Protect Golf from dogs?

crazyjo

TDI
2003 Golf TDI - Candy White
I have a 2003 Golf and two dogs. In jumping in and out of the car, the dogs are scratching my rear bumper pretty bad. I want to put a plastic (or something) sill on the top of the bumper (the horizontal part) to protect it from doggie toenails. I have looked at a few places online but most exterior parts I can find seem to be more for looks. That's great and someday I might modify the body but what I really need now is a protective piece. I suppose I could have the car coated in kevlar....

Anyone have a part like this or know where I can find one?

jayp111

Veteran Member
TDI
n/a
crazyjo said:
I have a 2003 Golf and two dogs. In jumping in and out of the car, the dogs are scratching my rear bumper pretty bad. I want to put a plastic (or something) sill on the top of the bumper (the horizontal part) to protect it from doggie toenails. I have looked at a few places online but most exterior parts I can find seem to be more for looks. That's great and someday I might modify the body but what I really need now is a protective piece. I suppose I could have the car coated in kevlar....

Anyone have a part like this or know where I can find one?
Powder coat the entire car an be done with it <lol> no more waxing and fussing....go ahead...key the car....I dare ya.......<lol>

whatnxt

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Q5 TDI Premium +
I had the same problem.

Go to the Home Depot or other store that sells the ribbed front door matt material in rolls. Get enough to cover the length that you want. Make a pattern of the rear bumper out of paper and then transfere that to cardboard. Use that template and just cut and trim. I used double sided sticky tape to hold it on. Just make sure that the ribs are straight. It should cost you about $15.00 to do. Worked fine for me. If there are any issues, it comes off easy.

cmitchell

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS black / black leather
My suggestion would be to leave the dogs home. I've never been able to figure out why people pack these creatures around in their cars... let them in their houses... or even own one for that matter. Sorry I have a confession... My name is Chuck and I dislike dogs. But then, I'm sure you had figured that out. Back to the point... I've been looking for something similar for the Odyssey to protect the bumper from loading & unloading the kids' bikes.

MikeS_18

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Jetta Wagon, '13 Passat SE, '64 Ford Econoline
I would go with the bumper strip like the link shows and then maybe X-Pel or 3M clear bra then rest of the bumper areas.
Unfortunately, the PO on my car didn't do any of this and it is totally trashed.

crazyjo

TDI
Shastapk ~ Thank you, that is exactly what I was looking for! I just wasn't looking in all the right places. :)
whatnxt ~ I like this idea a lot, and much cheaper...also, might get slightly more coverage than the manufactured product. One of the bigger problems is toenails scraping the edge on the way by. I'll have to play with all of these ideas.
MikeS_18 ~ That's a great idea. The bumper has several minor scratches so I'll see if I can buff them out and then try the 3M. I've heard good things about it other places.
As for keeping the dogs, to each his own; although there are days.... :D

Thanks to everyone for ideas!

Last edited:

daBooj

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta GLS, 2004, could only find silver
cover up your beautiful car?! nah, there's gotta be a better way. Lets look at the other side of the problem.

How do your dogs feel about booties? Do you know how to crochet?

(yeah, I know... I've had many dogs.)

MikeS_18

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Jetta Wagon, '13 Passat SE, '64 Ford Econoline
No, they don't declaw dogs since the claws are always extended it helps them with balance etc. Cat claws are removed although it is the extendable part of the claw that they remove. And dogs use their claws for grip more than for defense or agression. (son of veterinarian here)

Slave2school

Top Post Dawg
TDI
99.5 used to at least...
Ah ok I wasn't sure, I knew tha tthey couldn't retract them but not much aside from that. I guess I should have google'd it though

crazyjo

TDI
One is a 50 lb Basset Hound/Lab mix, the other is a 70 lb Lab/who knows what mix. The Basset is easy to pick up but the other is a gangly thing and a little on the heavy side. Also, the reason they're even in the car is to go to the dog park which is muddy. Picking up a flailing muddy lab is not my idea of a good time. :)

Slave2school

Top Post Dawg
TDI
99.5 used to at least...
*salt alert* Well I guess it is more humane to outright dispose of an animal if it's scratching your furniture and you have done everything to provide other things for it to scratch at...

Last edited:

crazyjo

TDI
For the record, they also make little rubber claw covers that you can get at any pet store. I've never used them, no idea if they work but they're out there. The thought of declawing a cat makes me a little queasy, however we had a cat when I was growing up who was mentally unstable and would attack at any moment, completely unprovoked. Declawing her was the difference between bleeding every day and not. It depends on the situation, the owner, and the cat.

Slave2school

Top Post Dawg
TDI
99.5 used to at least...
BTW I was kidding, but as stated above there are some situations where an unpleasant operation has to be done. I think it IS lame when folks just get their kitty declawed for no real reason (our cats still have their claws but we lock them in the basement at night since they WILL scratch stuff if we don't).

Oh my http://www.glamourdog.com/shoes.html

Last edited:

Bosley

Veteran Member
TDI
06 TDI Wagon (A4)
Slave2school said:
*salt alert* Well I guess it is more humane to outright dispose of an animal if it's scratching your furniture and you have done everything to provide other things for it to scratch at...

Slave2school

Top Post Dawg
TDI
99.5 used to at least...
I'll have to show that one to my wife :) I think it needs a tighter lid though ;)

On a side note when I first saw the thread title I thought it was going to be about dogs urinating where they shouldn't be going.

Last edited:

jthesby

Veteran Member
TDI
'01 Silver TDI Golf
What i would try is talking to someone that installs clear bra's, they can usually cut a custom piece for you and install it, that way its all but invisible, and it protects the paint....win/ win?