.

crawdaddy

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Jetta Wagon TDI/5spd swap
Has anyone installed one of these, 0A4 301 134 A?
I just got one of these oil guides from VW.
Now I have to drill, where do I drill the hole?
I know the area, but I want the exact location.
Is it really important to get hole exactly right on?
Don't want it to end up looking like swiss cheese.
Does VW have a technical bulletin on how to install?

Andyinchville1

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, 5 sp, 226K miles
Bump because I am interested in the answer too ;-)

PS - of course would it be advisable to just over fill the tranny a bit so the oil circulates from the existing "high" hole?

Thanks

Andrew

Last edited:

CoolAirVw

Vendor
TDI
Jetta
I've installed the oil trough update in one. Its not rocket science. Just put it in there where it goes and where it lines up to the back trans case and drill it.

Last edited:

Houpty GT

Veteran Member
TDI
Corrado TDI, 2000 Golf, 1996 B4 Variant
It is not a good idea to overfill a transmission with oil. The increased oil level causes more friction as the gears have to churn through more fluid. This heats up the oil and causes it to breakdown sooner. Bad. It will also decrease fuel economy and power.

Powder Hound

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'00 Golf 4dr White 5sp, '02 Jettachero 5sp, Wife's '03 NB Platinum Gray auto(!)
So I'm not going to drop my transaxle and pull it apart just for this. Maybe when a clutch is due, but maybe not even then. In the meantime, drilling a hole at the bottom of that outer cover low point is a good idea. How thick is the case at that point?

Cheers,

PH