Suspension Refurb

outthere

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 B5 Northern Green wagon
I'm on the original Control Arms.

I'm expecting them to go soon.

Does it make sense to do the shocks at the same time? Bilsteins seem popular, any other suggestions? (The OEM shocks have lasted a long time, whats the price diff?)

I'm waiting for things to fail, but I'm kind of planning (and budgeting) for a 'redo'. After doing the TC, timing belt, head gasket, etc. I'm slowly rebuilding the whole car!

Thx for your help, dont know much about suspensions but learning fast!

imo000

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 M-B ML320 Diesel & '05 Passat TDI Manual 5-Speed
OE not OEM. OE=Original Equipement (factory stock), OEM=Original Equipement Manufacturer (afermarket but made by the same company as OE but to lower standards).

Check if the ball joins are loose and if the bushings are cracked more than half way around. If not, leave them alone.

Fasteddie10

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta Wagon TDI, 2-2005 Passat Wagon TDIs, 2-2004 Passat Wagon TDIs
Suspension Rebuild 2004 Passat

Replaced the shocks, struts and front control arms on my 2004 Passat. The car had 182K miles on it, picked it up earlier this year, it was in need of repairs.

Used the parts from Blauparts out of Manitowoc WI. The control arm kit had ALL of the parts needed, very happy with this kit. The strut and shock kit also had ALL of the parts needed. After getting my right rear shock assembly off of the car, I could not get the top nut off, so I was very pleased that I did not have to reuse any of the parts. The shocks and struts are a little firm compared to the old parts. The car handles so much nicer, corners are more fun too!

Installed myself. Brought it in to get and alignment and the mechanic found everything in spec! He could not believe it. These are great cars!

My opinion is that the car drives like new! My son has borrowed the car for a few days now and cannot believe how nice it drives! He drives a Cadillac Seville. Found himself speeding too!

50harleyrider

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 B5.5 TDI/geared BSM, BV43A turbo,stage 2 TDTUNING. 2005 5sp manual passat tdi stage 2 tdtuning,BSM delete. 2015 Passat TDI 6sp manual.
Bora has a package for the B5.5. Unless they are abused, my experience has been tie rod ends only below 200k.

oliveone

TDI
1999.5 Jetta GL, 2002 Jetta, 2005 Passat, 2009 Jetta 6 speed M new baby :-) 2013 Passat 6 speed M Silver
when I did mine did new shocks. the Lower arms where all good had them so installed them. Lowers where a PITA. car drives great with new arms and shocks.