TDIFest 2014 coming to St Louis, Missouri

Status
Not open for further replies.

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 Jetta GLS Wagon "Cranberry"
Among other things Missouri requires all auctions to have a state licensed auctioneer.

The raffle could also be considered a 'game of chance' and some states don't like that.
So eBay is illegal in Missouri since each person selling something is technically an "auctioneer"?

bhtooefr

TDIClub Enthusiast, ToofTek Inventor
TDI
None
MRS 343.010 said:
1. No person shall exercise the trade or business of a public auctioneer by selling any goods, property or real estate, without a license.

2. "Auctioneer", as used in section 150.380 and sections 343.010, 343.070 to 343.105 is one who sells goods, merchandise, or property of any kind, at public or private auction, for another person, and who receives any commission or compensation of any kind for conducting such sale; but not including one who conducts such a sale by or under the jurisdiction of any court, or pursuant to any judicial judgment or order, or any foreclosure sale of real estate, and not including any owner of any goods, merchandise or property of any kind, who himself conducts such sale.
(There may be other laws there.)

So, eBay is the auctioneer, and the auction is occurring in California (where eBay's servers are located). Therefore, eBay is violating no laws, AFAIK. And, the seller is not acting as an auctioneer, eBay is, so the seller is violating no laws that I know of (and even if the seller was acting as an auctioneer, if it was of their own goods...)

Last edited:

Lug_Nut

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
idi: 1988 Bolens DGT1700H, the other oil burner: 1967 Saab Sonett II two stroke
2. "Auctioneer", as used in section 150.380 and sections 343.010, 343.070 to 343.105 is one who sells goods, merchandise, or property of any kind, at public or private auction, for another person, and who receives any commission or compensation of any kind for conducting such sale;....

technicalities, but the person acting to acknowlege the increasing valuation isn't paid or compensated..... To be an auctioneer the person has to both sell the object AND be compensated for that act of selling.
As long as officers of TDIClub Online LLC (beneficiaries of the sales) aren't officiating the sale, then there isn't the "AND" needed to meet both criteria.

Goodtian

TDI
Jetta 6MT TDI 2012, Platinum grey
Maybe there is some availability in Ypsi this year, this was a nice fest, very nice hotel and great area.

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
I'd be more than happy to do Ypsi again (but not for 2014). How do people feel about repeating some of the better locations?

Places I have in mind: DC, Ypsi, Maine, Lexington KY.

Goodtian

TDI
Jetta 6MT TDI 2012, Platinum grey
I think its a good idea to repeat a location, specially a place were we all had fun. Ypsi was my first fest and I really enjoy it. Maine was good too but maybe a bit to far for some people. Maybe we can do a GTG in Yspi for labor day weekend. I can help to arrange something if there is interest from other members.

Last edited:

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
What is with this anti-west of the Mississippi River/Ontario bias? :D

Don't forget Portland, OR or Park City, UT!

But my FIRST preference would be Victoria/Vancouver, BC.

Or if you want to be at the center of locations, then Lincoln/Omaha, NE or Kansas City, KS would be the place.

MonsterTDI09

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta DSG/ up keep on 2009 Jetta DSG 2006 Jetta Pag 2 in North SEA Green
I'd be more than happy to do Ypsi again (but not for 2014). How do people feel about repeating some of the better locations?

Places I have in mind: DC, Ypsi, Maine, Lexington KY.

Repeating is ok, it does make it easer to set up the fest up. I would prefer a different place every year. So all member have a chance to come to one.

I like them all to repeat but ditch DC it's to close:rolleyes:

VeeDubTDI

TDI
My thoughts on this are that repeating locations (maybe not every year, but on an every-other-year schedule) will allow us to focus our efforts on growing the event and expanding activities and vendor participation. New locations take a lot of time to get everything sorted out - a learning curve, if you will.

As for the west coast, there is nothing precluding locations on the west coast except for dedicated and committed local members. There is no reason why it can't happen there... just need the support staff to make it happen.

MonsterTDI09

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta DSG/ up keep on 2009 Jetta DSG 2006 Jetta Pag 2 in North SEA Green
Sounds like a good idea. Now we need volunteers to do the leg work on new location:rolleyes:.

1854sailor

Resident Curmudgeon
TDI
2015 Golf SE SportWagen, 2015 Golf SE Hatch Back.
My thoughts on this are that repeating locations (maybe not every year, but on an every-other-year schedule) will allow us to focus our efforts on growing the event and expanding activities and vendor participation. New locations take a lot of time to get everything sorted out - a learning curve, if you will...
Maybe, the next time the Fest is in Maine, we will be able to see something besides fog from the top of Mt. Washington! :D

Last edited:

1854sailor

Resident Curmudgeon
TDI
2015 Golf SE SportWagen, 2015 Golf SE Hatch Back.
Hail, perhaps? :D
Hail is one thing that I have never experienced up there. Snow, sleet, rain, BIG wind, brilliant sun. We were hiking the Jewell trail once many years ago on a beautiful day and a cloud dropped down on us causing a total white out. Bright white so dense that you could not see your hand 6 inches in front of your face; very eerie. We all just sat down and waited for it to lift.

ymz

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI Wagon, 2003 Jetta TDI Wagon
Hail is one thing that I have never experienced up there.
I believe that occasionally when the 41st President was going to his Kennebunkport residence one heard a rendition of Hail to the Chief... (But, as you indicated, perhaps you weren't around at that time and never experienced it...)

Yuri

Abacus

That helpful B4 guy
TDI
Only the B4V left
Maybe, the next time the Fest is in Maine, we will be able to see something besides fog from the top of Mt. Washington! :D
I've been up it dozens of times so I can say this with some surety: there are many things you DON'T want to see on the top of Mt Washington, and fog is not on the list. Be thankful it was only fog.

darkscout

Grammar Scout
TDI
2003 Golf
Muskegon, MI. On the beaches of West Michigan, also called the "Third Shoreline" is a quaint little city with a ferry from Milwaukee (Imagine a Diesel talk from the engineers for that boat, or a ferry of nothing but TDI's). A state park for camping. Multiple hotels in the area.

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
Well, since our family reunion has been on Labor Day weekend since 1988, I'll be attending it this year. I doubt that I'll attend another TDI Club Annual event!

VeeDubTDI

TDI
Well, since our family reunion has been on Labor Day weekend since 1988, I'll be attending it this year. I doubt that I'll attend another TDI Club Annual event!
We will certainly miss you if you don't come to any more Fests!

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Or you could just schedule the reunions to cities where TDIFest is scheduled! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.