Speaker replacement 15 SE

Jb22

TDI
2015 Passat DSG
For what it's worth...
I've seen a few threads and watched closely about replacing factory head units. I intend to get there someday, but took a slightly different track to upgrading the audio in a 15 SE with RNS 315. My plan was this, prioritized mainly by budget and secondarily hoping someone could figure out the rear view camera.
All of this work is being done by a local stereo shop, I'm not really patient and the idea of tearing my car apart and smashing it to bits isn't appealing, so unfortunately I have no photos.
1- I added a subwoofer/amp. It's all I ever had to do in any car before. This added some low end, but honestly not a terrible amount because it was installed at high (speaker) level, and the stock door speakers break up before this was useful. Had I replaced the head unit first, I would have definitely used the pre-amp output. My installer (I know opinions vary on this) used speaker level because a LOC was sort of more money and he didn't feel that it was worth the dough. There is a more expensive LOC by JL - about $300, but at that point I'f have just replaced the whole head end. I lived like this for a couple of months.
2- Replace the stock "6 speaker" system. I used new Pioneer D series component speakers up front and coaxial speakers on the rear door. Of note, my installer could only find stock VW mid range, no tweeters in the back door. That is, there was no tweeter either attached or separate. It wasn't a full range speaker. Anyway, this phase has produced GREAT results. The speakers don't break up so easily, and the sub pounds through at low volumes - as well as quite loud. I'll keep it like this a while, if I feel the urge, I'll move to step 3.
3- An external amp to power the speakers (they are being run by the RNS 315 now). This should clean up the signal a little, and may the whole thing cleaner at higher volumes. I'm no spring chicken, but I do love me some Motorhead at high volume.
4- If necessary, I'll add a new receiver. I probably would have started there, but it seems fairly complicated in a VW, specifically when it comes to integrating the RVC. I know I could just add a new one, but this stage is by far the most expensive. If I'm being honest, I don't hate the RNS 315. Its UI is clunky and it's ugly, but it's fairly fast, the bluetooth setup works for me, I have a lightning cable for the also clunky MDI input, and it's highly unlikely that anyone will steal it.
For those of you (everyone but me) this is a pretty DIY friendly approach.

Cheers!