Emission: P1562 Quantity Adjuster (N146) upper limit reached

NutnBolt

TDI
2002 Jetta TDI Manual Black
Hi Folks,
I read all the threads on this topic and some were very informative. Before I begin, I have a few questions for which some of you may have some good insight.

My 2002 Jetta TDI throws the CEL only on starting the car. Initially this happened 6 months ago after I stopped for fuel and restarted. The car and the
outside temp was warm. I cleared the CEL and it came back on after start a couple of months ago. I cleared it. The car runs fine - no issues. It even starts fine. I am now at the point the last week where each time I start the car it throws the CEL(which always includes glow plug light blinking and check engine light on).

I checked all the fuses - all good.
I do not know where relay 109 is - can anyone help?
Do I need a special tool to uncover the IP and is it likely the QA is bad?
My awesome car has 187k with this fuel pump - should I have it replaced?
May this be caused by something else?

Thanks much for any help with this,

jcrews

Top Post Dawg
TDI
All gone
The code you listed is for quantity adjuster blockage. When the ECM powers up, it sends a test signal through the QA, that cycles it through its range of motion. The MPDS (QA position sensor) is monitored for the start of motion, and the end of motion. If either position is wrong (start/stop should occur near the real physical limits), a code for upper or lower limit reached will be set, as appropriate.

To see what is going on, read measuring block group 019 to see the sensed start/stop positions. Water/dirt contamination, or wear can cause this problem.

Metalnerd makes a triangle bit for the security bolt, and the rest are ordinary star drive screws (T27 if memory serves).

Relay 109 is above the pedal cluster, on the relay panel. Remove the cover to see the panel.

You will probably end up rebuilding the pump to get it back to good working order.

Bosserdet

TDI
Passat, TDI, 2014
jcrews,

Thanks for the input, yours answer is the best and most direct. That's what I needed. If you have rebuilt a pump before. Where did you get the rebuild kit? I to have rebuild it myself I don't trust anyone with my cars.

Bosserdet

TDI
Passat, TDI, 2014
Well, the rebuild kit I got was nothing like what I needed. It just had a few seals and gaskets. Skipped that idea.

NutnBolt,

I was having the same problems as you. After reading and doing a little research it seemed like my best bet was a New Injector Pump. But before I spent $1200 on a new pump. I pulled the old one completely apart. Without a doubt the pump was ready to be replaced. According to my research these pumps have a life span of about 150,000 miles. Mine had 345,000 on it so I figure I got my moneys worth.

I purchased the pump from idparts.com, new. The rebuilt Injection Pump just did not make since to me. Just put it all back together Saturday. Cleared the codes and the car idles like its new again. CEL light is not coming back on and the coil light is not blinking at me! :)