Sorry another thread, but will a Stage II SB hold the torque I will be making!

Votblindub

Veteran Member
TDI
MK4 Jetta Wagon
Leave 50% margin on torque capacity. Or be doing it again at some point not to far down the road (with lesson learned).
So, if my projected figures are ~450-475, I should shoot for a 600-650 rating on a clutch to daily it?

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
So, if my projected figures are ~450-475, I should shoot for a 600-650 rating on a clutch to daily it?
yes

as clutch heats torque capacity goes down
as clutch wears torque capacity goes (briefly up, then) down

too much clutch will bog engine on hard launches, not enough clutch will slip and commit suicide
I'd err to the side of too much clutch

Last edited:

WildChild80

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI 2000 Jetta TDI 2000 New Beetle TDI ALL 5 speeds
First drive on the SB stage 2 E and I'm amazed...

When I got the transmission off, I found hardware store bolts holding the pressure plate on except for one that was rounded off beyond recognition...And also very colorful wear surfaces...There was some blue rings and some red looking rings...

Also it was a DMF and it had play in the roataion with no resistance as in an inch or 2 or rotation at the rim.

The pedal is much lighter, it starts easier and makes less noise. I'm really liking the first 40 miles soo far

It engages soo smooth

andy2

Veteran Member
TDI
13 Jetta,94 Golf drag car 585bhp,Samurai buggy BHW 300bhp,97 Ram cummins
This assumes that you don't want to change your clutch out within 3-5 years for example while working it hard.

It mostly depends on driving habits.The SB stage 2 endurance will likely hold well for over 90% of the TDI users if they don't have an LSD and/or are able to destroy 3rd gear in the 02J and/or are able put combustion pressure into the cooling system.

WildChild80

Veteran Member
TDI
I think I may want to add an LSD down the road but it'll be a while before I'm ready to pull the tranny again...It didnt go well for me...Partly because I was sick and exhausted and my helpers disappeared all the time...

What should I expect out of a car with 293k with Colt stage 2 cam, S7 turbo, upgraded SMI, 2.5 charge pipe, 3 inch turbo back and an 11 mil IP
It does have a Charlie tune but it was before I found my 11 mil IP...

YES I need an intake but I have plans in the works for one but no execution yet...

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Stock 5 speed injectors? If so fueling is your limitation. Maybe 135-140 HP, 230-240 Torque.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
People will throw out numbers, but the only way to be sure is to get it on a dyno.

WildChild80

Veteran Member
TDI
Yeah, I'm hoping for 300 ballpark to the ground...I've seen some similar builds make low 300s but I don't know if it was a pink fuzzy glove dyno or a heartbreaker... Corrected or uncorrected...

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
Yeah, I'm hoping for 300 ballpark to the ground...I've seen some similar builds make low 300s but I don't know if it was a pink fuzzy glove dyno or a heartbreaker... Corrected or uncorrected...
ft/lb is always at the crank

if it were at the wheels it'd be something more like a thousand ft/lb in fourth, or 3-4 thousand in first

WildChild80

Veteran Member
TDI
Lol, you're the first person in 37 years that I've ever heard say that...You realize 4th is 1:1 right...So if I out 1000 to the ground you'd only add 7 or so percent for crank numbers...

You subtract between 5 and 10 percent to figure what you are putting to the wheels...

Exenos

Veteran Member
TDI
02 Golf
Lol, you're the first person in 37 years that I've ever heard say that...You realize 4th is 1:1 right...So if I out 1000 to the ground you'd only add 7 or so percent for crank numbers...

You subtract between 5 and 10 percent to figure what you are putting to the wheels...

Then take into account the ring and pinion ratio... 3.9x for us iirc

WildChild80

Veteran Member
TDI
So when you do a dyno pull what 2 numbers do they give you? How and what? And what gear is it in?

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
4th is .972 and r&p is 3.389

torque is a meaningless number as far as scoot goes anyways, no time base

WildChild80

Veteran Member
TDI
4th is .972 and r&p is 3.389
torque is a meaningless number as far as scoot goes anyways, no time base
I don't know what scoot is but acceleration is directly affected by TQ...

This is why I don't get on forums anymore... Idiotic posts...

Sorry for thread jacking too

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
He's right that it's torque and rpm that makes power. 400 ft-lbs at 100 rpm is not going to get you anywhere fast. 400 ft-lbs at 4k rpm is another story.

Rrusse11

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf, 5spd; 05 Jeep CRD
Andy2:
"It mostly depends on driving habits.The SB stage 2 endurance will likely hold well for over 90% of the TDI users if they don't have an LSD"

So my upcoming auto>manual swap, with a Pelonquin just installed, will be harder on the clutch? Less slip in the diff, more pressure on the drivetrain?
Makes sense, didn't consider that side effect.
Got a used SMF clutch going in, not much use, possibly a VR6, got that with the package deal on the swap kit.

Maybe I'll hold off on going for the DLC 520s and tweaking the tune to Stage 2.
Lol, doubt it. Down the rabbit hole of upgraditis I go,,,,,,~~~~~~~~~~~~ waving my wallet.

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
I don't know what scoot is but acceleration is directly affected by TQ...
This is why I don't get on forums anymore... Idiotic posts...
Sorry for thread jacking too
rofl
units are hard

ft/lb has no time base
you can make infinite torque by hand
but hp, an adult man can make maybe 1/8hp or so

Fix_Until_Broke

Top Post Dawg
TDI
03 Jetta, 03 TT TDI
This assumes that you don't want to change your clutch out within 3-5 years for example while working it hard.

It mostly depends on driving habits.The SB stage 2 endurance will likely hold well for over 90% of the TDI users if they don't have an LSD and/or are able to destroy 3rd gear in the 02J and/or are able put combustion pressure into the cooling system.
This is the best summary "answer" to the "what clutch should I use" related questions in this thread.

The comment about being able to spin the tires is true for 1st and 2nd gear without an LSD, but it's really (deceptively) easy to apply 300 ft-lbf of torque to a clutch in 4th or 5th gear just by leaning on the throttle.

I have not heard much about damaging 3rd gear, but there are several threads about losing the splines out of 5th gear in the 02J. Seems to be luck of the draw, but if you're an unlucky one, you're the one unfortunately.

If you're regularly making and using 300 ft-lbf of torque from a 1.9 liter and don't have a "big" (GTB2260 or bigger) turbo on it, you're going to need ARP studs and stronger connecting rods at some point as well due to peak cylinder pressures being so high.

How you drive and tuning plays a big role in this as well - most tunes are relatively "soft/smooth" and don't run a lot of timing advance so you typically end up over 2200 RPM before the torque maxes out for your given throttle input and most people let the engine wind up to 3-4k RPM when they're really getting after it which is much easier on everything (clutch, rods, head gaskets, etc).

As far as the torque vs power discussion - go put your torque wrench in a vice and apply whatever the max torque you can set it to and pull on it. There - You've made xxx ft-lbf of torque and zero power, which one is more important?