Selling the JSW, but the replacement will still be a diesel!

dzcad90

Rolex & gin
TDI
Jetta - 97 (RIP), '03 (Sold), '09
Looks very nice!!

Is the X5 more Q5 or Q7 sized?

From a sheer estimated resale point, I think the BMW was a wise choice over the T-Reg, especially with the $500 difference. With BMW being a premium name, in a few years this will probably hold more of it's value vs a similarly equipped T-Reg of the same model year.

ToeBall

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 VW Jetta Wagon TDI
If they offered the 40d, I'd go for it too, but however I look at it, no manual gearbox sucks.

piney

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW-TDI/DSG
That is a sweet ride, didn't realize they were building a X5 diesel. It won't touch the JSW for MPG though but it will likely be a great vehicle for many years to come.

alberg

Veteran Member
TDI
1.6 Tdi CR
Best luck with your new Bimmer X5 ride.
They look very nice, the X1 is on the go at the moment, then you have the X3.
Anyway, I think you would be better off with the 3.0d, in europe they also come out with 2.0d ( 2.0 diesel 177hp) because the 2.5d,3.5d engines that use twinturbo are so so and do eat more fuel.
I have a friend that has a 525d and gets 10L/100km with soft footing.
While if he had the 520d would be 7 or 7.5L.
I don´t know if in the US all bimmers come with run flat tires.
Cost alot more than same non runflat.

A8540TDI

TDI
Golf Mk VI TDI, 335d
I have a 335d that uses the same engine as the X5d, it is very powerful but does not give the same economy as my Golf TDI! All BMW's come with run flat tires and they are both expensive and undesirable, being heavy and harsh riding. As nice as the 335d is, I think the TDI is 90% of the car for about 60% of the cost!

acrossthepond

Veteran Member
TDI
several now 2016 Mk7 Golf GTD DSG
I have a 335d that uses the same engine as the X5d, it is very powerful but does not give the same economy as my Golf TDI! All BMW's come with run flat tires and they are both expensive and undesirable, being heavy and harsh riding. As nice as the 335d is, I think the TDI is 90% of the car for about 60% of the cost!

I thought that BMW M cars didn't have run flats ?

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
is it just so they don't have to carry a spare?

acrossthepond

Veteran Member
TDI
several now 2016 Mk7 Golf GTD DSG
I suspect they are non run flats for better performance at the end of the day.
Do BMW provide an actual spare anyway with run flat equipped cars ??
I would assume not but may be wrong .....

masterflex164

Veteran Member
TDI
Is the X5 more Q5 or Q7 sized?

From a sheer estimated resale point, I think the BMW was a wise choice over the T-Reg, especially with the $500 difference. With BMW being a premium name, in a few years this will probably hold more of it's value vs a similarly equipped T-Reg of the same model year.
Little bigger than the Q5, but smaller than the Q7

Dariof

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW TDI

I made the exact same analyses. I almost bought the 335D, but felt the JSW was close enough in performance without the price.

But, the BMW carries more prestige. I decided I am tired of going that route also. From now on, no more 50% depreciating vehicles over 50K.

IMAAaron

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 JSW - Third time's a charm
It's a nice car and all, but it's a shame you have to put up with the nuances that accompany it. I hear it has some fuel pumps grenading, POS turbos, paper thin oil pans, noisy door seals, and leaky sunroofs. Oh wait, I'm thinking of something completely different. Nice ride.